Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

If a third party brought out a MacBook variant, I would be a lot more interested in this story. I just saw the screen on the latest model of MacBook and it's poor by modern standards. The colours look washed out as opposed to vibrant and sharp. People watch movies on their laptops these days. Hope Apple have a rethink on this, fine as it is as an office machine with good battery life. The screen on the MacBook Air, however, is excellent.

[...]the screen on the latest model of MacBook and it's poor by modern standards. [...] The screen on the MacBook Air, however, is excellent.

Stange, but I've noticed that too ;) I hate to accept it, but the screen on the MacBook Air looks MUCH better! (i.e.) Toshiba delivers better displays for the same money comparative to the MacBook. And I was looking to buy myself a MacBook and/or a Thoughbook... Something very portable that can run even osx... But MacBook Air is out of my options :D I think I'll wait for Xmas and see what happens... Maybe psyboyz will design some "miraculous" OpenBook till then :P

• 1 month later...
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L

ram - does not mater

hdd - ....

gfx - it has integrated intel gma950(like in macbooks)

GA-G31M-S2L from Gigabyte site

Intel® G31 + ICH7 Chipset

multi-core and 45nm processors

Solid capacitors design in CPU VRM

Dual Channel DDR2 800

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (Intel GMA 3100)

4x SATA 3Gb/s interface

Gigabit Ethernet Realtek 8111/8169

Integrated High Definition audio alc662

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
Something I just thought of, that should really have been in my first post.

Even with the EFI emulator installed (which err, has questionable legality in the first place...) the fact is, that any Mac OS X installed on a generic PC will require dsmos.kext, r3d3.kext or an equivalent decryption kext... and no matter how you try to put it in words, there is no way what so ever that those kexts are legal - as it's completely obvious that it's reverse engineered from Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext. Thus at least breaking the DCMA.

Unless of course they managed to get their hands on AppleDecrypt.kext source - which was made by Apple for the old IDK and they [Psystar] modified it so that it would work with Leopard - but with the exception of them having an insider in Apple that has source access though, there's no way they'd have this (most people have probably never even heard of this Kext... unless they used to work for Apple or something).

~mac.nub

Edit: Fixed typos/grammar/hopefully made it a bit easier to understand.

I know for a fact that apple did not write AppleDecrypt, it has also now been reworked to not include or require the key/poem and PsyStar is in possession of the source.