VMWare Fusion on a Hack?

71 posts in this topic

I installed VMware 2.0 rc1 I had support for four virtual cores then I updated to final release and now I have option for only two VC's!? Did they drop support for four cores, or is it "serial" related or is there something wrong with my Hackintosh?

It's a vanilla kernel runin' Q6600 with 2Gigs of ram and P35 mobo (btw everything worked great on rc1 and still does but no four core option only two).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

p.s. I think that it might be a serial issue but I'm not sure... *cough* :) *cough* :whistle:

hi, I installed vmware fusion and it said to restart my pc so I pressed power as the screen said and now everytime I start up the mac part of my pc it gets a gray screen saying to restart and it wont go away no matter how many time I turn off then turn on my pc.

That is the first thing I thought when I started reading this topic. Why the hell would you put one of those programs on a hackintosh! Seriously.. if you wanted a PC.. then run a PC. I understand putting it on my REAL mac.. I need windows for a couple of things for work... but whatever you can do on PC you can pretty much do on mac. So whats the point.

You people are all missing one important fact. VMWare is also available on FOR Windows. So going by what you are saying, the only version of VMWare that makes sense at all is Fusion. I guess it's time to write to VMWare, Sun (Virtualbox) and Microsoft (Virtual PC/Virtual Server/Windows 2008 hypervisor) and tell them they've been wrong all this time, and wasting their time on this whole virtualization hooey. (Keep in mind that 'virtualization' is one of the biggest buzzwords in the industry right now)

You people are all missing one important fact. VMWare is also available on FOR Windows. So going by what you are saying, the only version of VMWare that makes sense at all is Fusion. I guess it's time to write to VMWare, Sun (Virtualbox) and Microsoft (Virtual PC/Virtual Server/Windows 2008 hypervisor) and tell them they've been wrong all this time, and wasting their time on this whole virtualization hooey. (Keep in mind that 'virtualization' is one of the biggest buzzwords in the industry right now)

I don't understand you're point? We all know vmware is available for windows.

I get the following error when trying to boot my XP VM.

I even tried the version 2 beta but still get the same error. Could it be my P4 631

If your video does not support QE/CI then it won't work.

Make sure you have correct video drivers and QE/CI supported

I had same problem and right vid driver fixed it

I installed VMware 2.0 rc1 I had support for four virtual cores then I updated to final release and now I have option for only two VC's!? Did they drop support for four cores, or is it "serial" related or is there something wrong with my Hackintosh?

It's a vanilla kernel runin' Q6600 with 2Gigs of ram and P35 mobo (btw everything worked great on rc1 and still does but no four core option only two).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

p.s. I think that it might be a serial issue but I'm not sure... *cough* :pirate2: *cough* :whistle:

yes yes, the same issue. only 2 cores in the settings instread 4cores. mabse it is because we hawe a core qadro, and in the description of the supported hardware there are core duo and xenones? maybe there is any patch or somehting else to make all cores work?

For me there is another important thing: You can run more than one instance of Parallels or Fusion which means more than one VM at the same time. I just virtualized two real WinXP machines into one OSX86 machine using Paralles Transporter. This new Hack is now my server.

These are my most important reasons for using a virtualisation tool on my hack:

1) I just have one machine running instead of three (or at least two) which saves power and money

2) (Even more important) The moment I decided to do that was when I lost my XP server machine due to some kind of virus (at that time unknown to my AV program). Of course I had a backup of my data, but re-installing the machine took me hours. Now I have time machine running and if this ever happens again, I just close the VM, put it to the trash and copy an older version from the TM Backup. Remark: many viruses do not work in VMs to protect them from being scrutinized...

JL

Runs like a charm for me.. just push the CPU to 90% when starts, then drops down to 5% when VMWare is running. Can use Photoshop CS3 +iTunes+VLC+others app while VM is running, and it runs fine.. just the Unity mode consums a lot of ressource, then the different windows are a little bit slow... but in full screen it is Ok!

I have still my Real XP on an other HD because of games and for my TV Tuner (S-800, Intuix). When I start it under VM, lauch the channel search and BBAAANG!!! the "Dead Blue Screen of XP". I never believe I see it one time in my life under an Hackintosh...

• 3 weeks later...

Hy..I've been trying to run Fusion on my hack without success.Everything works till the point i try to run a vm..then it gives me right away the "you must reboot.." screen.Checked the logs and nothing.Before i had the "not reached bora.." error (when i didn't had QE/CI) now this.

Can it be because i'm running on MBR partition scheme??..i'm lost here...

If someone reads this and can help just post or pm me.

Thanks

Hy..I've been trying to run Fusion on my hack without success.Everything works till the point i try to run a vm..then it gives me right away the "you must reboot.." screen.Checked the logs and nothing.Before i had the "not reached bora.." error (when i didn't had QE/CI) now this.

Can it be because i'm running on MBR partition scheme??..i'm lost here...

If someone reads this and can help just post or pm me.

Thanks

What specs does yous system have? How much ram? Put your specs in your sig.

Mbr shouldn't affect it as i've had it running on both guid and mbr. Try a different version of vmware fusion, are you sure you have the newest?

What specs does yous system have? How much ram? Put your specs in your sig.

Mbr shouldn't affect it as i've had it running on both guid and mbr. Try a different version of vmware fusion, are you sure you have the newest?

Hy..willpower101.. Yap,i have the latest 2.0.0-116369 and i downloaded a 1.1.2 version just to test..exactly the same result with the two.

My specks are in my sig,i think for the last 3 weeks :D ram is under Memory..

I read people that had problems,even though they had QE/CI..i have with GMA950 but it's not perfect..i get some lost cursors and some squares with some app's..BBedit,Toast,in input boxes..

I only use these kext's (if that helps):AppleDecrypt,Disabler,AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer (for resolution),ALCInject,AppleHDA,IONetworFamily and AplleSMBIOSEFI.

Thaks for the help! I can take MBR out of the problem :)

p.s.: the windows partition is detected as bootcamp partition.But i´m not trying to boot that.

My specks are in my sig,i think for the last 3 weeks :D ram is under Memory..

Whoops. I'm blind :)

When if says "you must reboot..." you are getting this error inside the virtual machine right or osx? how far does the virtual machine get?

Also, am I reading that right that you only have 1gb of ram? I recently went down from 2gb to 1gb temporarily and when I tried to run vmware fusion on the Vista install I have, which it sees as a bootcamp partition, it would almost instantly crash. I can't remember the error message I got. This was when allocating 512mb to the vm and 512mb to osx.

I was able to barely get it to boot if I bumped the allocated vm ram up to 768mb, but then everything runs slow. I had to go make lunch and come back in 15 minutes before vista would be running in vmware.

Since it appears that you are using xp, I can't tell if the ram limitation is a problem for you or not, but you can try bumping up the allocated ram and give it some time to boot, if it does, then that's the problem.

I don't know a whole lot about this, I'm just going off the problems I had getting it to boot.

wait, I just reread what you said: "the windows partition is detected as bootcamp partition.But i´m not trying to boot that."

What are you trying to boot in vmware then?

kernel must be named mach_kernel to make vmfusion work

Well..so i have to try that.. :P ..i'm using voodoo_beta2 with a string in boot.plist,not renamed.

Right away :)

Thanks muad..i'll be back!

Edit: Yap :( as simple as that! When i read what you wrote i new it..the symptoms checked..Fusion was firing the mach_kernel(vanilla) in the root.

Thanks mate,very very much! :D i did some heavy reading before i got to this thread.

Can you point me in some direction on my ATI x1600?..i read a lot of threads but they all seem so "dead" and got no god results.Best i get is blue screen..

Thanks again,man.

Whoops. I'm blind :P

When if says "you must reboot..." you are getting this error inside the virtual machine right or osx? how far does the virtual machine get?

Also, am I reading that right that you only have 1gb of ram? I recently went down from 2gb to 1gb temporarily and when I tried to run vmware fusion on the Vista install I have, which it sees as a bootcamp partition, it would almost instantly crash. I can't remember the error message I got. This was when allocating 512mb to the vm and 512mb to osx.

I was able to barely get it to boot if I bumped the allocated vm ram up to 768mb, but then everything runs slow. I had to go make lunch and come back in 15 minutes before vista would be running in vmware.

Since it appears that you are using xp, I can't tell if the ram limitation is a problem for you or not, but you can try bumping up the allocated ram and give it some time to boot, if it does, then that's the problem.

I don't know a whole lot about this, I'm just going off the problems I had getting it to boot.

wait, I just reread what you said: "the windows partition is detected as bootcamp partition.But i´m not trying to boot that."

What are you trying to boot in vmware then?

Hello..as you can see i solved the problem with muad´s tip.

I was only trying to create a machine and run it.I don't want to boot the "bootcamp partition"..that partition has the original XP MCE that came with the PC..my fathers use it,i don't -_- For now,i really only need windows because of some software that doesn't exist for Mac.Have to see what i can run..i'm runing on the edge with only 1G of RAM and GMA950.If i can get my ATI Radeon x1600 to work i'll be fine :P i'm planing to add some RAM.

Now i can backup my cell phone,run my little HFS server,etc without reboot..sweet.

Thanks a lot for trying to help..really apreciated! If you ever need,just call :(

I have an ASUS P5K Premium Mobo, Core2Quad Q6600, 4Gb RAM, iATKOS 4.1 updated to Leo 10.5.5 and VMWare Fusion is working just fine. I was even able to run CorelDraw X4 in Unity mode, and drag my files from finder window into Corel window and the files opened naturally.

Unity requires more CPU (or at least more Graphics card power), it seems. Running on full screen on another Space screen makes it look sweet runing XP SP2 (taking easy on CPU ;) ). A simple CTRL+arrow and everything is switched. :)

No crash so far.

• 2 months later...

adding my experience...

Motherboard d945gclf2, Leopard 10.5.5, Vmware Fusion 2.0

When trying to install ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso, wmvare gives up with;

Unrecoverable error: (vmx)

NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1288

(Parallels 3 failed when installing the x graphic interface using the same ubuntu image)

Parallels 4 won't install, since the processor doesn't support virtualization.

EDIT:

I hadn't installed the video kexts since I run my hackintosh without a monitor (I use Apple Remote Desktop /Screen Sharing over the network) After installing them I don't get the "quartz" error and I could continue installing.

Note: ARD+Vmware+Ubuntu= very lazy mouse movements....

When restarting after installing, ubuntu says there is a "bug soft lock" something to do with pulseaudio and wmvare says the guest system has locked the cd door....but after exiting and restarting again it works!

Pretty slow though, opening firefox takes 50 seconds.

• 4 months later...
I know what Fusion is for. I use it every so often on my MacBook. But I just don't see the point in having Fusion on a hack. I mean it's not like you can't boot into Windows easily. It's like setting up Boot Camp on a hack. Why? It just makes no sense to me.

Does it matter why? You don't want to but others do. Why post something if you don't want to help?