Hi All, I need some help to make Mountain Lion 10.8.2 boot from RAID1
Up to now I have done this (from a ML installed on a separate SATA disc):
1) format HD, then create RAID1 disk
2) launch DD script, set RAID as target and launch retail DVD install (option 1)
3) install starts and I select RAID1 volume … wait until it is done (20 min)
4) install boot loader Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1278 (choose UseKernelCache Yes in options)
5) Problem: there is no Extra folder so DD script does not install kexts. Create one Manually on helper partitions
6) install kexts with DD script (selecting system as target)
Here I started troubleshooting since I cannot boot from this RAID1 disk.
Doing some search found these two threads interesting:
I have tried following the recommendations in these two GUIDES (the first references the second). I have gotten to the point were:
1) If I try to boot the RAID1 disk, I get a boot0 done, boot1 error
2) If I try to boot a standard Mountain Lion off of a simple (non RAID) disk, selecting the RAID1 disk from chameleon GUI allows me to boot the RAID1 installed Mountain Lion.
I think I am close to it, but still do not know how to do it.
please note that the RAID1 member partitions are on a GUID partition table (AFAIK I cannot make a RAID on MBR partition table on 10.8.2)
after some successfull installs I have decided it was time to stop lurking and start giving back.
I have successfully installed Mountain Lion (ML) in these Mobos:
1) SuperMicro X8DA3 - with Zotac GeForce 210 1GB
2) Asus P5Q SE2 - with PNY NVIDIA 9600 GT 512Mb
Both install are based on the excellent job by digital_dreamer.
Regarding the SuperMicro X8DA3, the following are my notes (troubleshooting):
-) I created the USB boot stick as per instructions on the GUIDE by digital_dreamer
-) I could not boot, so I tried setting USB stick as target (in DD script) and install default kexts to it, so I finally got USB stick booting and installing
-) after install was finished, I rerun the script (from a real Mac or Hackintosh) and installed bootloader and kexts into final install,
-) reboot and restart with newly installed ML
Regarding the Asus P5Q SE2, the steps are the same as for SuperMicro, with one additional issue: at one point I had a kernel panic on AppleTyMCEDriver.kext . I removed it from S/L/E and everything is fine now.
Both of the installs were after buying Mountain Lion from AppStore. I got an install that included 10.8.2, so some issues were not documented in install guides.
T1) I checked my install now and I do not see the evil* kexts now, but I remember I had the issue of PCI install begin. I bypassed it with the Evil* kexts (from 10.7 folder in DD script).
T2) At one point I had an issue with smBIOS ... I googled and it seemed to be due to 10.8.2. I had to remove this kext from FakeSMC.
T3) To boot the USB stick I used -x -f as parameter once bootloader started
I am now trying to install on a RAID 1 and having trouble, but I will create a new thread for that.
Thanks everybody for this great website, and special thanks to digital_dreamer.