RAID10 on GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 1.0) - Possible?

dionisos

8 posts in this topic

Hi everybody.

I'm pretty noob the this "project", but I can't help it, IT'S GOOD.

Got my Pc hackintoshed for the first time this week.

MOBO Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R rev 1.0

North Bridge Intel Bearlake P35

South Bridge Intel 82801IR ICH9R

GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller

Processor QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)

Graphics BFG GeForce 7950 GT (changed to 6600gt rosewill, cant figure out how to make 7950 work...)

Audio Realtek ALC885/889A

DIMM1 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM

DIMM2 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM

DIMM3 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM

DIMM4 Kingston KTC1G-UDIMM

Blackmagic DeckLink Extreme

I'm running the Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla922 and stuffs...

all seems to work well. (except restart and shutdown that only works with sleepkernel)

BUT...

i'v got a raid10 (0+1) configured by bios on the intel controler.

Is there anyway to make it work on my "mac"?

if somebody could point me in the correct direction, i could (really) sleep better in the next days

:P

cheers and best regards.

JB

a little more information:

I'v got those discs:

4x 500 maxtor (on the ICH9R, configurated as RAID10 on INTEL BIOS, running NTFS)

1x 120 seagate (on the INTEL controler, without raid, kalyway boot - HFS+)

1x 250 maxtor (on the GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller NTFS)

1x 80 hitachi (on the GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller NTFS, Vista Boot)

the raid disks are visible but not mouted or acessible...

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I'm researching which mother board to buy for my build....

Looks like the only board that supports onboard Raid is Asus P5W DH-DeLuxe. It's an older board and can be hard to find. If I was basing my build solely on having onboard Raid than I would buy this board.

But another solution is to buy a rocketraid 2302 pci-e x1 card for about $120.US...has two external and two internal sata outputs.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103353

I'll probably go this route, buying a Raid card, as it won't limit me on the board I want.

Hey guys, honestly, use the search function...Members of this forum aren't bots ready to serve you the stuff you need... especially if that stuff has already been discussed 100 times.Search for RAID and get yourself the answers you need.BTW, if your HDD aren't all the same, you won't be able to make a proper RAID, just a bunch of disks (JBOD).

Right now I'm researching which mother board to buy for my build....Looks like the only board that supports onboard Raid is Asus P5W DH-DeLuxe. It's an older board and can be hard to find. If I was basing my build solely on having onboard Raid than I would buy this board.But another solution is to buy a rocketraid 2302 pci-e x1 card for about $120.US...has two external and two internal sata outputs.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103353I'll probably go this route, buying a Raid card, as it won't limit me on the board I want.
I had the P5W-DH, great board, 100% compatible, and the RAID works great.But as far as I know, you can't get more than 900 Gb on raid, or something like that.The RAID speed bump is great.Remember that the P5W-DH doesn't have a very high FSB max... like 400 max.

I had the P5W-DH, great board, 100% compatible, and the RAID works great.But as far as I know, you can't get more than 900 Gb on raid, or something like that.The RAID speed bump is great.Remember that the P5W-DH doesn't have a very high FSB max... like 400 max.

Thanks hackintom for the heads up on the Asus P5W-DH's limited FSB speed. FSB is: http://www.gen-x-pc.com/fsb_info.htm

Anyway I've been researching like crazy for my ultimate Photoshop/Lightroom "budget" build and I always come back to GIGABYTE's GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard with 8 onboard SATA 3Gb/s, FSB at 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 and 2 rear Firewire ports. Plus the board is heavily OSx86 supported.

Processor wise will be going with either Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q6700. Seems like the Q6700 can be overclocked better than the Q6600. But might just save a few bucks and go with the Q6600 :) and not worry too much about going overclock crazy.

You can only use RAID-0 on non-system disks with most mainboards. You have to use software RAID after the install, and it can't be a drive that OS X is installed on. Since OS X won't recognize the intel or jmicron raid arrays during install, you need to buy a PCI or PCIe card like Rocket RAID for $70-100.