<~--OSX Flags List for Darwin Bootloader & kernel level--~>

00diabolic

61 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
EXCELLENT, I'm going to print this and stash it in my desk drawer. MODS, please sticky this!!! :)

Glad they helped.

I added a lot more flags to the list. I have no idea how many of them work in OSX but hopefully they help some AMD users and others that have CPU issues. I really need some feedback on them to improve the info.

If you spent half as much time correcting & improving this topic as you do in hassling for it to be stickied, it might be worth stickying.

btw:

afaik:

Platform= this parameter sets the platform to use at this boot time.

Examples of this flag are:

platform=ACPI (ACPI support)

platform=X86PC (non ACPI support)

only existed in the DTK versions of 10.4.1 -> 10.4.3

and this:

platform=ACPI|86PC (try to support ACPI if fails do not support it)

um.. looks like someone saw a description of the flag with options separated by | & took a wild guess?

If you spent half as much time correcting & improving this topic as you do in hassling for it to be stickied, it might be worth stickying.

Ahhh well I need feedback on those new flags. I dont have an AMD system to even try the AMD ones on. Plus How can you confirm they only work in tiger like you say? I know some of the flags kernel specific but I have never seen evidence that they are version specific. If I get the feedback or find more info I'll go through and separate at that level also.

& Actually your wrong about:

Platform= this parameter sets the platform to use at this boot time.

Examples of this flag are:

platform=ACPI (ACPI support)

platform=X86PC (non ACPI support)

only existed in the DTK versions of 10.4.1 -> 10.4.3 IS INCORRECT. I have used and so have others used the x86pc flag with leopard.

These are all options which exists in the kernel source and I also included from boot source. Any other flags will not be used by the vanilla kernel.

Kernel:

dtrace_dof_mode

DisableFBT

IgnoreFBTBlacklist

-s

-b

-x

-l

srv

ncl

nbuf

kmem

trace

msgbuf

rp

mcache_flags

mbuf_debug

initmcl

socket_debug

net_affinity

rte_debug

-rwroot_hack

keepsyms

mseg

dart

io

debug

nvram_paniclog

pmsafe_debug

preempt

unsafe

poll

yield

idlehalt

panic_io_port

_fpu

diag

serial

maxmem

himemory_mode

immediate_NMI

-legacy

lcks

novmx

max_valid_dma_addr

maxbouncepool

maxloreserve

mtxspin

npvhash

wpkernel

-no_shared_cr3

-pmap_trace

_panicd_ip

_router_ip

panicd_port

-zc

cpus

vmmforce

zsize

colors

fill

serialbaud

net_affinity

rte_debug

Darwin booter:

"Graphics Mode"

"Text Mode"

"Boot Graphics"

"Quiet Boot"

"Kernel Flags"

"MKext Cache"

"Kernel"

"Kernel Cache"

"Boot Device"

"Timeout"

"rd"

"boot-uuid"

"platform"

"acpi"

"CD-ROM Prompt"

"CD-ROM Option Key"

"-v"

"-x"

"-f"

"-F"

"-s"

?video

?memory

These are all options which exists in the kernel source and I also included from boot source. Any other flags will not be used by the vanilla kernel.

Kernel:

dtrace_dof_mode

DisableFBT

IgnoreFBTBlacklist

-s

-b

-x

-l

srv

ncl

nbuf

kmem

trace

msgbuf

rp

mcache_flags

mbuf_debug

initmcl

socket_debug

net_affinity

rte_debug

-rwroot_hack

keepsyms

mseg

dart

io

debug

nvram_paniclog

pmsafe_debug

preempt

unsafe

poll

yield

idlehalt

panic_io_port

_fpu

diag

serial

maxmem

himemory_mode

immediate_NMI

-legacy

lcks

novmx

max_valid_dma_addr

maxbouncepool

maxloreserve

mtxspin

npvhash

wpkernel

-no_shared_cr3

-pmap_trace

_panicd_ip

_router_ip

panicd_port

-zc

cpus

vmmforce

zsize

colors

fill

serialbaud

net_affinity

rte_debug

Darwin booter:

"Graphics Mode"

"Text Mode"

"Boot Graphics"

"Quiet Boot"

"Kernel Flags"

"MKext Cache"

"Kernel"

"Kernel Cache"

"Boot Device"

"Timeout"

"rd"

"boot-uuid"

"platform"

"acpi"

"CD-ROM Prompt"

"CD-ROM Option Key"

"-v"

"-x"

"-f"

"-F"

"-s"

?video

?memory

Superhai WoW Thanks for the info, but any clue what some of these do? I tried googling the ones not included in my original list but didn't get much. I will have to over hall my list with this information but I do not want to add flags that I have no idea what they do.

These are just a few of the ones I have no info on:

dtrace_dof_mode

DisableFBT

IgnoreFBTBlacklist

-b

Can you tell me where you got this list and if there are descriptions available anywhere?

Guest BuildSmart
I doubt platform option has much affect, if any.

If you look at netkas' PC_EFI boot arguments, it is actually misspelled..

kern.bootargs: boot-uuid=<...> rd=*uuid platfomr=ACPI

now that's funny....

I doubt platform option has much affect, if any.

If you look at netkas' PC_EFI boot arguments, it is actually misspelled..

kern.bootargs: boot-uuid=<...> rd=*uuid platfomr=ACPI

It does have an affect for me it breaks things. I lose sound and shutdown using it. However other users (AMD) got there fans to work using it. There is no question it is a worth while flag for some users.

Thats why there needs to be more research on what all of these flags do (minus the obvious ones). I have done a lot of searching and cant find that data on all of them though, just bits and pieces. If its out there its not easy to find. I need the community to help me here. I will over hall the list again when Superhai gets back to me with the flag data he finds. Even having users who test random flags would help.

Thats why there needs to be more research on what all of these flags do (minus the obvious ones). I have done a lot of searching and cant find that data on all of them though, just bits and pieces. If its out there its not easy to find. I need the community to help me here. I will over hall the list again when Superhai gets back to me with the flag data he finds. Even having users who test random flags would help.

Let me get this straight, you've started this list, harassed people all over the place to get it stickied, touted it as "the only complete list anywhere" and now that you realise that it may involve something more than just pasting together hearsay you want *others* to do all the research for you?

Just what resources do you think the other members here have that you don't?

Let me get this straight, you've started this list, harassed people all over the place to get it stickied, touted it as "the only complete list anywhere" and now that you realise that it may involve something more than just pasting together hearsay you want *others* to do all the research for you?

Just what resources do you think the other members here have that you don't?

Man Hager, you were helpful once and now your just being :construction: mean. I CHALLENGE you to find a better list. I have tried you :censored2: :censored2: :censored2: :censored2:. Yes you can find other lists but THEY dont have as many flags as mine or as much info. So this is the biggest list of complete and incomplete kernel flags ANYWHERE & it should be sticky but you saw to that NOT happening. Thanks Pal! If in fact you can find a more complete list I will bow to your knowledge. Until then either help or GO AWAY! :P

Now I know & YOU know there are people that are part of this community that have knowledge about these flags. Superhai has proven that fact. I just need those folks to step up and help me fill in the blanks. Then the list can be completed and a lot more people will find it helpful.

Edit: I Overhauled the list. What does everyone think? There is still lots of information I need about a lot of the flags the Superhai gave me. Please feel free to post any information you may have.

THANKS ALL

Great job 00Diabolic!

Very useful list.

Despite what some may think, I too have found this list useful.

Thanks 00diabolic!

Your welcome guys. I'm glad its helpful.

Have either of you tested out some of those unknown flags?

Do either of you have any feedback about them?

• 1 month later...
the uuid setting may be related to de boot device, as rd, but by uuid...

see Universally Unique Identifier - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

Hey thanks. I added the info. At least we know something about that flag now.

If you have any other updates or know about any other of the mystery flags please feel free to share the info. I wanna build the best list available

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add my very small addition to this awesome and usefull list

-64_bit : kernel flag to force 64 bit execution on intel and modbin kernel 9.3.0 ( find it in Kalyway combo update 10.5.3)

Thanks I'll add that to the list. I cant believe there are more flags out there amazing. Just when you think you got them all.

Now if someone could help figure out what some of the unknown flags do that would make the list even better.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Don't worry about it. Just keep improving it and if they find it to be good they will sticky it.

I've been away a while and now I'm getting ready to move. No one seems to have any extra info on this anymore. I have added everything I can think of to it from all the research I have done.

Maybe this topic should just wither and die... :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
-F = Not sure could be the same as lower case -f flag.

-F forces OSX to ignore com.apple.boot.plist so any options you have set in the file will be ignored.

-f = Tells the machine to reload all kext and dump the boot configuration cache, (kext cache found in: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext, you can delete it manually and the system will recreate it).

I believe there are only two ways to force OSX to rebuild the Extensions.mkext cache file:

1. Manually deleting the file

sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

2. Using the touch command on the extensions folder.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

I still prefer to manually remove the cache file.

• 5 months later...
Just to add my very small addition to this awesome and usefull list

-64_bit : kernel flag to force 64 bit execution on intel and modbin kernel 9.3.0 ( find it in Kalyway combo update 10.5.3)

I am not sure if that is correct for 10.6.

I believe the 32-bit and 64-bit boot flags for 10.6 are -x32 and -x64 respectively.