The Poll Is On- Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose?

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose? (1791 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Mac OS X Distribution Would You Choose?

1. Zephyroth 10.5.2 Rev.2 (78 votes [3.98%])

Percentage of vote: 3.98%

2. Kalway Intel/AMD 10.5.2 (793 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

3. Leo4Allv3 10.5.2 Intel/AMD (392 votes [20.01%])

Percentage of vote: 20.01%

4. JaS Intel / Leopard (138 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

5. iATKOS / Leopard (266 votes [13.58%])

Percentage of vote: 13.58%

6. I like Retail Installs with Patches. =) (235 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

7. Neither of them, I'm a chicken. (57 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

themanis

themanis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Well, i Believe iATKOS v1.0i & v1.0ir2 is simply the lest hassle wise and it provides much greater compatibility than the ones i tried which are Le4Allv2 & Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Again, there's so much more that we can expect from all those great people that Build all those Mac OS Images!

Good Luck to all of them! :)

ADoNuT333

ADoNuT333

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Well I would have to say Leo4Allv1 because it is the closest I have come to seeing the installer screen on my Toshiba A215-7422. It makes it to the blue screen and thats about it. All of the others give me a "waiting for root".

workersss

workersss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I dont think any of them would run/support qe on my setup, for now I have Leo4all but I'm still in shock just to see mac osx on my wintel machine.

stormshadow777

stormshadow777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
macgirl is right. i'm a newbie and the distros should be spelled correctly. finding them in torrent sites based on your list would return zero results. this forum is about community help, we should start correctly.

WinLinMac01

WinLinMac01

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:I am a technology enthusiast! I've been with InsanelyMac since January, 2008 (My other...
Chill, I fixed it buddy. We all make typos regardless. Humans are imperfect beings, the same applies to all dimensions of space, lets not forget that. :D :D :D

None of the Above, I prefer to install with a real Mac and put patches after.There are no options for BrazilMAC method or Prawkers method.Incredible that you cant even spell right the names of the "distributions". -_-

Read the post I wrote to macgirl. Please accept my apology on this minimalistic typographical error. Thanks mate. :P ;) :D

macgirl is right. i'm a newbie and the distros should be spelled correctly. finding them in torrent sites based on your list would return zero results. this forum is about community help, we should start correctly.

exman

exman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I've only used the Kalyway DVD. Haven't had the chance to try the other releases. But Kalyway is working so I don't have a need to try the other ones yet.

zorro07

zorro07

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
For me it depends on the hardware. use different versions on different machines. depends what works.

muitommy

muitommy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Piano x Mac OS X
from my point of view, they're all the same lol
i need to tweak all of them after all, so i prefer retail install.

rtomek

rtomek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I originally used BrazilMac, but Kalyway made things so much easier, and I think his options are the best

resonance

resonance

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Kaly on certain specs and Leo on others, both have their pros and cons.
Haven't had a chance on the Jas one, but looking forward to it when it's released, and also to the Leov3.

If I had some spare money lying around (but not enough to buy a "proper mac!") I would prolly go and buy themost mac freindly components and go Retail with patches

Annoid

Annoid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Well, first one I was exposed to was Kalyway 10.5.1, which worked very well, almost everything worked right out of the box. But I couldn't update to 10.5.2
Kaly 10.5.2 came out, but the installer wouldn't even boot.
So, I tried Leo4AllV2, which required more tweaking in order to get sound/graphics working, but was installable.

So, I guess it comes down to whatever will actually install on the system.

thefinalprophecy

thefinalprophecy

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Retail Disc install. But I did use kalyway on a second (external) drive as a temp install of which to launch the retail disc installer.

Espionage724

Espionage724

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
Well after I installed kalyway, i managed to get my ethernet working without any problems. When i tried it on iAtkos and Leo4All, it gave me kernel panics.Well after I installed kalyway, i managed to get my ethernet working without any problems. When i tried it on iAtkos and Leo4All, it gave me kernel panics.

SDRacer48

SDRacer48

Air Cody...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Duh! Computers. And my wonderful wife.
iATKOS works great for me in consideration to Leopard, but my 10.4.8 Jas Install that I updated to 10.4.11 is so solid and perfect.

Long live Jas, mad respect...

netobi

netobi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.2 (photo booth no work, ichat good ) and tohkernel 9.2 on my Mac Medion MD96350, this is the only hack_in_touch worked perfektly in my ALdi machine. leo4allv2 work but no keyboard and no mouse, i think cause to ...ps2nub.kext. the wireless intel pro 3945abg no work for both.
im now trying to install jas 105.2 with crossed finger.

spec:
ICH8 Family
intel core 2 duo 5250
intel GMA X3100
intel wireless 3945abg
Realtek RTL8101E
Audio: Realtek HDA 8xxx
Ps2 keyboard
Ps2 Touchpad

zuz_242

zuz_242

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i did choose zeph over leo4all, as it works best with my machine.
with leo4all i had panics and no graphic support..

dodgeme

dodgeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
iAtkos 10.5.1 ir2 patched to 10.5.2. Kalyway for some reason wont boot on my computer so ive sticked with iAtkos. Its overall running great and thats on an external hard drive lol. I should prolly move it onto my ide eventually.

geekdad

geekdad

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Well I have installed Kalyway ( both releases) and Leo4all(both releases) and JaS (Tiger release) My thoughts are:
Kalyway has worked best for me on desktop computers. Don't ask me why it just seems to work that way.
Leo4all worked for both my home built desktop and my Dell laptop with the most features working right out of the box!
JaS worked great for the Tiger release I worked with. I have not tried his latest release though.
So my favorite would be Leo4All as it seems to be more adaptable to both hardware platforms....desktops and Laptops with more features and more things working out of the box.

XoDeus

XoDeus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I would choose one that covers my hardware profile the best way, so I don't have to hunt down kexts and drivers for my hardware. I'm on a laptop, so I'm searching for a release that, has fixed the slow fan and cpu overheating issue, and it seems to that leo4allv3 will work. I'm waiting. I've had Kalyway installed, and almost everything worked. Hope that leo4all will be better...

(MoC)

(MoC)

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:Plenty.
Kalyway, plz, k, thx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy