Installing Mac OS X Lion or Mountain Lion on VMWare Workstation v8 or v9 is not difficult with the help from VMWare Unlocker. The following are what I've done:
1. Download Apple Mac OS X Lion Retail as "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg" --> WHERE to find this (Just "Bing it on"/ Google it or find in your favorite ... forums)
2. Convert the installer into an ISO:
On Windows, use dmg2img (http ://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/) to convert:
- Because "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg" is actually an archive (in XAR format), use 7-Zip program (http ://7-zip.org/) to extract the actual setup dmg file which is located at "Install Mac OS X Lion.dmg/InstallMacOSX.pkg/InstallESD.dmg"
- With InstallESD.dmg, run in Windows Command Prompt the following command:
dmg2img -i "InstallESD.dmg" -o "Setup.iso"
to get the actual setup file in ISO format.
3. Install VMware Workstation 8 or 9 --> WHERE to find this (Just "Bing it on"/ Google it or find in your favorite ... forums)
4. Run VMWare Unlocker 1.1.0 (download from http ://goo.gl/oHx8k) (REMEMBER to close VMWare Workstation before):
Run "unlock-all-v110/windows/install.cmd" (see unlock-all-v110/readme.txt for more info and other options)
5. Create a new virtual machine for the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (64 bit) with CD/DVD Settings pointing to the Setup.iso
6. Install Mac OS X 10.7 Lion inside the virtual machine (REMEMBER to format the disk with Disk Utilities during the installation)
7. Install VMWare tools using darwin.iso that came with the unlocker (Mount the darwin.iso file for the virtual machine and then in the MacOSX, go to Desktop->Finder->Preferences, check CDs, DVDs, and iPods to see the iso content on the desktop; also check Hard disks, External disks, Connected servers in order to see shared folders, USB storage disks, ...); You may need to restart or logout/login.
8. That's all.
1) Lastest darwin.iso with VMWare Tools can be found at
- http ://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/: browse to get "com.vmware.fusion.tools.darwin.zip.tar", extract to get darwin.iso and then mount to install
2) https ://developer.apple.com/downloads/ is the place to download Xcode (latest version, previous versions) and others for developers. Just login with a free developer account.
3) These steps are also valid for Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.
Thank you for this awesome Manual!!
But I already have it installed, the only problem I have is that I can't use Final Cut Pro which was why I downloaded the VM.
Now that I know that it won't work I'm just testing and learn about the Mac OS because I've never used it before.