Company selling pre-built Hackintosh

qw3rty

56 posts in this topic

I'm guessing that this computer wouldn't have any type of support. I wouldn't build a hack for my roommate because of the support issues from him blindly installing an update that may disable the system. They are already doing it with my mac mini downstairs when I told them to let me do them. I can imagine what issues would arise if hundreds of people blindly update their systems and flood the company with calls.

I'm already guessing that I'll be stuck at 10.5.2 for a while on my hackintosh; 10.5.3 may be locked down even further... but that's ok, because right now I have everything running the way I want it. It also helps that no one goes in my room to use the computer.

So I'll wait until some of you guys blindly update to the new version and fill the forum with chaos before I think about upgrading. :(

yea i am worried too that they shouldnt have bothered godzilla (apple) and that way osx86 was much under radar, for the hobbyists like us.

but this company is smart. see the amount of press attention they have got. once apple sends them cease and desist, they will stop the pre-installed option and may be tweak a name little bit (OpenMc or something), they can see to those who are looking to try and give it a shot of themselves. many noobies that you find in this forum asking for what hardware, could go ahead and buy that and install it. The company would have never gotten that attention otherwise.

but apple may not act bastardly and make hacking harder, not to mention though that they have smarter people on other side of the fence also (remember iPhone story)

How could this company be so stupid as to market itself this way? First, ain't nobody in their right mind gonna buy a "Mac" from anyone other than Apple unless you're a geek like the people on this forum (and we already know we can build our own hackintoshes). Next, Apple will sue this company into non-existence. Could you imagine Apple letting this company survive? They would never in a million years allow it.

The worst thing is, Apple was already starting to catch onto people making hackintoshes. This will only make the situation worse for us.

How could this company be so stupid as to market itself this way?

I looked at a cached copy and found the company was based out of Miami. That says it all for me. There are some people with no common sense here.

Psystar Corporation is a consulting company based in Miami, Florida. Specializing in Information Technology and Telecommunications, Psystar Corporation provides solutions for businesses of any size on any scale.

I think they just put themselves out of the consulting business as well, especially if they had sold and delivered any of those systems. Maybe not, but I remember back in 2002 I bought a Corecrib system (basically "gigabit eithernet" motherboard in a PC case), after a while Apple Legal clamped down on them and they just their business down. If they were gonna do it, they should have just created another company. Still a dumb decision.

Great. Apparently on their website (should it come back up), they mention OSX86 and are directing people to come here for support. For example, in their FAQ on software updates they say that some are good and some might be bad and require reinstallation of the OS. Then they go on to tell people to check this site for more info.

I mean, let's face it, most of us are here because we needed questions answered, but at least some of us give back by contributing knowledge and helping fellow users without trying to profit from it. It galls me that a company is profiting by directing users to a "free" resource. Just because there's no entry fee doesn't mean there's no cost.

Well, I didn't say Apple does not know the existence of this forum or what we are doing here. Why did you think that I am assuming that Apple doesn't know the existence of this forum anyway? Just curious.

You sounded like you didnt want to draw attention to the site like it was a secret or something. Attention isnt going to hurt the site, it already has plenty. EULA's are not law, and Apple has no power to do anything to this site as long as it steers clear of posting copyrighted material.

Each and every one of us has been spending non-negligible money and time to make his hackintosh machine as a hobby. Psystar tries to make money and run business out of our accumulated knowledge.

They give credit to the site and arent pretending that they invented this, what more can they do? Theyre just offering a service to do all the patching to people who are too scared to do it themselves. What I think will happen in the end is that theyll have to scrap the idea of preinstalling Leopard and will just offer a 100% compatible osx86 PC.

Either way this is drawing a huge amount of attention and if Apple ends up getting their act together and releasing a non-crippled midrange tower then everyone can thank psystar.

Maybe we need a front page saying that "you cannot refer this website and cannot use the knowledge acquired from this website for commercial purpose and if you don't agree, gedafukattahere" or something.
I second this
Theyre just offering a service to do all the patching to people who are too scared to do it themselves. What I think will happen in the end is that theyll have to scrap the idea of preinstalling Leopard and will just offer a 100% compatible osx86 PC.
Commercial purpose...

Commercial purpose...

And this forum doesnt have a commercial purpose? Have you noticed the google ads? You probably werent around when the creator sold the site for a nice sum of money because of how much is made from advertising. The people who invested money into buying this site didnt do it to run a charity or just barely scrape by with enough to cover hosting, they expect to make that money back like any business would, and thanks to all the news about the openmac they are probably making a nice amount today with all the free publicity (the site is pretty slow today, its probably getting bombarded with visitors).

I wonder which distro of OSx86 they're using in those "Open Computers"?

And whichever it is, Apple will probably disguise as an old woman or something and buy one of those Open Computers, reverse engineer the OSx86 part of it, and then release a whole bunch of updates to patch against OSx86 stuff. How terrible that would be.

And this forum doesnt have a commercial purpose? Have you noticed the google ads? You probably werent around when the creator sold the site for a nice sum of money because of how much is made from advertising. The people who invested money into buying this site didnt do it to run a charity or just barely scrape by with enough to cover hosting, they expect to make that money back like any business would, and thanks to all the news about the openmac they are probably making a nice amount today with all the free publicity (the site is pretty slow today, its probably getting bombarded with visitors).

yes, the site IS slow today. yea, i know that i just registered today but i've been lurkin' around here since i first heard about hackintosh's back in feb. '08.

http://wow.shoupz.com/forums/server-down-o...el-pentium.html

http://www.crazypellas.net/general-18/hack...-on-a-pc-39402/

You sounded like you didnt want to draw attention to the site like it was a secret or something. Attention isnt going to hurt the site, it already has plenty. EULA's are not law, and Apple has no power to do anything to this site as long as it steers clear of posting copyrighted material.

They give credit to the site and arent pretending that they invented this, what more can they do? Theyre just offering a service to do all the patching to people who are too scared to do it themselves. What I think will happen in the end is that theyll have to scrap the idea of preinstalling Leopard and will just offer a 100% compatible osx86 PC.

Hi idividebyzero,

Let me clear myself. I do not like Apple's attention to our forum in the view of threats to their revenue. Before this Psystar incident, I am sure they view us as a bunch of hobbyists, which is true by the way, and that's why they didn't try us under EULA. But with this incident, they may think again. Someone threats their revenue using our efforts and knowledge. And while EULA is not a law (I never said it's a law and you don't explain it to me, we all know that, but Apple's EULA is not known to against any law neither in U.S. because it's never been tried.), we are in violation of one of their clauses in EULA. Your argument "Apple has no power to do anything to this site ..." is simply dead wrong. They can try us using Section 2A "to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time" (which I think it's an unfair practice) in court. When it happens, we don't have enough resource to fight with them. That's why I don't like Apple attention. Personally I wish Psystar (not us) and Apple fight in court to find the clause in EULA is in violation of consumer rights. If that happens, then what we are doing here is not illegal under the law instead of violating Apple's EULA.

Best wishes,

Stravaganza

P.S. When you read posts of others, try to understand what they say without assuming anything.

P.P.S Citing a copyrighted material or crediting to the owner or originator is a way of avoiding plagiarism, not a way of not-breaking all laws.

^if i remember correctly from a college business class (from class so i don't have any sources as proof), the courts have general sided with software companies when it comes to eulas.

the case was about if a consumer can try to say if they really didn't read the eula so that they didn't agree to the eula in the first place... but that they were forced to accept the eula in order to install the software. the software company won, not the consumer.

my source: "West's Business Law, Text and Cases, Legal, Ethical, International, and E-Commerce Environment Ninth Edition" by Kenneth W. Clarkson, Roger LeRoy Miller, Gaylord A. Jentz and Frank B. Cross, pages 334-337, with Cases "i.LAN systems, Inc. v. Netscout Service Level Corp." and "Specht v. Netscape Communications Corp." given as real lawsuits when the courts sides with the software company.

so if the courts follows previous court rulings than psystar stands no chance of winnin' a lawsuit against apple. (yea, i finally found my source, damn 1084 page business law book not makin' it easy to find it by not listing it under "software" or "eula" in the back of the book...).