Working Netgear WPN311 but broken usb thumb drive

MrSco

2 posts in this topic

Since this thread helped me a lot, I thought I would put my experience getting my Netgear WPN311 PCI wireless card working in Leopard 10.5.1...

All my edits were done to copys of the files on my desktop and then copied to their correct folders (which would prompt me for the admin password)...

I tried just editing the Leopard 10.5.1 IO80211Family.kext (version 2.0) and removing all device ids in the <array/> node out of the AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist except <string>pci168c,13</string>

That gave me wireless after the first reboot, but after subsequent reboots everytime I would connect the whole os would freeze and I'd have to shutdown hard (hold pwr btn). Also, the "Turn Airport On" button seemed like it didn't do anything, but if I changed something on the page (like the checkbox) and then clicked Apply, the Airport would then turn on... strange.

Then I decided to try the IO80211Family.kext (version 1.4) from the 10.4.8 update pkg... This time I just added my device id to the <array/> node in AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist. After a reboot, osx complained that it couldn't use that kext. Then I noticed that there was a Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext in the 10.4.8 update pkg that wasn't in 10.5.1, so I copied it to my Extensions folder and rebooted. It worked after that...

If the Airport doesn't show up make sure you open Network Preferences and either click the plus to add the Airport or minus to remove the one that is there and re-add it. should work after that.

There is one strange thing I have left however, My USB flash thumb drive won't show up on the desktop! If I go to system info, its listed there dynamically as I remove and plug in, but it won't mount the the desktop. Strange thing is that it works in windows and has worked in Leopard fine many times... even stranger is that after I copied the 10.4.8 kext into my extensions folder to try to get wireless working that way, my thumb drive magically appeared on my desktop (it was already plugged in). But now that my wireless is working, my usb thumb drive isn't anymore (but it knows its there...kinda). ANY IDEAS ON THIS?! If I get this working then I'll have 100% working system.

Thanks