VMWare Fusion on a Hack?

71 posts in this topic

Guest ѕиоѡ

XP SP3 running good here with VMWare Fusion 2 (beta)

I use it mainly for converting Xvids with ConvertXtoDVD. 1GB and 2 cores dedicated to Fusion.

I know what Fusion is for. I use it every so often on my MacBook. But I just don't see the point in having Fusion on a hack. I mean it's not like you can't boot into Windows easily. It's like setting up Boot Camp on a hack. Why? It just makes no sense to me.

The point being is so people dont have the hassle off rebooting but can enjoy the benefits off windows

like me i like and much prefer msn and the apple version shouldnt be allowed its pathetic so i use msn for windows in fusion and i love winamp which i also use in xp under fusion in coherence mode and is great

Guest ѕиоѡ

I would only boot again into native windows (if I had it installed) for playing games. When you have OSX and a decent system (2 cores 2 gig) you don't need a native Windows install for office work.

What's the point of Fusion on a Hack? Your emulating BIOS on an emulated EFI on a BIOS. C'mon now.

That is the first thing I thought when I started reading this topic. Why the hell would you put one of those programs on a hackintosh! Seriously.. if you wanted a PC.. then run a PC. I understand putting it on my REAL mac.. I need windows for a couple of things for work... but whatever you can do on PC you can pretty much do on mac. So whats the point.

That is the first thing I thought when I started reading this topic. Why the hell would you put one of those programs on a hackintosh! Seriously.. if you wanted a PC.. then run a PC. I understand putting it on my REAL mac.. I need windows for a couple of things for work... but whatever you can do on PC you can pretty much do on mac. So whats the point.

The point is that you use a lot of Mac program and maybe one Windows program, in my case HotConference is not available for Mac, I don't want to use the whole Windows crappy programs.

Sometimes I need to check a USB memory Stick for viruses, I the Virtual Disk is infected I can throw it, even I can have snapshots of it.

Another example is that you maybe need to use a specific browser for certain sites, even that Safari or FireFox can act disguised as other with User Agent they don't work, One of my banks can't function with Safari or FireFox, and running the PC Windows just for it no thanks, I can boot fusion fater than my native windows tho.

what's better Parallels or VMWare?

Is a matter of choice, I prefer Fusion over Parallels even that Parallels are faster on Windows XP (on Vista Fusion is the Winner), but Fusion Behave better than Parallels, eve so there are few things when I use Parallels instead of Fusion, but every day choice is Fusion.

You can visit the Virtualization Sub-forum (not the virtualisation one which is VMware for Windows/Linux), there are several discussion about Fusion vs Parallels and even benchmarks.

I’m running vmware fusion on my hackintosh, installed windows xp sp2, what’s the point? I hate reboot to start another OS, of course I don’t like windows, the only reason I have it...I’m using Rosetta Stone 3, and no patch for mac yet :D

pabs :D

Hey, I run a virtualized windows XP for some stuff, but i see that in my vmware window there is also a boot camp option listed. That's weird because last I checked hacks don't have bootcamp. What does this bootcamp thing do? Im scared to click it :rolleyes:

Hey, I run a virtualized windows XP for some stuff, but i see that in my vmware window there is also a boot camp option listed. That's weird because last I checked hacks don't have bootcamp. What does this bootcamp thing do? Im scared to click it :P

If you dual boot do not click boot camp option...vmware "Hardware" will be different with your actual hardware...Windows sees it as "a lot of changes" to your hardware and requires re-activation...

• 1 month later...
Thanks ill give it a go. Fingers crossed, cant be arsed with another kernel panic!

EDIT:

Installed but get an error when I try to install XP

I had the same problem, then I decided to investigate why the word "Quartz" appeared, which led me to the conclusion it had something to do with QE/CI (Quart Extreme) being disabled, so I dug through on how to enable it on my card using NVInject, and voila... I now was able to install windows XP under Fusion...

Hope this helps

The other reason for running an XP virtual machine under VMWare on OSX is copy and paste between apps in the VM and OSX. For me this is a biggy for SonyEricsson based apps like Handysafe that only have desktop connectors that run under XP, but where I need the info in for example a safari browser session running under OSX.

Also sharing files - easily possible between a VM XP instance and your OSX instance.

Lots of reasons you might want to run something like VMWare or Parallels on your Hackintosh or real Mac. VM's are so much less hassle than a full install, especially the snapshotting feature that lets you roll back to previous states of your XP VM - great for recovering from crappy software installs.

• 1 month later...

VMWare Fusion on my Mac is a mixed bag.

If I use the VM only and don't touch any mac apps it "seems" okay. But if I try to do some work on my mac apps while the VM is running my system will either Kernel Panic, or the system will hang.

It would be great if I could get VMWare Fusion to be more stable.

Anyone have any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?

Anyone have any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?

A good start would be telling us about your hardware, what version of vmware fusion you are running, what OS you are running in the virtual machine, and what settings you have used for your virtual machine.

Or we could just guess. :D

A good start would be telling us about your hardware, what version of vmware fusion you are running, what OS you are running in the virtual machine, and what settings you have used for your virtual machine.

Or we could just guess. :(

My install is a JaS 10.5.4.

Asus P5K SE/EPU

Intel Q6600

4*1 GB OCZ 1000

I'm running version 1.1.3 of Fusion.

The guest OS is Win2k3.

The settings:

2 virtual processors

1024 MB memory

no 3d acceleration

bridged network

Heh, I was just about to make a thread about this.

Any on a 10.5.1 Kalyway on a P35 with a quad core, would it be best to go with Parallels or VMware? (reliability being more important then speed)

I've tried both Parallels (build 5600) and VMware Fusion (1.1.3-94249) and I think VMware is more comfortable and quicker. Actually I hadn't have any problems either with Parallels or VMware on my hack, both were stable.

i've been using fusion for teaching myself how to network different OS's and playing with active directory. i can't really justify buying 5 machines to install different OS's on and play around with but with fusion i've had 4 machines open at the same time without even breaking a sweat. then, if i configure something incorrectly all i have to do is return to a previous snapshot. plus linux seems pretty picky about booting on my motherboard too so it gives me a chance to have a play around with that. maybe it's not for everyone though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I installed a dual boot with ms server 2008 (basically vista) on part1 and osx on part2. It detects my server08 install as a boot camp partition, but when I try to boot it, it just shows a black screen with

b0 error

any ideas how to fix this?

I tried unmounting the server os. no luck

tried flagging the server os for boot in terminal, (but didn't reboot b'c that would take away my osx boot). No luck.

any ideas?