Several Questions. Please Help.

suicida1.nun

11 posts in this topic

First of all, I want to say that I totally love my Hackintosh. I'm totally blown away with my Hackintosh, my MBP is jealous with envy! :P I am using the newest release of Kalyway's 10.5.2 install with Vanilla Kernel.

But I do have a few questions:

My Apple DVD Player is not working. It can't really read any dvds and just has a black, plain screen. On one dvd, I managed to get a Region Does Not Work or similar kind of error. I did search the forum for this but still does not really help me understand what's wrong with my dvd player?

I would gladly use VLC but I want the Apple DVD Player because it supports "Close Captioning" which VLC does not have. This is different from subtitles, mind you, and I generally hate the look of subtitles. The close captioning feature of the DVD Player is important since some of my older movies (Notorious by Alfred Hitchcock, for one) do not have subtitles but have close captioning support.

I keep getting "DVD Player encountered a system error. Error: -70001" or "Error: -70025"

Helppp?

---

I also have four gigs of ram installed and my "About This Mac" does recognize that I do have 4 gigs of memory. But when I go to Memory in System Profiler, I don't get anything--just an error message. I've attached a few screenshots for clarification.

---

When I run MacTheRipper, I cannot rip DVDs that has ARccOS even though research (Wikipedia ftw) says that MacTheRipper would be able to rip such encrypted movies. Are there certain settings I have to use with this kind of encryption? When I attempt to rip such movies, MacTheRipper quits almost instantly without a crash log or error report.

Advice?

About_This_Mac.tiff

memory.tiff

I havent tried playing a commercial DVD on my new hackintosh yet, I'll give it a shot tonight and see if im getting the same problem. Couple of things to try though...

See if rosetta is working at all (mine was broken out of the box). This post helped me get mine working:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry655440

On your memory issue, try pulling out half and running with 2gb to see if the problem goes away. I had a lot of crashes with 4gb installed and those problems disappeared when I dropped down to 2gb. from reading on the forums there are some BIOS settings I need to investigate but I haven't had time to look at them yet.

Yeajh 4GB can cause some problems. Also make sure you have QE/CI enabled, I couldn't get VLC to work because there was no hardware accelretaion for the device tio display,maybe its the same with DVD player. Mac the ripper is an old program, I'd try Handbrake

Yeajh 4GB can cause some problems. Also make sure you have QE/CI enabled, I couldn't get VLC to work because there was no hardware accelretaion for the device tio display,maybe its the same with DVD player. Mac the ripper is an old program, I'd try Handbrake

I believe I have QE/CI enabled? I posted my screenshot of my graphics/display.

VLC works just fine, I am able to watch movies on it. But it does not have close captioning support like Apple DVD Player. I will try dropping down to two gigs of memory.

I did use HandBrake a few times, but I prefer MacTheRipper since I would be able to play the Video_TS files on Apple DVD Player (full menu, cc-support, everything). Unfortunately, this is not the case at this point.

I might do a clean install using the old kalyway 10.5.1 install and upgrading it to 10.5.2. I did use that install at first but had difficulties with my video card. But my ram was recognized correctly in system profiler. Perhaps DVD player might work.

I am also thisclose to ordering a new retail DVD drive, since my current drive was OEM. I did read a few posts saying that some OEM drives came installed with a different region. So far DVD Player has not asked to reset my region so I don't know what to do yet.

qe_ci.tiff

Looks like you have QE and CI enabled, that's good. Could be the DVD drive, try a Pioneer drive that;s fully suported.

YESSSSS! I swapped out my Samsung SATA for my Pioneer IDE and Apple DVD player works beautifully now. Now to see if MacTheRipper works better now.