for use with the Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (A1316 MC007LL/A) 2560 x 1440 which only has ONE cable with a mini DisplayPort plug, in now Mountain Lion and later Mavericks.
$250 for Apple's ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro MC742ZMA is too much for me.
Usage: heavy Adobe graphics/ video mix (Photoshop/ InDesign/ Illustrator/ Premiere/ Dreamweaver), all open at the same time .. Final Cut Pro will follow later.
Apart from that, here's what the card also needs to be able to deliver in 10.8.5 (and best 10.9):
- dual-monitor: connect a 2nd one via DVI or HDMI
- live resolution switching on both monitors w/o black or blue screens
- fully working wake from monitor sleep AND wake from MacOS sleep on BOTH monitors w/o black or blue screens
- ATY framebuffer negotiated correctly between the card and OS X
- cooling fan(s) not too loud if possible
Sharing of best your personal experience or otherwise links or pointers would be very welcomed