Atheros installer for macOS Mojave and Catalina 2.0

1 Screenshot

About This File

Please read me:

Ever since macOS Mojave came out (I mean the first DP) Apple removed the support for Atheros based WiFi Adapters from the IO80211Family.kext, so to fix it we need to add the AirPortAtheros40.kext to the Extensions manually.

After each clean install the AirPortAtheros40.kext needs to be installed and after clean installing Mojave DPs after few times I decides to create this app to save some time.

How to use it:

This application will install the missing AirPortAtheros40.kext into /System/Library/Extensions and after the installation is done and once you reboot your computer the Atheros based WiFi adapters will be enabled.

The installation is the first step of the process and it is fast but the next steps which are repairing the permission on /System/Library/Extensions and rebuilding the system caches might take a while so please wait until you were asked to reboot your computer.

I'm using a TP-Link WDN4800 with an Atheros chipset and it works on other similar hardware.

If this app helped you please consider donating; any amount is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-09 at 7.49.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.40.43 PM.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.43.28 PM.PNG

1680545780_ScreenShot2018-09-16at4_43_07PM.PNG.059f2ac981e9580873d85f97a2504e72.PNGScreen Shot 2018-09-16 at 4.53.37 PM.PNG

What's New in Version 1.0.1   See changelog

Released

Some minor changes to the dialogs and progress report.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 20
  • Confused 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

5 hours ago, ellaosx said:

It wont work if we put it in clover's "others" folder because it needs IO80211Family dependency, correct?

No you just need to run the installer inside macOS Mojave like a normal installer and it will add the missing kext file to macOS Mojave's /S/L/E and after reboot it will activate the WiFi.

The first time I tried to fix the WiFi by adding the file to clover it didn't work and I doubt it will work now.

• Like 1

ah so the 3rd pic. Thanks :)

Im just making sure. i hope there is no v2.

I ordered TL-WN881ND and was not compatible due to v2 which is realtek chipset

• Like 1

You're welcome, I believe mine is a v1 because it definitely has an Atheros chip inside because if it was the Realtek version it shouldn't have worked with atheros kext.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, Cyberdevs said:

No you just need to run the installer inside macOS Mojave like a normal installer and it will add the missing kext file to macOS Mojave's /S/L/E and after reboot it will activate the WiFi.

The first time I tried to fix the WiFi by adding the file to clover it didn't work and I doubt it will work now.

i did same and it failed, cant work if just put airport kext into clover folder

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldman20 said:

i did same and it failed, cant work if just put airport kext into clover folder

Yup, that's why I made this installer :)

8 hours ago, Carlos Novas said:

Excelente funcionando 100%  Mojave 10.14

38 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I’m not seeing 5Ghz channels when using this.

This is Apple's original AirPortAtheros40.kext with no modifications.

I'll need to check and see if there's other dependencies for 5GHz channels or not.

I got it working after installing the kext in the correct location, System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros40.kext

Ive ordered a broadcom based wifi adapter going forward so its not a huge issue for me but may help others.

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

I got it working after installing the kext in the correct location, System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros40.kext

Ive ordered a broadcom based wifi adapter going forward so its not a huge issue for me but may help others.

Yeah the location doesn't matter I just installed it in /S/L/E and as you can see I have 5GHz 

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 4.24.33 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Only problem will be if apple update the header of IO80211Family, this will probably prevent atheros from loading :(

19 minutes ago, Crabhunter said:

Any idea why I'm getting this error?

Is SIP enabled on your hack? if so disable it and try again.

Even though if it's enabled the installer should run ok but these errors are related to the system caches are being rebuilt by the app which for some reasons they can't be updated.

Hello from Spain.
I can't mount de .dmg file. The Security and Privacy options allow apps downloaded from anywere.... Any idea to resolve? 

45464694_Screenshot2018-11-29at20_22_24.png.b6a33178f454389c5a9000fb529b99c1.png

Screenshot 2018-11-29 at 20.28.16.png

Edited by virori

11 hours ago, virori said:

Hello from Spain.
I can't mount de .dmg file. The Security and Privacy options allow apps downloaded from anywere.... Any idea to resolve? 

Thanks for reporting the issue, I uploaded the compressed version of the app.

Please try it and let me know if you have any issues.

Saludos. Cyberdevs todo marchaba bien con la aplicación pero al reinstalar el sistema a 10.14.1 no hay manera de que aparezca la conexión Wifi, alguna manera de solucionar gracias 

4 hours ago, Carlos Novas said:

Saludos. Cyberdevs todo marchaba bien con la aplicación pero al reinstalar el sistema a 10.14.1 no hay manera de que aparezca la conexión Wifi, alguna manera de solucionar gracias 

Saludos @Carlos Novas

If your wifi adapter is using the Atheros chipset the issue you're having most likely is due to the system caches.

Use this app to rebuild the system caches and after that the wifi will be back.