good news is chameleon auto generated p states and c states works
bad news is they dont work as well
only educated guessing here but my q6600 is overclocked to 3GHz which would be the logical answer however thinking deeper it makes no sense as this is the G0 stepping and i can run at 3GHz with less voltage specified manually in bios than if i left it as auto in bios.
The VID values i used in the DSDT orginally were made based upon the voltages i manually set in the bios. As these are lower than the default values one would expect temps to go slightly up using auto generated C states and P states in chameleon as this is basically extracting values from SSDT tables from bios and injecting them properly into the operating system. however what is occuring is random instability in the operating system using the new chameleon method so i have returned to just manually using the DSDT method as i have had the most stable system for nearly a year without incident and this was the only recent change i made.
i have just bought and started the long process of getting mac stable on a new laptop the lenovo Z560 great laptop very compatible except audio
however as this is a new i3 it has way more information in the SSDT tables and i have yet to take the plunge and editing the dsdt to include the c state and p state information and i am currently just using chameleon to do the hard work for me. now for whatever reason once i am booted into the os and at desktop its very stable havent had a single crash but when booting its a different story i recieve mabey 1 out of 3 times when booting a random kernel panic relating to many things . originally i thought i was due to voodoohda as it was always present in the kernel backtrace of dependencies however this is not the case as i have these kernel panics occuring on completely unrelated things. this leads me to believe that again its the chameleon p state and c states at fault. that last statement is a bit harsh i shall try and explain further the SSDT and DSDT state there are 8 CPUS in this machine and this is seen when booting in verbose mode however CPUs 4 to 7 are disabled this obviously occurs as this machine can be configured with a dual core i3 /i5 which would be 4 cores 2 physical and 2 logical hyperthreading and a core i7 4 physical 4 logical now this is why the SSDT tables contain the extra info for these core that dont exist this may be partly responsible for the instablilty of the chameleon method as its scraping this info from the SSDTs and injecting it accordingly. WHat i would like to know is there any way to use voodoopstate or any other tool that will work with the new core i3 processors as the way i got this information for my q6600 does not work for this core i3 350m ie the tools dont support the new architecture.
ps sorry for ther long winded rant
mastershredderMember Since 14 Feb 2008
Offline Last Active Dec 29 2012 09:51 AM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 28
- Profile Views 1,568
- Member Title InsanelyMac Protégé
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown