Jump to content
crazybirdy

Mojave MBR HFS Firmware Check Patch 10.14.x

By crazybirdy ( Find their other files )

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR HFS+ partition.

 

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.14 HFS Firmware check by crazybirdy.

 

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "
An error occurred while verifying firmware".
3. Patch to stop auto-convert to APFS , "
ConvertToAPFS=false" is no longer worked with 10.14.
4. This patched MBR OSInstaller will never convert to APFS, and will always install as HFS+ partition.
5. This patched MBR OSInstaller method
works with both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

 

What's the difference between createinstallmedia method, MBR-Manual-Method, and MBR-Automatic-Method?
As the following....
1. createinstallmedia method,

    needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, which is worked with GUID partition only, always convert to APFS format.
2. MBR-Manual-Method (same as 10.12),

    install via stage 2 manually, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

    We can manually format as MBR or GPT, HFS+ or APFS on installation screen like as 10.12.

    We can manually select MBR HFS+ partition to install 10.13 and 10.14 on installation screen now.

    Needn't to update the MBR-Manual-Method files, it will still work on 10.13, and 10.14 future versions, I think so.

    It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition only, but can't be installed as update from previous version.

3. MBR-Automatic-Method (new for 10.13+),

    install via stage 2 automatically, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

    It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition, and can be installed as update from previous version.


How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Manual-Method)?

Just use MBR-EasyInstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.12.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

 

How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Automatic-Method)?

Just use 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.13.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

 

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

 

MBR-EasyInstallMake.gif.5ad5ca70425eca0bc85a9a63318cd160.gif

 

14MBRinstallerMaker.thumb.gif.504e7741aa883bf4158f0526988776b5.gif

 

Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
A6. Some people download installer app from App Store, and get only 18 MB size, not the complete installer app (5.68 GB). You should boot to 10.12, or 10.13 to download it again from App Store, or use script Q6-DownloadFullApp/installScript_1014fullapp to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com.

 

installScript_fullapp.thumb.gif.963b53da652e145e4ef5a4d461859f0a.gif

 


What's New in Version 10.14.x

Released

2019.06.04    End of MBR and HFS+, there is no more MBR HFS+ patch available for 10.15.

 

APFS only works with GPT. The dirs structure of 10.15 is much different with 10.14.

 

I can't find any way to patch it with two partitions on 10.15.

Maybe, if someone can patch it someday, or not.

10.15Data.png.df064037787d94f7fae457a5283a9f8d.png

 

2019.05.14    Update to 10.14.5. (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.03.26    Add support to 10.14.4 BaseSystem.dmg. (MBR-EasyInstallerMaker)

2019.02.13    Update script to make update-installer-dmg on Desktop. (Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_101X)




User Feedback

Recommended Comments



製作 macOS Mojave 10.14 MBR 安裝盤,你需要兩個分區,

一個 A.Disk1mbrInstaller, 最小空間: 2.5 GB,這是開機安裝盤。

一個 B.Disk2InstallData, 最小空間: 25.0 GB,這是你即將安裝 10.14 的系統分區。

 

Make macOS Mojave 10.14 MBR installer, you need two partitions,

one for A.Disk1mbrInstaller, minimal size: 2.5 GB, hdd or USB, MBR or GPT, this is MBR-installer boot disk.

one for B.Disk2InstallData, minimal size: 25.0 GB, MBR hdd, this is which one you want to install 10.14 now.

 

已找到 Found /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/OSInstaller

已找到 Found /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/Disk2InstallData/.IAProductInfo

已找到 Found /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/Disk2InstallData/macOS Install Data/index.sproduct

已找到 Found /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/Disk2InstallData/macOS Install Data/MacOSXInstaller.choiceChanges

已找到 Found /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/Disk2InstallData/macOS Install Data/minstallconfig.xml

 

 

You will need three steps to make installer.

 

1.Drag in the full Installer App (from Finder): ............................................. it's the Full Installer App.

2.Drag in the partition to write Disk1mbrInstaller as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): ......... it's the USB for MBR Installer.

3.Drag in the partition to write Disk2InstallData as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): .......... it's the HDD to install Mojave now.

 

 

1.拖入 原始 Installer App : 

1.Drag in the full Installer App (from Finder): /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app 

 

  選用的 Installer App 版本為   10.14.4 18E226

  The selected Installer App is 10.14.4 18E226

 

  Disk1mbrInstaller 至少 2.5 GB 空間

  先格盤為 HFS, Mac OS 擴展 分區,所有資料將被刪除

 

  Disk1mbrInstaller, minimal size: 2.5 GB, hdd or USB, MBR or GPT.

  Please format as HFS, Mac OS Extended partition, all data will be removed.

 

2.拖入 要寫入的 Disk1mbrInstaller 安裝盤分區 /Volumes/xxxxx : 

2.Drag in the partition to write Disk1mbrInstaller as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): /Volumes/USB 

 

  Disk2InstallData 至少 25.0 GB 空間

  即為 現在要安裝 10.14 的 系統分區

  可安裝至 空白分區 或 現有系統 如 10.12.6

  建議選用 HFS+, Mac OS 擴展 (日誌式) 分區,本區資料將被保留

 

  Disk2InstallData, minimal size: 25.0 GB MBR hdd

  This is which one you want to install 10.14 now.

  You can install to a blank partition, or update to earlier version like as 10.12.6

  Select one HFS+, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition, all data will be reserved.

 

3.拖入 要寫入的 Disk2InstallData 系統盤分區 /Volumes/xxxxx : 

3.Drag in the partition to write Disk2InstallData as /Volumes/xxxxx (from Finder): /Volumes/M550 

 

4.選用 已經修改過的 OSInstaller 文件 : 

4.Select the patched MBR OSInstaller file: 

  /Users/macos/Downloads/OSInstaller.MBR.10.14.3.18D42/OSInstaller

 

Disk /Volumes/macOS Base System/ ejected

 

正在開啓/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Opening /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

 

未找到 /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Not found /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

 

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

 

[进程已完成]

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

正在開啓/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Opening /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

 

未找到 /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Not found /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

 

please help me

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iaihc said:

正在開啓/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

Opening /Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg

 

未找到 /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

Not found /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

 

please help me

 

Check the md5 of InstallESD.dmg.

 

InstallESD.dmg 文件不完整!你應該無法在 Finder 手動開啟 InstallESD.dmg,可能需要重新下載!

 

建議你用新的腳本,因為 10.14.4 18E226 有變化!

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I successfully mbr patched but there I somthing didn't work it's image restore file when try open image in installer disk utility nothing opened 

Edited by kingbrazile

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingbrazile said:

I successfully mbr patched but there I somthing didn't work it's image restore file when try open image in installer disk utility nothing opened 

 

Sorry, I don't understand what you said.

 

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Sorry, I don't understand what you said.

 

sorry for my English 

I have disk image from high Sierra system I need to restore from disk utility but restore options didn't work 

Edited by kingbrazile

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kingbrazile said:

sorry for my English 

I have disk image from high Sierra system I need to restore from disk utility but restore options didn't work 

 

Just use MBR-EasyInstallerMaker or 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /community/index.php on this server.

 

Here's a screenshot

Spoiler

1283995838_Screenshot_2019-04-09APFSfilesystems.thumb.png.619b2cee5dd42216bd2b49105d05af95.png

https://files.catbox.moe/v6dcgh.png

 

 

I figured this information might be of interest for you, so there you go.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Thanks, i see, but I don't know, what's the point?

 

Don't ask me what the point is, Apple Inc. did that. This means that a security update could convert your HFS+ install into APFS, I suppose. Proprietary software cr*p, so to speak. 

Edited by illdev

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illdev said:

 

Don't ask me what the point is, Apple Inc. did that. This means that a security update could convert your HFS+ install into APFS, I suppose. Proprietary software cr*p, so to speak. 

Yes, the security update is just like a version update, it will convert to APFS.

So,

I have update script for MBR HFS+, work fine without any issue with both 10.13, 10.14.

 

That is why i do not see the point, it is not an issue for me.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

Yes, the security update is just like a version update, it will convert to APFS.

So,

I have update script for MBR HFS+, work fine without any issue with both 10.13, 10.14.

 

That is why i do not see the point, it is not an issue for me.

 

Until now I wasn't aware of that, I simply didn't see it.
Thanks for the heads up and thanks again.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to update 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 using Q7 manually as prior versions but install failed.

Any ideas? Clover is almost latest. 

Thx

Dans

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

Tried to update 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 using Q7 manually as prior versions but install failed.

Any ideas? Clover is almost latest. 

Thx

Dans

 

Works fine here without any issue.

1831077675_2019-05-154_55_11.thumb.gif.c20e6444b2047dd6f81ee19ce7192240.gif

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible to put the 25GB portion on a different drive than the OS drive? I want to do an in place upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, yet the SSD doesn't have 25GB available. What is the workaround? Thanks in advance!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Is it possible to put the 25GB portion on a different drive than the OS drive? I want to do an in place upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, yet the SSD doesn't have 25GB available. What is the workaround? Thanks in advance!

 

No, the 25G is the partition to install macOS.

I didn't try it with small than 25G.

 

You can move some data and other app to the other partition, it should give you 25G space, and move back after upgrade.

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

 

No, the 25G is the partition to install macOS.

I didn't try it with small than 25G.

 

You can move some data and other app to the other partition, it should give you 25G space, and move back after upgrade.

Yeah. Thought about that this morning. Guess I will likely do that. Know of a download link to Clover 4514? Basically the mojave installer install guide wasn't very clear about what to modify to use a new version. Prefer to do it the easiest way...there was something about fdisk versus dd or something?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Yeah. Thought about that this morning. Guess I will likely do that. Know of a download link to Clover 4514? Basically the mojave installer install guide wasn't very clear about what to modify to use a new version. Prefer to do it the easiest way...there was something about fdisk versus dd or something?

Only after Clover r4700.

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder

 

I don't understand what you mean?

Why to use fdisk and dd?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

Only after Clover r4700.

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder

 

I don't understand what you mean?

Why to use fdisk and dd?

In the How To file it says some things. Do these things get done automatically when using the automatic method? Does it look to see what version of Clover is installed and adjust based on that? :

"
Clover r4514+ boot Mojave fine.
Clover r4541+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(can't write boot0, fdisk440 32bit is no more supported.)
Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

In the How To file it says some things. Do these things get done automatically when using the automatic method? Does it look to see what version of Clover is installed and adjust based on that? :

"
Clover r4514+ boot Mojave fine.
Clover r4541+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(can't write boot0, fdisk440 32bit is no more supported.)
Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)

The script just make installer partition.

You need to install Clover if you need it.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

The script just make installer partition.

You need to install Clover if you need it.

Right...but what does this mean?: 

"Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)"

 

Is it this? "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1"?


Machine is GUID and EFI, by the way. 

Edited by IAMTHEONLYGOD

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Right...but what does this mean?: 

"Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)"

 

Is it this? "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1"?


Machine is GUID and EFI, by the way. 

 

Please read Clover topic,  boot0af is used for MBR, not GUID and EFI.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

×