Jump to content



Member Since 13 Aug 2006
Offline Last Active Jul 20 2014 12:52 AM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: 10.9 on the Surface Pro 3

17 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

Great work you're doing on the Surface Pro 3. I'm looking forward to some awesome OSX support and you're one of the people putting in the work to make that happen. Why is wifi support impossible on these units? See I'm perfectly ok if we don't get touch support....OSX really doesn't have any support for it anyway.

OS X does not have Kernel Extensions, KEXT, that support Marvell’s Avastar 88W8897 or really any Avastar at that. Until either Apple or someone else writes a KEXT that supports it we are out of luck. In most cases you would just swap out the WiFi module for something that is compatible, but seeing as this is a SoC that is soldered onto the board we will have to make use of external dongles for it to work. I'm currently using the Edimax EW-7811Un USB dongle. 

In Topic: 10.9 on the Surface Pro 3

16 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Can you try switching color profiles. On my laptop with an HD4600 this sort of resolves the graphic artifacts.

Right you are! I tried the built in "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and it eliminated nearly all of the graphical artifacts. The only ones I noticed on a reboot was on the desktop the two "hidden" files were garbled. I attribute this to the transparency they have. I'll test more shortly.


EDIT: Turns out it's not just the transparent files, I have two files and a folder on my desktop that become garbled when I reboot. I suspect it's just leftovers from the boot process before the device corrects the color profile. 

I've noticed with the type cover that the backlight turns off and then back on as if the device is trying to "initialize" it. I still don't know how to fix this, but it shouldn't be too hard. 

In Topic: 10.9 on the Surface Pro 3

13 July 2014 - 02:55 AM

I've had to stop work on trying to get OS X to run on my device recently. I've been having some issues with LCDs and I will be on my third Surface Pro 3 next week. However, I did figure a few things out:


  • Sound does work when you use VoodooHDA and remove the AppleHDA kext. This is no surprise since it worked on the Surface Pro 2, I just never got around to working with it.


  • The graphic artifacts go away when you boot into OS X with a resolution lower than native. I found the "1600x1066" resolution to be close enough to native.. I don't know what causes the artifacts just yet, but the fix currently is to set the resolution to lower than native, and reboot. Changing it back to native WILL cause the artifacts to show up again. Also, the brightness is fixed and can not be changed, yet.


  • I still have had NO success with the type cover or touch screen. No amount of KEXT I throw at it I can not make the type cover work. The touch screen, on the other hand, uses the N-Trig DuoSense (DS-4196) digitizer which is currently unsupported by Touch-Base (VID: 1B96 PID: 0001). I did not get the chance to check the other drivers listed on the Touch-Base site, but I figure it will be a no go since the one in the Surface Pro 3 is listed as unsupported.
  • Bluetooth is the only thing I did not attempt to fix. I'm certain the fix on JahStories' tutorial will work... but I'm uncertain.

That is it for now. Hopefully we can figure this stuff out.

In Topic: 10.9 on the Surface Pro 3

26 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Hey, do you have a short guide of what you've done so far?


So far all I have done is trying to get the OS to install. In doing so I followed the first set of tutorials on the Surface Pro 2 thread (under the header: "Surface Pro 2 Gen Steps"). The only modifications I needed to do was to utilize the config.plist that I have posted above in place of the one the tutorial tells us to use. This got me into the installer and into the OS. 


I haven't had time to toy with anything else but as I said there isn't much left to try and fix. We need to get the Type Cover to work and iron out the graphical artifacts the screen has when in the OS. I'm thinking that the artifacts can be taken care of if we can get the right DSDT, any DSDT Modifications, as well as an adjusted conflg.plist. The type cover currently isn't working in Linux either so I'm suspecting it's due to a unsupported USB chipset. Something I'm sure that can be fixed with the right KEXT. 

In Topic: 10.9 on the Surface Pro 3

22 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

you can try to use a genericxhci kext to make the keyboard work...


Sadly, the two versions of the KEXT didn't work. I'll give it another go shortly.

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy