Jump to content
crazybirdy

Mojave MBR HFS Firmware Check Patch 10.14.x

By crazybirdy ( Find their other files )

1 Screenshot

About This File

Patched OSInstaller.framework to allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR HFS+ partition.

 

To use those patched files you must follow HowTo to create an USB installer. You can't just run the app downloaded from Mac App Store.

The patch is made base on 落下爱@pcbeta 10.10.x MBR patch method, and more patch for 10.14 HFS Firmware check by crazybirdy.

 

What is this patched OSInstaller doing?
1. Patch the MBR check, allow macOS 10.14 installation on MBR partition.
2. Patch the Firmware check, bypass the error of "
An error occurred while verifying firmware".
3. Patch to stop auto-convert to APFS , "
ConvertToAPFS=false" is no longer worked with 10.14.
4. This patched MBR OSInstaller will never convert to APFS, and will always install as HFS+ partition.
5. This patched MBR OSInstaller method
works with both MBR HFS+ and GPT HFS+ partition (GPT+recovery).

No longer need to set new SMbiosversion, FirmwareFeatures, and FirmwareFeaturesMask with this MBR-patch.

 

What's the difference between createinstallmedia method, MBR-Manual-Method, and MBR-Automatic-Method?
As the following....
1. createinstallmedia method,

    needs stage 1, stage 2 installation process, which is worked with GUID partition only, always convert to APFS format.
2. MBR-Manual-Method (same as 10.12),

    install via stage 2 manually, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

    We can manually format as MBR or GPT, HFS+ or APFS on installation screen like as 10.12.

    We can manually select MBR HFS+ partition to install 10.13 and 10.14 on installation screen now.

    Needn't to update the MBR-Manual-Method files, it will still work on 10.13, and 10.14 future versions, I think so.

    It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition only, but can't be installed as update from previous version.

3. MBR-Automatic-Method (new for 10.13+),

    install via stage 2 automatically, which is worked with both MBR and GUID, HFS+ and APFS, will never convert the partition format.

    It can be installed as Fresh installation on formated blank partition, and can be installed as update from previous version.


How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Manual-Method)?

Just use EasyMBR-InstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.12.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

 

How to make 10.14 installer for MBR (MBR-Automatic-Method)?

Just use 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer, it works with both MBR and GPT.

Read HowTo inside the dmg first, same as 10.13.

Read HowTo Q/A Q5. How to patch to work with CPU SSE4.1 only for Mojave?
Read HowTo Q/A Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
Read HowTo Q/A Q7. How to update 10.14.x combo-update to MBR and GPT with installScript directly?

 

And, need a SMBIOS supported with /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

 

EasyMBR-Installer1013.gif.cb360f3033945b1b3cd19711482e36c0.gif

14MBRinstallerMaker.thumb.gif.504e7741aa883bf4158f0526988776b5.gif

 

Q6. How to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com, instead of App Store?
A6. Some people download installer app from App Store, and get only 18 MB size, not the complete installer app (5.68 GB). You should boot to 10.12, or 10.13 to download it again from App Store, or use script Q6-DownloadFullApp/installScript_1014fullapp to download the full installer app via swscan.apple.com.

 

installScript_fullapp.thumb.gif.963b53da652e145e4ef5a4d461859f0a.gif

 


What's New in Version 10.14.x

Released

2020.07.13    Update Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2020.05.30    Update Readme.

2020.02.25    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2020.01.30    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.12.06    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp

2019.11.02    Add Old-macOS-10+11+12/installScript_1012fullapp.

2019.11.01    Update Q7-Update-installScript.

2019.10.10    Update Q7-Update-installScript, Q8-MBR-Update1014

2019.09.28    Update to 10.14.6.18G103 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.09.11    Update Q6-DownloadFullApp.

2019.08.26    Update to 10.14.6.18G95 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.08.02    Update to 10.14.6.18G87 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.07.23    Update to 10.14.6.18G84 (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.06.20    MBR HFS+ is back for 10.15 now via MBR-Manual-Method.

2019.06.04    End of MBR and HFS+, there is no more MBR HFS+ patch available for 10.15 OSInstaller.

2019.05.14    Update to 10.14.5. (MBR-Auto-Method14)

2019.03.26    Add support to 10.14.4 BaseSystem.dmg. (MBR-EasyInstallerMaker)

2019.02.13    Update script to make update-installer-dmg on Desktop. (Q7-Update-installScript/installScript_101X)




User Feedback

Recommended Comments



1 hour ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Sorry, I don't understand what you said.

 

sorry for my English 

I have disk image from high Sierra system I need to restore from disk utility but restore options didn't work 

Edited by kingbrazile

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kingbrazile said:

sorry for my English 

I have disk image from high Sierra system I need to restore from disk utility but restore options didn't work 

 

Just use MBR-EasyInstallerMaker or 14MBRinstallerMaker to make installer.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Thanks, i see, but I don't know, what's the point?

 

Don't ask me what the point is, Apple Inc. did that. This means that a security update could convert your HFS+ install into APFS, I suppose. Proprietary software cr*p, so to speak. 

Edited by illdev

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, illdev said:

 

Don't ask me what the point is, Apple Inc. did that. This means that a security update could convert your HFS+ install into APFS, I suppose. Proprietary software cr*p, so to speak. 

Yes, the security update is just like a version update, it will convert to APFS.

So,

I have update script for MBR HFS+, work fine without any issue with both 10.13, 10.14.

 

That is why i do not see the point, it is not an issue for me.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

Yes, the security update is just like a version update, it will convert to APFS.

So,

I have update script for MBR HFS+, work fine without any issue with both 10.13, 10.14.

 

That is why i do not see the point, it is not an issue for me.

 

Until now I wasn't aware of that, I simply didn't see it.
Thanks for the heads up and thanks again.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried to update 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 using Q7 manually as prior versions but install failed.

Any ideas? Clover is almost latest. 

Thx

Dans

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dans1975 said:

Tried to update 10.14.4 to 10.14.5 using Q7 manually as prior versions but install failed.

Any ideas? Clover is almost latest. 

Thx

Dans

 

Works fine here without any issue.

1831077675_2019-05-154_55_11.thumb.gif.c20e6444b2047dd6f81ee19ce7192240.gif

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible to put the 25GB portion on a different drive than the OS drive? I want to do an in place upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, yet the SSD doesn't have 25GB available. What is the workaround? Thanks in advance!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Is it possible to put the 25GB portion on a different drive than the OS drive? I want to do an in place upgrade from Sierra to Mojave, yet the SSD doesn't have 25GB available. What is the workaround? Thanks in advance!

 

No, the 25G is the partition to install macOS.

I didn't try it with small than 25G.

 

You can move some data and other app to the other partition, it should give you 25G space, and move back after upgrade.

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crazybirdy said:

 

No, the 25G is the partition to install macOS.

I didn't try it with small than 25G.

 

You can move some data and other app to the other partition, it should give you 25G space, and move back after upgrade.

Yeah. Thought about that this morning. Guess I will likely do that. Know of a download link to Clover 4514? Basically the mojave installer install guide wasn't very clear about what to modify to use a new version. Prefer to do it the easiest way...there was something about fdisk versus dd or something?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Yeah. Thought about that this morning. Guess I will likely do that. Know of a download link to Clover 4514? Basically the mojave installer install guide wasn't very clear about what to modify to use a new version. Prefer to do it the easiest way...there was something about fdisk versus dd or something?

Only after Clover r4700.

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder

 

I don't understand what you mean?

Why to use fdisk and dd?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

Only after Clover r4700.

https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder

 

I don't understand what you mean?

Why to use fdisk and dd?

In the How To file it says some things. Do these things get done automatically when using the automatic method? Does it look to see what version of Clover is installed and adjust based on that? :

"
Clover r4514+ boot Mojave fine.
Clover r4541+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(can't write boot0, fdisk440 32bit is no more supported.)
Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

In the How To file it says some things. Do these things get done automatically when using the automatic method? Does it look to see what version of Clover is installed and adjust based on that? :

"
Clover r4514+ boot Mojave fine.
Clover r4541+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(can't write boot0, fdisk440 32bit is no more supported.)
Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)

The script just make installer partition.

You need to install Clover if you need it.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

The script just make installer partition.

You need to install Clover if you need it.

Right...but what does this mean?: 

"Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)"

 

Is it this? "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1"?


Machine is GUID and EFI, by the way. 

Edited by IAMTHEONLYGOD

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Right...but what does this mean?: 

"Clover r4640+ pkg - Writing boot0af to /dev/disk0 with Mojave.(fix with dd instead of fdisk440.)"

 

Is it this? "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1"?


Machine is GUID and EFI, by the way. 

 

Please read Clover topic,  boot0af is used for MBR, not GUID and EFI.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

 

Please read Clover topic,  boot0af is used for MBR, not GUID and EFI.

Thanks for explaining! Planning to upgrade today. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used 14MBRinstallerMaker (2.5GB portion on an external USB drive) and rebooted. Installer started and after selecting language it beachballed for a while and then went blank and then said: "Error occured while loading the installer resources"

 

Solution??? Thanks in advance. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Used 14MBRinstallerMaker (2.5GB portion on an external USB drive) and rebooted. Installer started and after selecting language it beachballed for a while and then went blank and then said: "Error occured while loading the installer resources"

 

Solution??? Thanks in advance. 

1.the installer app md5 is not right. installer resources is damaged.

Check md5, or download the right full installer app again.

 

2.Didn't find the target partition with /macOS Install Data.

Use top bar [disk utility app] when you get the error, to make sure the installer can mount target partition right.

If the target partition is not mounted right, the installer can't find the /macOS Install Data to install macOS.

Fix it.........by read related topic.....

Edited by crazybirdy

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, crazybirdy said:

1.the installer app md5 is not right. installer resources is damaged.

Check md5, or download the right full installer app again.

 

2.Didn't find the target partition with /macOS Install Data.

Use top bar [disk utility app] when you get the error, to make sure the installer can mount target partition right.

If the target partition is not mounted right, the installer can't find the /macOS Install Data to install macOS.

Fix it.........by read related topic.....

Using the installer for 14.5.02. Think that 14MBRinstallerMaker already verified the md5, right? Also, this is only an upgrade from a functioning Sierra install and that is the target partition, so...why wouldn't the installer see the partition? (if that were happening, which would seem really weird) 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, IAMTHEONLYGOD said:

Using the installer for 14.5.02. Think that 14MBRinstallerMaker already verified the md5, right? Also, this is only an upgrade from a functioning Sierra install and that is the target partition, so...why wouldn't the installer see the partition? (if that were happening, which would seem really weird) 

14MBRinstallerMaker didn't verify md5.

You get error cause of it's hackintosh.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

×