• Gentoo
    • Arch
    • Fedora
    • Sabayon
    • Debian
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Linux Mint
    • Ubuntu
    • Hate Linux, BSD and OS X r way better!

41 posts in this topic

I am an openSUSE user and I really think its the best Linux distribution out there. Its the most polished no doubt meaning it has GUI tools for everything and looks more professional than other distributions. Also its one of the few distros that give a really good experience with both KDE and Gnome. I also like the fact a simple update doesn't break my entire system like on Ubuntu.

What do u think? :)

I know many people complain about package management but I just read in openSUSE's weekly news letter that openSUSE 11.0 will have 743% faster package management. :D

I am an openSUSE user and I really think its the best Linux distribution out there. Its the most polished no doubt meaning it has GUI tools for everything and looks more professional than other distributions. Also its one of the few distros that give a really good experience with both KDE and Gnome. I also like the fact a simple update doesn't break my entire system like on Ubuntu.

What do u think? :P

I know many people complain about package management but I just read in openSUSE's weekly news letter that openSUSE 11.0 will have 743% faster package management. :(

Of course I agree :P As to the package manager there is already Smart which is quite fast.

openSUSE 10.3 for speed, looks and windows-like-ness

fedora 8 for the community support/ridiculously inclusive package upgrading setup. fedora's ability to "resolve dependencies" without my input is awesome. there's also a bit more open source support for media formats

OpenSUSE's 11 package manager will be 743% faster.

http://news.opensuse.org/2008/04/18/announ...use-110-beta-1/

Honestly Ubuntu is the worse Linux distro I have ever used in terms of polish and stability. Every once in a while an update will break something.

Eventually I have found somebody who feels exactly like me :P

Ubuntu didn't work for me on my 680i box. Took hours to install, and when I tried to change anything in the nuts and bolts of it, it would break my install. I haven't had any such problems with openSUSE, Fedora 8 or centOS. They all installed in about 15 minutes and I was able to tweak about everything how I wanted in a single night, with no broken installs

I think the devs r doing an awesome job with SUSE 11, and when that package management will speed up, SUSE will rule the world. :hysterical:

Its already the best in terms of polish the only comparable distro in my opinion in terms of polish is Mandriva, they r the only real threat. ;-)

SUSE will rule the world. :P

:whistle:

Its already the best in terms of polish the only comparable distro in my opinion in terms of polish is Mandriva, they r the only real threat. ;-)

The reason why I don't believe that is going to happen is that the equivalent of openSUSE DVD is Mandriva Powerpack, which costs $59 (download edition).

Fedora is awesome too, don't get me wrong but currently OpenSUSE 11 with KDE4 looks AWESOME!!. Except that I have had LOADS of crashes mainly because it is a beta. But I can't wait for the final :(

I thought Mandriva one was the competitor to the suse dvd. But u have to admit that Mandriva is nice though. ;)

Yes, not bad, but in order to pay $59 you must be a great fan of it (which I am not, Mandriva takes only the 3rd place in my preferences, after openSUSE and Debian)

I would have called Fedora a threat as well, but they still feel like a testing ground for Redhat, am I right?

Honestly, I don't understand why so many people like Fedora. It is not a desktop oriented, user friendly distribution. After you install it you must do a lot of work in order to make it a proper desktop. Then I'd rather use Slackware, so you get the "full monty" :P

Yeah, fedora isn't for desktops. Still just a testing ground for Redhat.

I have heard Mandriva takes like some yearly payments for their power pack or something though I am not sure about that. Even though their system is polished they have this weird habit of releasing one buggy version and then releasing a rock solid version the next year. :P

Downloading the openSUSE 11 Beta 1 right now :D Will let everyone know how it goes. Anyone tried it yet?

Ubuntu, simply because its made for human beings.

It was a joke. That was (maybe still is) Ubuntu's slogan (Linux for human beings):

ubuntu_510_cover.jpg

While the other distributions are made for animals :D

I have heard Mandriva takes like some yearly payments for their power pack or something though I am not sure about that.

You need a silver membership for that, quite expensive.