Leo4Allv3

eddie11c

440 posts in this topic

Well after alot of work it is almost ready. I figured I would post a new topic since the other is so long. Here are the notes that should cover most of the basics. At this point only things that are going to change at all are if issues arise from my testers(so far so good!)

So here we are with Leo4Allv3. You might wonder what's new and why bother downloading. I will try to list the main changes with this update and a comprehensive list of what options are available. I have someone working on an install guide also, so hopefully it will be ready for release.

Please visist http://osx86leo4all.wikidot.com for assistance or, if you like my work, to donate. You can also visit the IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu #Leo4All

First and most importantly is a totally rebuilt filesystem, to include all updates. The advantage with this is I no longer had to script a repair permissions from the DVD. This speeds install a good bit for most people. Don't worry if the timer says some outrageous time, as it does not calculate it correctly. The initial package install is very large and takes the most time, but once its done the install is almost done. I still recommend running repair permissions from Leopard once your all loaded up to fix some errors, but none of these will stop the system from booting. If you run it twice you should see zero errors on Intel and 2 SUID files on AMD. There is an install script that crashes on AMD machines causing this, but to keep everything perfect on intel I chose to leave the script intact.

This DVD now supports AHCI with more than 2 drives thanks to the updated kext's posted by Cyclonefr.

Also fixed this go around is X11 for both Intel and AMD. If, when you close it the first time, cpu usage jumps to 100% open terminal and type xeyes & to fix it. You will need to reboot after, but it should never glitch again.

PPC Emulation on AMD's should now be fixed also!

Due to some complaints I removed my old logo and replaced it with my favorite desktop background, hope you like it.

There is no longer a ./RemoveVideo script, it has been updated and is now called

./options.

If you boot with -s at the Darwin prompt and mount your drive with

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

./options

you will see options to remove video drivers, account loop fix, and extensions repair. These are the most common issues so I have just automated them.

Currently there are no known issues to address, so hopefully it should be ready real soon.

From inside the installer you will notice alot of new options, I will cover the main ones of interest:

ACPIPlatform:

You now have a choice between ACPIPlatforms, version 1.1.0 is the default install but if you have an older system you can choose 1.0.3 from Tiger. Alternately you can choose the stock version 1.2.1. Included inside version 1.1.0 and 1.2.1 is ACPIPS2Nub(proper version) for your PS2 support. There should be no more PS2 issues! !

AppleSMBIOS:

I put in lots of choices for different versions based on bus speed if you want it to show your proper memory speed, or if you want your hack to look like a real mac. The default install is Netkas improved version 27.

Options are:

DDR667

DDR800

DDR1066

DDR1333

iMac

MacBook

MacPro

Kernel:

I have added Netkas 9.2.0 sleep kernel, and 9.2.2 binpatched kernel(Be warned this does not work on all AMD machines! My SSE3 AMD does not work with it). The default install is still Netkas 9.2.0 speedstep kernel. There are also the Stock kernels(vanilla) 9.2.0/9.2.2

RemoveFireWire:

For those that have issues with FireWire, or those that just want to speed their boot time a little. This moves all of the IOFireWire kext's to /FireWire folder in the root of your install drive.

About This Mac:

This is my own little installer to customize "About this Mac" with your processor info. No it does not fix memory speed, you have to do that with AppleSMBIOS. It should work for all languages and should report overclocked CPU's properly.

Power Management:

By popular demand I added the laptop power management bundle to the install. You will still need to set it up in system preferences. This is known to have a few minor bugs. It may not report the proper time remaining or any time remaining for that matter, so use at your own risk.

AMD System Fix:

You will notice it is checked and greyed out by default. To take out alot of user error (people forgetting to check it for their AMD systems) I have added a script to detect the CPU and patch accordingly. When its running it will echo your processor information in the install log (if you show all). It will then skip the patch process if your on Intel or patch if its an AMD. I hope it works well for everyone!

Bootloader:

This option is checked and greyed out by default. It is Dense's script to install EFI and make the partition active. If you already have an existing bootloader (like from Vista) on the same logical drive it will not overwrite it. It will however flag the partition you installed to active, so you will have to manually set your Windows partition active again if needed.

Chipset Drivers:

(NOTE- JMicron is the only driver that always installs so please choose at least 1 option, some will have to choose 2 [if you have Marvell IDE and Intel SATA for example] ) There are only 6 choices here.

Nforce chipsets- If you have a SATA DVD choose the NforceTest. If you have Nforce without I recommend choosing the older version labeled Nforce 2/3/4/5. If you have more than 4Gigs of RAM be prepared to crash during install. Please remove 2Gigs of RAM and try again.

SiliconImage - I have not found anyone to confirm if this works or not, it should if anyone out there actually uses it.

VIA, SiS, Marvell and SB - Please install this if you are using any of these chipsets. If you have a Marvell IDE drive please install this as they should be supported. I have added many ID's here so I hope they all work! This chioce installs AppleVIAATA and AppleOnboardPCATA.

SAS - By request I added support for this, as of my writing this its untested. Hopefully it works.

Intel ICHx- If you have ICH7/8/9 chipsets you should install this. This is the modified version by -Dune- to support more than 2 drives and fix the over 2Gigs of RAM panics.

Audio:

These choices have not changed much, only added support for STAC9271 by request. If your not sure what chipset you have, please choose AzaliaAudio or AC97Audio.

Chioces are:

ALC850/882/883/888/889

AC97Audio

ADI1988

STAC9271

AzaliaAudio

Graphics Drivers:

I have updated many of these packages.

ATI- there are options for:

2600XT(PCIE)

2600XT(AGP)

3870X2

2600PRO(PCIE)

2600PRO(AGP)

X1600(PCIE)

X1600(AGP)

X19X0

X1400 Mobility

Nvidia- I have updated the drivers to the latest available from the Mac Pro's and editied to include all Device ID's I could verify. This should cover mostly all 6XXX/7XXX/8XXX series cards.

NVinject- By request I have added options for different version of Nvinject(0.1.3/0.2.0/0.2.1). If your not sure choose version 0.2.1 with the proper amount of RAM for your video card.

GMA950 - QE/CI+resolution change with some artifacts

GMA3100 - suppose to give QE/CI(Unconfirmed)

Network Drivers:

ForceDeth- This is compatible with most Nforce LAN.

ForceDeth-V - This is compatible with most Nforce LAN(recommended version)

Skge - Driver for most Marvell LAN cards.

RTL8187- Just as it says for Realtek 8187

Zydas USB- For the USB Wireless LAN adapter

Tiger IO80211- Some Atheros cards require this Tiger version to work. Default install is IO80211 from 10.5.2

Broadcom- WLAN driver for BCM4306/4309/4318/4320/4324

RT2500- Suppose to support Dlink WMP54G v4.0, may support some others.

ViaRhine- Just as it says, for ViaRhine chipsets

Intel 100Pro VE- Just as it says, for the Intel 100Pro VE chipset

RT2860- Driver for some chipsets like WL-181, may also work on some others.

Good Applications:

You can choose to install or not, but I do recommend many of these useful programs. They include:

Adium

AppZapper

BBEdit

CandyBar

Colloquy

FireFox

Gumby 50c

Invisibles

KCNScrew

KextHelper

Marvin's AMD Utility

MD5

Pacifist

PackageMaker version 2.1(old harder to find)

Stuffit Expander

Textmate

Transmission

TubeSock

Unison

VLC

Xbench

Feel free to leave comments here or on the Wiki

Edit- forgot to add PPC emulation was fixed for AMD's

Hey Eddie!

First of all, congratz on the fabulous work w/ leo4all!

This release is the only one that works perfectly on my AMD machine! The sound kext AC97 only works w your release and I don't know why!

But, anyways....I'm anxiously waiting for leo4allv3 and check it out!

BTW, on my PC, the v2 had some glitches, iCal, VLC, Front Row and some other appz were not working. Will they work now?

Congratz again on the awesome work.

Eddie11c, you forgot to mention the default SMBIOS option for those that have motherboards using a DDR400 memory configuration. ;)

Thank you for continuing to release superior releases. I also noticed the 0.2.0 option. Great work once again, I will have to update the Wiki *(Of course), when the official release appears for everyone.

Thank you! I found that this release worked much better than others on my AMD rig. I have an MSI-K8TNeo2-v2.

The only thing I noticed is that with none of the currently available releases (including Leo4Allv2) am I able to use my ethernet card (onboard Realtek 8110SC), although some users with other boards but same NIC model have reported "out-of-the-box" successes in out wiki. There was also no check box option fir this card model and no kext to be found in the net either (except the original Apple files, that is).

I'd appreciate it if anybody had an idea of what could be the problem.

Thanks again and keep up the great work! ;)

hecker!

Thanks for the great effort, Eddie. If you have time (or respin the release), please try to include Intel Wireless drivers (220BG, for example) for a lot of people who have an old notebooks lying around.

Hong.

As I said, all known issues have been fixed, I still make no guarantees that any given driver will work with your own hardware. I have tested as much as I can, and have others diligently testing as much as they can. The P4 insta reboot on older CPU's is still present sorry, I have mode no progress on this. It seems to be Kernel related, which is out of my hands.

From what I have seen, there has been little to no problems what so ever. What I have done to some Nforce users. I will add a patch when its released so you can patch to the old Nforce Driver if your not using a SATA DVD drive to read from. That option is there during install, but the patch swaps out the Extensions folder and Extensions.mkext files. I did this just for simplicity. No messing with moving stuff around in the ISO, you just patch it or don't.

Do you think any of the changes made would help my computer make it to the installer screen? The previous versions have not made it that far. It stops at either the "mounting harddrives" code line or the blue screen with a mouse pointer right before the installer gui loads.

Do you think any of the changes made would help my computer make it to the installer screen? The previous versions have not made it that far. It stops at either the "mounting harddrives" code line or the blue screen with a mouse pointer right before the installer gui loads.

I am still a bit baffled over what causes your problems, hopefully you can give it a try. But I have not found anything specific that would fix this issue for you(Since I don't know whats causing it in the first place).

I am still a bit baffled over what causes your problems, hopefully you can give it a try. But I have not found anything specific that would fix this issue for you(Since I don't know whats causing it in the first place).

If I made a video of the screen during boot up could that help you at all in what is going on?