SOLVED! The whose suffering from lack of nForce 560 / mpc67 support thread.

162 posts in this topic

Hey green... thanks for the screenshot buddy.. appreciate it!

Btw, can you please let us know if :

1. Will there be a ppf to convert leo4allv3 to leo4allv4?

2. Can you write into your sata drives?

3. Is the installed capable of installing leo into the internal sata hdd?

ps. :whistle:) Nice MacBook parody.. lol!!! well done mate!

Oh wow I hadn't spotted that, but I've looked through his posts before! Hmm.

Ok well, heres a ray of hope for you.

[pict]

I'm testing eddies11c's current Leo4Allv4 version.

show, but Ive done it too. In fact, Ive bought an usb external hd just to setup leopard, and with leo4allv3 its ok ;)

The big dream here is to run that from internal sata...

let keep hoping!

[]'s

Hey green... thanks for the screenshot buddy.. appreciate it!

Btw, can you please let us know if :

1. Will there be a ppf to convert leo4allv3 to leo4allv4?

2. Can you write into your sata drives?

3. Is the installed capable of installing leo into the internal sata hdd?

ps. :P ) Nice MacBook parody.. lol!!! well done mate!

1) I don't know that will be up to eddie but I doubt it.

2) No I cannot

3) No you can't..

I just tried ghosting it across to the internal and booting but I got waiting for root device and then when I booted up into the installation CD I just got an error. I can't try writing to the mounted drives in Mac because they are NTFS anyway! Humm stuck again :P

ObsidianX never replied to my PMs I sent a few months ago so we will never know how he got it working annoyingly! If you guys PM him as well that might help?

Ok so I decided to write up everything related to ObsidianX's post for anyone that isn't following or for reference.

Holy {censored}e i got my MCP67 to work \o/ thanks to MoiX's discovery with the same SATA device using ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext!!! :(:blink::D
ObsidianX uses the MCP67 chipset with a SATA 160GB drive, due to the lack of LBA he can only get 128GB (but who cares really! At least he doesn't have to lug around an external if he wants to take Mac OS X somewhere!He hasn't ever said how he got the chipset working which is really annoying but this is what I've found. He refers to Moix's discovery which I assume relates to this post:
Just to let any NF630a chipset users out there know that I (a relative noob at this sort of thing) have finally managed to get an iso of "10.4.10 Update + netkas sse3/kernel" (think its tubgirls latest release?) running natively with my main SATA drive (with Vista on Part 1 and MacOSX on 30GB part 2) on my NF630a mobo (abit AN-M2 HD) using the following steps1) Setup new MacOSX in VMWare (WinNT, Wkstn v6.0 VM, 512MB etc..) but pointing to my already prepared & formated HFS Partition #2 on my main SATA drive.2) The install of MacOSX using Demontools to mount the ISO went fairly smoothly within VMware and even the Networking worked on first boot using bridged mode.3) Next i modified Bikedudes AppleNForceATA.kext to include my SATA controllers IDs (0x055010de & 0x056010de), copied it over to OSX [as my VMware could see my Vista C Drive), ran all the sudo chmod -r 755 etc..., cleared the kextcache etc.. and closed down the VMware session.4) Used BCDEdit in Vista to create a x86 Generic OSX boot entry, rebooted and...5) :rolleyes: got some sort of error about drive timeouts or something together with the sata driver "attempts at loading" being in yellow text which i guess as I've never seen yellow text in verbose mode isn't good :P 6) came back here and grabbed hold of ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext.zip, modded device id's to suit, copied it across to extension but firstly I completely removed both the old AppleVIAATA.kext and AppleNForceATA.kext to be sure of no clashes.7) Close down OSX in vmware again, rebooted and it was ALMOST into the GUI but got a Black Screen & frozen system.8) Luckily I know how to fix this one as its to do with my GS7600 (512MB) Gfx card, simply boot to single user mode using -v -s then /sbin/mount -uw /, then cd /system/library/extensions and rm -rf nvdaresman.kext and BINGO it booted fully next time around^^ hope this helps someone with one of the newer 4xx or 6xx NF chipsetsOnly problem now is getting my Network Card working as I'd rather not put a 3com 90x (which i have) into my SFF PC & the sound :wacko: USB & FW seems to work ok though
The method is posted above and it relates to the ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext which I haven't found yet, but I assume it is posted on the forum. This appears to be the only known method for getting Leopard running Read/Write on the MPC67 chipset.I will try and find ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kext which should definetly help progress. I am not a coder unfortunately and only have a rough idea of what I am doing but if anyone has a better understanding of this than me then please intervene and point me on the right track (:Sam out!

More reference to Moix's discovery

From what I can tell the SATA to PATA converter was never going to work as your problem must lie with the lack of driver support for the SATA controller which irrespective as to whether you have a PATA (on a convertor) or SATA HD attached it, is still SATA.There are a few work in progress projects on the go atm to improve SATA support particullarly for nforce users but as you don't mention which chipset your motherboard uses (& thus its SATA controller) your likihood of getting a answer (good or bad) won't really improve till you mention the chipset?fyi, last night for the first time I managed to get OSX up & running on my nforce 630a chipset (MCP68) with SATA drive but I had to modify someones (i forget the developer..sorry) AppleVIAATA.kext* plist entries with my own SATA device IDs, install it first with VMWare onto a HD partition then configure dual boot. Its still not perfect as I still need to get at least my network card working, consider flashing my 512MB gfx card (to get other resolutions) then hold out hope that someone will one day develop an audio driver for me to try tongue.gif* I know with VIA in the driver title you wouldn't think at first glance that driver was ever going to work on an nforce mobo but I spotted other replies with nforce4 & iirc 430 chipsets that had some sucess with it so i thought might as well give it a go on mine and it did

EDIT: Ok I found the kext ghakazian's kext file! It is located and referenced to in this post but I shall also host it here!

AppleVIAATA.kext.zip

Ok well, after eddie11c's hard work the kexts would not play nicely with the chipset. So while all you guys have decided to ignore the previous post today, I got to grips with the info posted above and have managed to solve the problem!

I followed the methods listed above and made the kext mount all of my partitions and it read/writes!!!!

Before I upload the Kext for you guys I have some more testing to do, but I'm in contact with eddie11c and he's embedding it into a PPF iso patcher for me and then I will do the ultimate test. Installing directly to the internal!

Man!

WoW!

Awesome...!

GreenTurtle... you are true to your name... slow but steady!

You've surely won the race :P

Btw, is that ppf going to be on leo4allv3 or v4?

Ps. if possible please ask for a ppf on leo4all v3... (i just wanna get leo working on my hackbook asap!!! :) )

so greenturttle,ive donloaded the kext, and have the leo4allv3. So to get it installed on a SATA, via vmware, do i need to insert this kext into installation dvd or theres any way to do it at install time??? how can I use this kext to get leopard on vmware using sata hdd patition???do i need to edit this AppleVIAATA.kext???thanks in advanced!and of course, you and eddie, my heroes, thanks for all!

is there anyone can help me to get my sata drive read??i've got the ghakazian's AppleVIAATA.kextand i dunno how to inject the file to my leopard 10.5.2 isoi'm using transmac on windows but didnt successplease give me a simple tutorial....
im on the same with you! crossfingers!!!

Hi

GreenTurtle your the man ! :))) i read that post about 5 months back my self but like you couldnt get ahold of him :(

So this is really working now for us???? what our the speeds like they seem ok???

when do you think you will upload the kext? i need to download leo4allv3 i only have zeph can i add the kext to that version in the mean time?? please upload..

so i take it you actully installed leopard to a nforce 560 sata drive tested ?? so excited :)

No I've not yet tested installing it the internal but I'm faily confident it will work. All my tests were installing the kext whilst I was booted into Mac on my external, the kext in turn mounted all my drives and I had read/write ability.

Neither Moix or ObsidianX replied to my PMs but it was quite a simple process. I am doubtful eddie11c will release a PPF for version for Leo4Allv3. I imagine it will be in the release of Leo4Allv4 but he is making a PPF for me to apply to my test copy of Leo4All4 so he doesn't have to make another release. Although the PPF may work on Leo4Allv3 as well, I'll have to ask, but I don't know if he will be happy with me sending it out.

As for the speeds. I did a test yesterday with xbench and they aren't that promising. I recall speeds of around 7/mbs I think but I've had worse on other machines. We'l or (I'l) take it one step at a time. Firstly get it working for installation on an internal then increased speeds and perhaps LBA if I read up.

I haven't really got to time to do a guide, but if your actually going to go hacking the kext you will need the appropriate device IDs and then just insert that into the kext I found, it won't work if you just install the kext.

You also shouldn't need to play around with VMware, that was just because there was no guides how to install important drivers to install such as SATA controllers.

I was in email contact with eddie11c at 8pm GMT yesterday, but I don't know when he will get back to me with a PPF because the working week has begun and all that.

I think I've covered all your responses? Oh and lol at the Greenturtle joke :rolleyes:

Keep us updated mate, I remeber reading something like that about the speeds in ObsidianX post last year hopefully way to make it faster sounds like this should work from here i feel kinda dumb now cos i remeber reading all this and didnt try it out but i dont really know how to add kexts yet anyway,

Will leave it to you mate let us now every step ! :())

Good luck 7mb sec what should it be at full speeds?

Well I've been reading up some more and the kext I altered is basically really stripped down version that enables read/write and is the PIO version I think I read.

This means that the max speed we could get it to is 16 mb/s which is still very slow. I think normal speeds are around 70 mb/s which is only going to be achieved if we rewrite the entire Kext which isn't going to be possible because I plainly do not know how.

The only person capable of such a thing would be medevil, and he abandoned the chipset anyway. Although I'll PM later after I've got my patch from eddie11c.

TBH this driver isn't going to be particullary reliable judging from reports I've read but it's better than not having any read/write capabilities! Without an expert in the subject of SATA Kext programming this thread is basically doomed, because I am definetly no expert and I don't expect any of you guys are.

Have replied to your pm now Turtle, but in short the news probably isn't what you wanted to hear as while I did somehow get my nvidia sata working, since that post a good few months back I've blagged a new AMD690 chipset matx mobo for my home pc which I'm happy to report Neo4All v2 (once I ticked or unticked the right boxes) worked with out of the box (sound, LAN & sata in achi mode).......I only then had to get my ATI HD2600 working properly and Im now a happy bunny although I have to admit I haven't migrated from Vista yet and probably never will.

One question, I have to ask as a quick read of this thread and I didn't see it mentioned, is are you all running your sata in native AHCI mode as IDE mode never worked for me at all.

as for the PIO mode, I think you might be right that the HD speed isn't optimised although it never seemed that slow to me but I do think very occasionally I suffered a hang due at accessing the disk....also I don't think I ever got it seeing both my Sata HDs AND my Sata DVDR...there might be a 2 drive limit?

Good luck

It's not something I've had to face yet. Unfortunately most of us have a bios that does not allow setting of ACHI and IDE and seeing as I run XP and Vista I am going to assume I have it running in IDE mode seeing as XP doesn't play nice with ACHI. Am I right in making that assumption?

Erk, I do home I don't face that problem although it's likely now that I will, and will never have XP and Mac playing nicely together without some advanced config. blurg.

It's not something I've had to face yet. Unfortunately most of us have a bios that does not allow setting of ACHI and IDE and seeing as I run XP and Vista I am going to assume I have it running in IDE mode seeing as XP doesn't play nice with ACHI. Am I right in making that assumption?

XP can be set to run in ACHI mode but you first have to make a registry change prior to the reboot were your going to set the bios to ACHI...it'll go slow on the reboot and take maybe 5mins to find the correct drivers to install afterwards but from then on its fine.

Vista is the same re: it searching for new drivers although you don't have to hack the registry beforehand.

I'd have thought 90%+ of Bios have AHCI mode but sometimes I think it goes under a different name...ie on some you have to enable RAID in order to be able to set as AHCI or Native Sata as I think its sometimes also referred to.

Here's some in depth info on enable ACHI in XP LINK, I think you can ignore the take a backup option as if XP's not happy at first boot with ACHI enabled, you'll know about it at the initial stage of XP's boot and can set it back to IDE mode in bios. On mine I didn't have to pre-install any drivers.

Erk, I do home I don't face that problem although it's likely now that I will, and will never have XP and Mac playing nicely together without some advanced config. blurg.

thats what I thought until Leo4All finally worked for everything (bar the HD2600) out of the box, and the Apple Video updates sorted the gfx.

All I need now is a way to have just one boot menu (Vista's) instead of Vista's if loading Vista & Vista then Darwin (down arrow to OSX) if loading OSX

i know this thread is labled as SOLVED, but in reality it really isn't yet. there is a release or a patch for an iso availiable yet! i would think that when that happens, then it would be solved! anyway, i'm looking forward to hopefully an iso patch that i can add using windows! since i can't get leopard installed on my internal or external. my laptop won't see mbr on my external connected to usb even with usb boot enabled in bios!

Yes because the title is the core feature ofthe thread that helps the progression of the kext.

I'll upload the kext for you guys to test as well seeing as I've done all I can do without being able to test installation to the internal!. At the moment this won't help you install the internal unless you inject the kext into the iso which is what eddie11c is doing for me!

unzip and place the new kext file in your extensions folder

then In Terminal, type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

then restart

@ impulsion: I use vistas BCD bootloader. If you install the bootloader even if your using XP with easyBCD then add Mac OS to the bootloader it should automatically pick up your USB hard drive. Alternatively there should be an option to select bootable drives on the first screen that appears when your laptop turns on?

AppleVIAATA.kext_2_.zip

I have something I want to try first before I update the DVD with this. Will email you Greenturtle with something(probably not till tomorrow). If it works I will integrate it on the DVD.

Sounds exciting. Ok well I anxiously wait your email like I have been all day :D