Psystar Offers Non-Apple PC, with Leopard pre-installed.

458 posts in this topic

Yep, I really don't see this little white box being the end of InsanelyMac or OSx86, it's actually a pretty good value. If anything I would hope that this pressures Apple to make Macs more expandable. You should be able to use any modern ATI or Nvidia video card out of the box with a Mac.

They even linked to us in their FAQs :(

Im really interested in what motherboard they are using.

Me too

I'm also really interested in what OSx86 distro they're using. Apple will probably (before suing them) buy one, analyze the OSx86, reverse engineer it, and release a whole bunch of patches against it, and then sue them.

this can be pretty bad for all of us hackintosh users, because we were pretty underground till now, but companies like this making the posibilities so open and known apple might take more actions to ensure osX doesnt work on nonapple hardware, as well as take legal actions to companies like this. Lets hope this will die quick and we can continue our business.

I couldn't have said better myself. My coworkers were all happy and cheering this and wanted to buy one. I told them I could build them a dev box just as good and that it would be for the "hobbyist" in me. For the fun of learning and nothing more.

My main box at home is just that, a hobby built hackintosh with a retail leopard install. For work, we buy real macs. Until apple decides to sell an EFI for generic pc hardware then I won't even go there. It's just for fun and for learning. Companies like this make me sick. If Apple wanted to clone again, they'd let us know (and who is to say they won't go there soon, but not with a company like this)

These people are idiots. Why do they have to be such asses about it? If somebody really wants to sell OSx86 compatible computers, why not call them Darwin compatible or sell models named after certain distros? This will not only {censored} off Apple, but it'll {censored} off the OSx86 community too.

I really don't have anything cogent to say on the subject that hasn't been said above. However, I'd also like to agree that they're tools.

And netkas is right, too. I'm not sure how easily one could support that sort of thing and hope to win (and not be sued for all they're worth :))

-___- I suppose we could always hope this will be the dawn of a new beige-box era.

(And not the temporary/not-so-temporary death of the OSX86 project...)

Can I run updates on my Open Computer

The answer is yes and no. No because there are some updates that are decidedly non-safe. Yes because most updates are not non-safe. It's best to check on InsanelyMac for this information but when in doubt don't update it. You may have to reinstall your OS X if it is a non-safe update

http://www.psystar.com/can_i_run_updates_on_my_openmac.html

:)

my position about it
netkas, you can write your position here, no need to link it, it is not big enough, even you can copy and paste it.

on topic:

I say, we should send our lawyers to Cease and Desist those links

I am troubled by this company. Going through the website (what I can, anyway), they give *ZERO* credit to all the hardworking OSX86 programmers that work in their spare time to help make OS X compatible with standard PCs. JaS, Kalyway, netkas, mac.nub, eddie11c and countless others are the reason that Leo is so widely available and compatible today. Psystar is benifiting financially from their work giving nothing in return.

At least their operation will be gone very soon. I'm positive Apple's lawyers are already preparing a suit against them. There is no way this is legal and impossible for this company to win. Frankly, I believe a lot of people who build their hackintosh systems here will be Mac owners someday, and we want to encourage people to buy Apple products if we love them so much.

Give credit where credit is due. Psystar is going down, and they deserve it.

And then, we can expect (as the trend of mob psychology dictates) that more companies, following Psystar's lead, will offer such computers, and then the Mac OS X would experience a sudden bloom in market share. And when enough companies decide to sell computers with OS X installed, then Apple can't really do anything about it.
Are you kidding? Apple will enjoy each and every company that tries to do this. All it will mean is further security in OSX making updates more dangerous for hacks, and not to mention they're going to get some nice settlement checks when these companies cave in. There is no law on this planet (that I'm aware of) that legally allows you to profit from someone else's intellectual property without proper permission to do so.

This is bad news, people! PC_EFI will probably not work anymore in the near Future...
I'm confident it will always work. What will change is the way Apple approaches updates. As we saw in 10.5.2 a few months ago, Apple *does* have the power to discourage hackintosh users. I don't think they can necessarily stop EFI v8, but they can certainly stop companies like this.

Purple Puppy.... Your statement is asinine. "And when enough companies decide to sell computers with OS X installed, then Apple can't really do anything about it. "

The company who wrote the OS can do nothing about it???

Do you think it would be hard for apple to switch to another processor as they have done 3 times before.

Not only that, but the legal team will have a field day with all the companies ILLEGALLY SELLING their OS....

Hacking is one thing. Thats a free thing. BUT Deliberately and illegally profiting off their work??? Whats the point of Licensing agreements and Patents.....

Of course we cry this till the shoe is on the other foot. Ask all the Starving musicians who put out a CD only to have it copied everywhere. They don't recover their upfront costs and they don't get proper recognition. We often look at the 10% that gets noticed, but forget about the other 90% that gets screwed. (I am sure the stats are a tad more liberal than my exaggerated estimate)

I do hope this pressures apple to make an expandable computer (I repeat myself) for a lower price point. The mini is a nice concept, but 2 PCIe slots would be nice. Even an ExpressCard/34 slot would be nice. Then I could hook up my Magma.....

Apple would be plainly aware of this site and the number of hackintosh machines in circulation.

Just like MS there is a level of healthy piracy allowable (up until Vista anyhow).

In the case of Mac it's even more beneficial as not very many people will bust up $2k just to "try" something new.

OSX86 gives people the ability to try before they buy and I'd be certain the execs at Apple know and welcome this, but you'd be a fool to think that the method and ability to stop OSX86 dead in it's tracks hasn't already been designed and developed. Once Apple decide they've reached a critical mass of hackintosh users they'll flip the switch and hope the mass buys a real Apple.

These clowns trying to sell clones have no legal recourse and they'll be squashed like a bug irrespective of what goes on here.

I just hope this doesn't force Apple's hand with regard to putting a bullet in OSX86.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Ok I totally agree this is bad for us successfully running osx on non apple hardware in the near future... on the other hand it's kind of funny because apple now has a big bullseye to shoot at... and we get to sit back and giggle.

Proceed with the pants being sued off of someone!

Although... somehow I still feel like I've lost a tiny bit of "geek prestigue" with the local IT crowd...

I do hope this pressures apple to make an expandable computer (I repeat myself) for a lower price point. The mini is a nice concept, but 2 PCIe slots would be nice. Even an ExpressCard/34 slot would be nice. Then I could hook up my Magma.....

the lack of a expandable core2 apple desktop is the only reason i built my hack. if they have had one, i would have bought it! i don't need a xeon 8 core machine just to plug my 2 eizo monitors in and run photoshop!

These clowns trying to sell clones have no legal recourse and they'll be squashed like a bug irrespective of what goes on here.

I just hope this doesn't force Apple's hand with regard to putting a bullet in OSX86.

I don't think Apple necessarily has the tools to completely break OSX86. They can definitely find ways to break certain installs, of course. Why do you think the anti-piracy tool in OSX is called "Don't Steal Mac OSX.kext"? What you may see is Apple being more agressive to break hacks, but much like the iPhone, the community will always find a way around it.

However, companies like this have no chance at all. I hope they're an LLC, otherwise this person is going to get taken for everything they own and more. I really can't see them getting a large enough customer-base to be any sort of threat to Apple. Anyone's product, Apple included, are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If people are willing to spend over $2000 for the higher-end models, and they own the only legitimate way to sell the OS, what incentives do they have to stop?

What you may see is Apple being more agressive to break hacks, but much like the iPhone, the community will always find a way around it.

Definitely.. Nothing is hack proof. I should have written "Make it a whole lot more difficult".. Which still has a negative effect on this site (and on potential newcomers). It's a hard enough learning curve as it is :D

Cheers,

Arkay.

well said, but you cant stop people from doing things like this at least trying... Well wheter it is right or wrong, it will bring serious attention and will force Apple to take action before it goes out of control! I love Mac Design and Softrware, but that doesnt mean they should mark up 80% from something that would otherwise cost half if not less worth bcoz of a brushes shinny body? Apple doesnt make PCs! why should they charge double if not triple what it worths... Also, I am not sure about if Apple OWNs the OSX or licensed/certified it from Unix? Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 Registered Product source

We know that Apple will trash the site, but It is a nice pressure on Apple to bring some awereness...

Apple would be plainly aware of this site and the number of hackintosh machines in circulation.

Just like MS there is a level of healthy piracy allowable (up until Vista anyhow).

In the case of Mac it's even more beneficial as not very many people will bust up $2k just to "try" something new.

OSX86 gives people the ability to try before they buy and I'd be certain the execs at Apple know and welcome this, but you'd be a fool to think that the method and ability to stop OSX86 dead in it's tracks hasn't already been designed and developed. Once Apple decide they've reached a critical mass of hackintosh users they'll flip the switch and hope the mass buys a real Apple.

Cheers,

Arkay.

I fell how many feel about this... The company give NO credit to all the developers that worked hard on a kext, for patching leopard or netkas to developing EFI V8. I know I own a real mac but I still support the OSX86 project 100% its a great way to get used to OS X before you get it. Psystar crossed the line though, this was meant to me nothing more than a simple hobby but they are trying to turn it in to a industrial chain and are trying to make money off other people sleepless nights and hard work, that is just wrong. We the members of insanely mac need to get a internet petition together and demand the discontinue of selling pre-installed leopard on them. It is fine they sell a computer that is ready for the install but they shouldnt charge people for what they can acquire on their own for what it was meant for, a hobby and not for resale.

@Macgirl - let the lawyers at these guys, the last thing this forum needs to be is dragged into a lawsuit because a few a$$es wanted to make a few bucks off others work.

I can't find anywhere on their site the actual specs of this system, has anyone heard what mobo they are using for the build, etc? I've got to imagine all the hardware they are using is listed in our wiki and they have to be members of this forum too. They should be banned and their IPs blocked but who am I to be judge, jury & executioner ...

I'm also with those of you who have built a hackintosh, loved the experience then bought a mac. I keep my hackintosh for the fun of keeping it working (no vanilla kernel here, since it won't run with my cpu)

well said, but you cant stop people from doing things like this at least trying... Well wheter it is right or wrong, it will bring serious attention and will force Apple to take action before it goes out of control! I love Mac Design and Softrware, but that doesnt mean they should mark up 80% from something that would otherwise cost half if not less worth bcoz of a brushes shinny body? Apple doesnt make PCs! why should they charge double if not triple what it worths... Also, I am not sure about if Apple OWNs the OSX or licensed/certified it from Unix? Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 Registered Product source

We know that Apple will trash the site, but It is a nice pressure on Apple to bring some awereness...
Of course they own OS X, and of course they have probably licensed/are allowed to use some things not invented over at Apple, that doesn't mean they have less of a ownership or right to decide what they want to do with their product (as long as their licenses/agreements allows that of course.)

It's not "from Unix", even thought BSD are indeed made from Unix, the branding are just a certification as in a test to see if it behaves as unix does. It doesn't mean much. I could be just as much unix without being allowed to be called unix.