Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

God , I'm so with all the anti Psystar people one thing OSx86 Does NOT need is more publicity. with things like kalyway becoming acutely useable i hope we can all be left in peace. Were no help centre for people who cant be bothered to shell out for a mac. Were geeks here to support our each other in were relatively underground. We need to let people like psystar know that its not something you can cash in on! , The last thing this community needs is big or small companies Coming and drawing attention to us! I guess what I'm saying is , Woah back of psystar or the whole of OSx86 down with your pathetic attempt at cashing in on us. I think I've said all i wanted to. If you agree with me, comment back.

You are right but the difference is that Apple, IBM, Novell etc are working within the rules of the BSD License or the GPL.

This is why Apple release the Darwin Sources - they are legally obliged to under the terms of the BSD License. And it is also worth noting that "big business" makes significant contributions in terms of actual coding - Open Source is no longer the domain of the hobbyist developer working for free - Linux Code Contributors.

Out of the top 30 contributors of code to the Linux kernel:

Red Hat 11.2 percent

Novell 8.9 percent

IBM 8.3 percent

Intel 4.1 percent

And now, back to the topic du jour - I'm finding the psystar issue to be deeply unpleasant. Hackintosh will not benefit from mainstream news attention and the attention of Apple. Psystar aren't just arse holes, they really are stupid if they thought they could carry this off.

I can't help but think that the days of OSX86 are numbered - Apple will be looking to close this down permanently. Has anyone else wondered why Intel Macs all received an EFI firmware update in the last few weeks?

There is a precedent case where Data General prohibited their OS to run on non Data General hardware and DG lost. Apple could sue but if they actually lose - it would be very bad for them. I think that their EULA is challengeable. It's probably non-binding in many other countries. Remember how Compaq won in court against IBM when they reverse-engineered IBM's proprietary BIOS. We know what happened after that.

I'm not siding with this company but a lawsuit woudn't be a slam-dunk by Apple.

we don't want to fight with Apple. we're just little parasites that show apple what hardware can OS X run on, find some bugs and report them so apple can do their patchwork and tell Apple that ppl want time machine icon on menubar no on dock smile.gif we're like those litle fishies cleaning up a big whale and we don't want to become whale

That was a nice definition, and i hope we keep this way. Im totally pro and official statement against the psything

There is a precedent case where Data General prohibited their OS to run on non Data General hardware and DG lost. Apple could sue but if they actually lose - it would be very bad for them. I think that their EULA is challengeable. It's probably non-binding in many other countries. Remember how Compaq won in court against IBM when they reverse-engineered IBM's proprietary BIOS. We know what happened after that.

I'm not siding with this company but a lawsuit woudn't be a slam-dunk by Apple.

If I were Steve Jobs and I lost this case.... Watch out for the Next processor Mac change......

I still dont think the issue is about them running it, but them selling it. Personally I think it was an intention for it to be hacked and run on users PERSONAL hardware, so long as yoou BUY it from Apple or a VAR. But to have a renegade sell it... With hacks and patches to make it "work." Those are the issues I see challenged. Where is Apples cut in all of this...

Payola Baby.. And do what you want. LOL.

Jobs was off course in knowledge what it would mean to change from ppc to x86 so I do not believe in processor change for the moment, I remember the horrid time of classic :P in these times whenever some safety system goes out there is someone who can break it ; Apple is gaining enough popularity in pc users (I’m no talking about mac users) with the iphones, ipods, and this kink of things in some way give apple more popularity.

I’m mac user at job but at home I’m hackintosh user because can’t afford a mac, here in Chile a car it’s more cheaper than a mac pro :P

Time to wait what happens.

pabs :devil:

God , I'm so with all the anti Psystar people one thing OSx86 Does NOT need is more publicity. with things like kalyway becoming acutely useable i hope we can all be left in peace. Were no help centre for people who cant be bothered to shell out for a mac. Were geeks here to support our each other in were relatively underground. We need to let people like psystar know that its not something you can cash in on! , The last thing this community needs is big or small companies Coming and drawing attention to us! I guess what I'm saying is , Woah back of psystar or the whole of OSx86 down with your pathetic attempt at cashing in on us. I think I've said all i wanted to. If you agree with me, comment back.

agree

i hope that the newsposters keep us up to date with the trial :P

there is obviously no way that apple looses this!

EDIT: i sent a mail to the company and asked some explanation. will keep you informed!

eagerly awaiting further developments ... :P

(almost feels like a new iso release) :P

I dont know if anyone posted this already because i cant be {censored}ed with searching through 12 pages but it would have probably been a far better idea advertising the computer which could run a store bought copy of 10.5 rather than pre-installing it.

PS : 100th post! Quite weird how i've been visiting this forum every day since i signed up and have only managed to post 100 times.

It seems Psystar has added a page... Open Source

with the following wording:

Psystar embraces the Open Source community. We're all about open computing and the idea that software should be customizable, portable, and available. We use Open Source software in the Open Computers like PC EFI by Netkas, the GRUB bootloader, Ubuntu Linux, and many other Open Source efforts out there. We use Open software in our PsyStor SAN by Sun and IBM. We use the Linux kernel in the Psystar Gateway Router. Psystar will promote Open Source projects in every way possible. To the Open Source community: thank you.

First, let me say I support Apple. I currently own two Macs with legal versions of Leo.

With that said, I've always questioned the legality of Apple's EULA. There really hasn't been any challenge to it because it's been impossible (pre-Intel Mac) or rather inconvenient. I'm not sure Apple can win this fight, at least not completely. I suppose it's likely that Apple could prevent Psystar from selling hardware with Leo already installed. They may even be able to prevent Psystar from selling Leo at all. But how can they ban a company from selling hardware configurations that just happen to be almost as compatible with Apple OS as the Macs are? I don't think that's possible.

I think Psystar took the in-your-face approach to get the headlines and get people to check them out. It would seem that's working. Now, they challenge the EULA, maybe lose some of the battles, but in the end, Apple cannot stop them from selling hardware that Apple doesn't own the rights to.

So, Psystar gets the fame, cannot sell Leo, and sells a ton of inexpensive Mac-compatible hardware.

Win--Win--Win, right?

I'm also really interested in what OSx86 distro they're using. Apple will probably (before suing them) buy one, analyze the OSx86, reverse engineer it, and release a whole bunch of patches against it, and then sue them.
for the record, i did read this whole thread even though i'm quoting a post in the earlier pages...and i wanna say that i appreciate all of the hard work everyone has put in to make osx86 possible. i really do. i LOVE my pMac and i'm thankful to have it even with the small issues i do have.

but some people are taking this stuff waaaaay too seriously. except netkas and any other developers who've worked their asses off making this possible. seems like everyone needs credit for making this possible for this company...and royalties wouldn't hurt.

and to reply to the quote. if you think apple doesn't already know about osx86 you're crazy. hell, i found out a week ago by reading about it in maclife magazine for god's sake. on the cover of the april issue of maclife "install os x on a pc"..and if i remember right they mentioned project osx86 and the kalyway disk, and that you could find it in the "usual places". lucky for me, i know the usual places!!!

0324_AprilCov_389_0.jpg

ok back to apple. do you think they really care? seriously, this company is offering a hacked mac that's a tech support nightmare for psy--- and all of us installing it on our hacks. if anything they should just sit back and laugh their asses off at all of us. now if we had a completely foolproof install that was easy to install and worked without issues....maybe then they would see this as an issue. if anything it will only make apple look even more user friendly in the long run.

my 2 pennies.

p.s. almost forgot....those bastards used my case(pro version).

Hey everyone,

First time poster here and (yes) because of Psystar.

I currently have 7 Macs in service at office and home and am a long-time user. But only 2 are Intel, and this Open Computer is a way to cheaply add another box to my workflow, so I'm gonna give it a shot, knowing full well what roadblocks/problems might be ahead.

FWIW, trying one of these Psystar's out is not only cost-effective, but it does open up the door for more people to maybe dig deeper and find out more about and from this community, and who knows, maybe contribute something.

If I have problems with this Psystar system, I'm hoping I'll still be welcomed here as a user and hopefully, a contributor.

i think you got it wrong... people here dont make money out of building macs and making it possible commercially bcoz this is a community project... this company is making it commercial and in the support section forwarding their customers to IM! Thats why people are angry here at the company... anyone can do the hardware compatible enough to run osx w least problems... However these clowns installing osx and sending customers to IM for support... at least they can say, all installation fees whatsoever will be contributed back to community for further projects... nah... they take their money, and leave the rest to IM :)

also netkas may be offended but he didnt invent the efi himself... he took over the last bits flag from someone else and improved it as well, i just think he meant to make sarcastic joke about authorship...

but at the end, if this company gets away with installing osx, IM community would suffer from it, either apple would close the sources from now on, go crazy to court and shut the site down for our so called demo projects? all of you know the consequenses...

but one good result may come as well, apple would be forced to let osx run on 3rd parties hardware... which would help community and Apple as well. Apple always play the snobbish ball of being sarcasting about windows for being full of junks and viruses and stability issues... we would see how apple would suffer from the same issues as windows is designed to work on 100000 configs where as apple forces you (you can argue that apple doesnt force anyone to buy anything, but you would understand what i mean, if you understand my point) to buy certain hardware config and charges you 2-3 times what it should bcoz of brushed cases... :)

If I have problems with this Psystar system, I'm hoping I'll still be welcomed here as a user and hopefully, a contributor.

you are welcome but don't ask me for help :) really. you pay Psystar for technicall support, Psystar will (hopefully) pay us and we will pay Apple

Come on!

What is going to happen?

More troubles to come for OSX86 users. We do not need more attention...

Well, but I remember those days when it was quite hard to get the hardware working...

Now, this PCs will work with Mac right just OTB. Nice... Apple style... :)

That's fair. Frankly I won't be expecting much in the way of support from them. And if their system doesn't work, I'll be just another noob going down the 86 road from scratch. Hopefully you'll help me then. :)

you are welcome but don't ask me for help :) really. you pay Psystar for technicall support, Psystar will (hopefully) pay us and we will pay Apple

you would be another user in the community but, you buy from these clowns, and expect help from community who really helped making it possible... but these clowns are the ones collecting the fruits... you could ask in the forums and made the machine urself, nothing so special about their so called open comp.... asus case intel chipset mobo on board gfx etc... however u went to company and expect help from them not community :) people will be sarcasting about it... and you said it yourself, now everyone will spot u :P

note: admins/mods should change his identifier as the "Psystar Customer/Buyer" so people would know who they are helping to :P

That's fair. Frankly I won't be expecting much in the way of support from them. And if their system doesn't work, I'll be just another noob going down the 86 road from scratch. Hopefully you'll help me then. :)

i hope that the newsposters keep us up to date with the trial :)

there is obviously no way that apple looses this!

Unfortunately things doesn't look so good for Apple in this case.

First they can't simply forbid s.o. to build and sell his own computers. And these are de facto normal computers since it is a common X86 C2D technology.

Second thing is that the EULA is not relevant in most countries other than the USA. That means no matter what good wishes and wet thoughts Apple or any other company put in there, it does not effect national contract law that always stands above it. So in Germany for example, it is allowed to install Leopard on every computer you like, no matter what Apple set in the EULA.

What Apple can do (and I bet what they will do when this psy-thing is getting bigger) is to enjoin Psystar from making advertisement in the style that they mention the possibility of an easy Leopard install. This is against the EULA and thus it means that in the U.S. it is not allowed.

However, in most other countries, it will be still allowed to install OS X on a non Apple hardware, no matter what yadda yadda the EULA says.

This is also fair, and I can live with that. The only thing I take exception to in your reply are the words "expect help from community". I'm not expecting anything.

As I said in my first post, I'm just someone who needs to cheaply and quickly add another Intel-based computer to my workflow that can run OSX. If it turns into more, and I can contribute something to this community, then hopefully I will be able to. You can label my identifier if you choose, but in the end I'm just another Macintosh lover and supporter, and also one who relies on OS X to run my business.

you would be another user in the community but, you buy from these clowns, and expect help from community who really helped making it possible... but these clowns are the ones collecting the fruits... you could ask in the forums and made the machine urself, nothing so special about their so called open comp.... asus case intel chipset mobo on board gfx etc... however u went to company and expect help from them not community :( people will be sarcasting about it... and you said it yourself, now everyone will spot u :)

note: admins/mods should change his identifier as the "Psystar Customer/Buyer" so people would know who they are helping to :)