Firstly, may I take the opportunity to wish everyone a very happy new year and thank you for reading this post.
Having always been pining after an iMac, I have decided that the only way of getting one would be to build a Hackintosh.
I'm relatively new to the forums and also new to the building of custom PCs for use with OS X (having spent many years building Windows PCs).
I have drawn up a list of components, but I have a few question over compatibility.
If you could be so kind as to tell me a) whether they will run OS X in the first place and answer my queries (see below)
And thanks in advance for any help, support and guidance.
-- Hardware 'Shopping' List --
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4-TH
Memory: 32GB, comprised of (4x Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual-Channel)
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570k 3.40GHz (Ivy) Quad-Core Socket LGA1155
Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GeForce GT 640 OC 2048MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 2TB 6Gb/s SATA Drive
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-207EBK Blu-ray Writer
First, a little about my usage/intentions. I am not an intense gamer, but I enjoy the occasional HD movie and partake in graphic design projects. Ideally, I would like to use a display that achieves the Apple 'Retina Display' standard, with a resolution of 2560x1440.
Which leads on to my questions:
1) Should I purchase an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27"), will it be compatible with the thunderbolt ports on the motherboard, including driver compatibility and the iSight functionality? Also, will it be able to produce retina-like graphics?
2) I am aware that OS X lacks the ability to play Blu-Ray, are there any workarounds for this? More importantly, will it be compatible as a standard CD/DVD RW?
3) Will the on-board Bluetooth adapter work? (WiFi is not a problem as I have gigabit Ethernet around the house)
Thanks once again for any help.
CallaghnMember Since 29 Nov 2009
Offline Last Active Jan 03 2013 03:09 PM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 3
- Profile Views 1,016
- Member Title InsanelyMac Protégé
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown
21 Jun 2013 - 04:00