VMWare Fusion on a Hack?

71 posts in this topic

I use it all the time on my Core2Duo with EFI :(

It also worked for me on a Pentium D on Tiger (Asus Mobo). Tiger 10.4.6.

So yes it does work on a Hack, Also I used it before on Leopard with the Sleep kernel by Netkas and it works on that too.

Thanks ill give it a go. Fingers crossed, cant be arsed with another kernel panic!

EDIT:

Installed but get an error when I try to install XP

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

NOT_REACHED bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1220

A log file is available in "/Users/stuart/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Other.vmwarevm/vmware.log". Please request support and include the contents of the log file.

To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks ill give it a go. Fingers crossed, cant be arsed with another kernel panic!

EDIT:

Installed but get an error when I try to install XP

I'm running into the same thing, using Kalyway 10.5.2 on a Dell Optiplex 755. Everything else works for me, just cant get Fusion to run. Anyone have any fixes for this?

Couldn't get it fixed decided to use Parallels and am very happy with it. The coherence mode is amazing too.

It is running XP sp3 not far of native speed.

What was the problem?

Vmware FUsion running flawless here and unity mode is great also. Dual core support in Fusion made XP considerably faster over Parallels for me.

I get the following error when trying to boot my XP VM.

VMware Fusion unrecoverable error: (vmx)

ASSERT bora/mks/main/mksQuartz.c:1250

A log file is available in "/Users/stuart/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/vmware.log". A core file is available in "/cores/core.1122". Please request support and include the contents of the log file and core file.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, run "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vm-support.tool".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

I even tried the version 2 beta but still get the same error. Could it be my P4 631

I ran VMWare fuzion on my hackintosh Dell 1505 without issue. Oddly, it was only installed because I couldn't get Parallels to do anything but lock up the system. On the flip side, I did have trouble with a real mac using Fuzion yet loved Parallels. And then vica versa on a macbook.

Seems its nothing specific, it just either works or doesn't. Haven't tried it on my AMD Hackintosh (A real test of "will it work on a hack") as its currently in random parts. I keep turning up with bad sata drives falling into clicks of death (Not all bought at the same time, not all used on the same machine. *shrugs* Bought from same place, however...)

If VMware fails, try Parallels. If Parallels fails, dual boot. If you can't multiboot... get an extra cheap PC or find Mac alternatives to requested software.

how does it working on an AMD determine it being a 'real' hackintoshe? sometimes i wish it was like the older days where you had to have some sort of common apple hardware to avoid all the random distros and patches for AMD and non-SSE3 systems.

I know what Fusion is for. I use it every so often on my MacBook. But I just don't see the point in having Fusion on a hack. I mean it's not like you can't boot into Windows easily. It's like setting up Boot Camp on a hack. Why? It just makes no sense to me.

I trade with my Hack. I use order entry tools under OS X in Java and charting under Windows via Fusion 2.0b1. It does make sense.

Microsoft Office 2007 for PC is 100 times better than the Mac version. There's another reason to have windows running in the background of your OSX system.

There are tons more. Seeing that VMware with XP SP3 only burns about 4% processor on my machine (in Unity Mode, which kicks butt on a dual monitor rig,) I see no reason NOT to have it running fulltime alongside OS X

I see what your saying, but to me it just doesn't make much sense. But whatever.

that's probably because you're an idiot. rebooting and having to close all your open documents/applications is lame. you're argument is also very lame, you get that there is Fusion for 'real' intel macs but not hacks because hacks can just reboot into windows. well guess whats, real macs can boot into windows also?

Works freaking great on my hack pro, actually I'm not sure why Fusion is running so smooth on my setup. I installed it and without a single tweak or changing a goddamn setting it booted my XP SP3 which was installed on a separate hard drive. All I had to do was to open the fusion application and click on boot camp, that;s all. It's fast and responsive like a real fresh version of windows, maybe it's because it has 2 cores and 2GB of ram to use. Can't wait for Fusion 2.