Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

Interesting - I'm not too concerned about DVI output, I'm just trying to use up all the spare parts I have hanging around and the 7300GT would have given it a bit more credibility than the GMA950.

Well, I ordered the case anyway along with a couple of gigs of Geil PC5300 DDR2.

I'm going to stick a 160GB SATA drive and a slot loading slimline DVD-R in the case (will have a friend cut a slot in the fascia so that discs can be loaded/ejected. I'm hoping I can also reuse an old Zalman CNPS8000 cooler:

8000_c.jpg

It is lower profile than the standard Intel cooler but I think the footprint may be wider - will be interesting to see if it will fit..

Interesting - I'm not too concerned about DVI output, I'm just trying to use up all the spare parts I have hanging around and the 7300GT would have given it a bit more credibility than the GMA950.

Well, I ordered the case anyway along with a couple of gigs of Geil PC5300 DDR2.

I'm going to stick a 160GB SATA drive and a slot loading slimline DVD-R in the case (will have a friend cut a slot in the fascia so that discs can be loaded/ejected.

The plexyglass is not that easy to cut because it's thick but I just put it away and cut the slot in the underlying plastic foil only ...

I'm hoping I can also reuse an old Zalman CNPS8000 cooler:

8000_c.jpg

It is lower profile than the standard Intel cooler but I think the footprint may be wider - will be interesting to see if it will fit..

I used the standard Intel heat-sink that fits well but added another small fan on the north-bridge cupper heat-sink that was really hot after few minutes if you leave the Shuttle open (in such a case no air-flow is actually forced on it) :) .

Orso

My K45 arrived today and I installed the E4300, Zalman cooler, DDR2 etc.

I had to cut 1cm off each end of the plastic cowling that goes around the fan on the cooler in order to get it into the case.

CPU temps are around 43 degrees C with the case closed. I experimented with the casefan, switching it from exhaust to intake and back to exhaust again. No discernible difference.

I may rethink the front as I'm unable to get the DVD in just yet as my adapter is too wide. Need a slim one. I was considering making a new front using Front Panel Express......

In terms of Leopard, I cloned my current Bad Axe 2 build and booted off that. Just need to iron out a few kinks:

- GMA 950 has CI/QC but no resolution change yet

- no network yet

- no sound yet

- shutdown hangs (sometimes KP's)

So not a great result - I may make a fresh install rather than taking a clone.....

My K45 arrived today and I installed the E4300, Zalman cooler, DDR2 etc.

I had to cut 1cm off each end of the plastic cowling that goes around the fan on the cooler in order to get it into the case.

CPU temps are around 43 degrees C with the case closed. I experimented with the casefan, switching it from exhaust to intake and back to exhaust again. No discernible difference.

I may rethink the front as I'm unable to get the DVD in just yet as my adapter is too wide. Need a slim one. I was considering making a new front using Front Panel Express......

In terms of Leopard, I cloned my current Bad Axe 2 build and booted off that. Just need to iron out a few kinks:

- GMA 950 has CI/QC but no resolution change yet

- no network yet

- no sound yet

- shutdown hangs (sometimes KP's)

So not a great result - I may make a fresh install rather than taking a clone.....

Welcome onboard the Hack-Shuttle :) !!

just curious how can you switch the casefan from exhaust to intake.... take it apart?

reinstalling will fix for sure video (QE/CI and resolution but minor artifacts) net (perfect) and sound (but the main volume), sleep is fine too, but shutdown sometimes hangs and worst of all I don't understand when (and why) it happens: my better guess is that it fails to close some open applications.

Orso

Welcome onboard the Hack-Shuttle :) !!

just curious how can you switch the casefan from exhaust to intake.... take it apart?

reinstalling will fix for sure video (QE/CI and resolution but minor artifacts) net (perfect) and sound (but the main volume), sleep is fine too, but shutdown sometimes hangs and worst of all I don't understand when (and why) it happens: my better guess is that it fails to close some open applications.

Orso

I took the fan out of the Shuttle case, turned it around and put it back in. :angel:

My installation is based on Brazilmac - I may just hunt around for the kexts for sound, network etc. Failing that, I might take a clone of my son's hack which is based on the 945 chipset..

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've spent a little longer on my original install (a clone of my Bad Axe 2 Brazilmac based build from a retail disk).

I got the screen resolution set correctly by editing com.apple.Boot.plist and adding the following:

Graphics Mode

1280×1024×32

This isn't really ideal as I cannot change the resolution in System Preferences but it will do for now. QE/CI are fully supported already.

I enabled sound with the latest HDA Audio Patcher (v1.20) from Taruga. Google for alc662.txt and drop it into the patcher. If I get the time, I'll boot into Linux and get a dump specific for the alc662 used on the K45 board as, although the sound works, the main volume control does not and you have to use the volume slider within iTunes or VLC etc.

Incidentally, patching the audio also fixed my problem of kernel panics on shutdown.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the onboard LAN to work so I bought a cheap Belkin PCI card. Works fine.

So with the system now pretty much complete I can move onto the case etc. Still to do:

Get a slim adapter for my optical drive as the standard one is too wide. Suggest this Adonics adapter. The drive is currently connected via IDE and resting on top of the chassis.

Decide what to do about airflow. I'd quite like to get some air flowing _through_ the case. Considering cutting a hole in the front for an intake fan (no bigger than 80mm).

Order a new face panel for the box. Front Panel Express look great. I figure I can have a front panel made that includes the slot for the optical drive and (if I decide to) a hole for the intake fan. The new panel will screw onto the same points as the current acrylic face plate. Anodised black aluminum would look pretty good I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 3 of these things and 2 of them i have already Hackintoshed them with Kal's 10.5.2 The install was flawless with Sleep and wakes up like a champ.

I bought a couple Slim Line E-IDE burners for this for under 40 bucks each. I also bought a Slim Line DVD/CDRW Sata drive which you can get on Newegg Slim DVD Sata but decided to go with E-IDE to IDE that i found at a local PC recycler around town one from NewEgg as well as a pioneer I won on Ebay for $23.00. Here are some with decent prices. Slim DVD Burners

OK well this is what i found that can make the small E-IDE drives work with minimal space needed.

Slim E-IDE to Sata

Also the ones below are the ones are the ones that i purchased and im waiting for them to arrive from Hong Kong. The guys said 4 days to a week and half so we will see. Since the K45 only has 2 SATA output and a IDE i decided to go with the IDE that way i can add another hard drive later.

E-IDE to IDE

I am also working on adding front USB ports to the bottom center of the K45 there are already pre drilled holes for 2 USB as well as Audio out and looks to be Mic In. If you look on the board itself there are still 2 USB options and audio options to add but are not being used on the barebone system. I will add pictures as soon as i can with this completed. This is a great hidden gem as they say i currently have 3 of them and for $99.00 US cant beat it. With all the hidden features on this thing its a sure hit for hackintosh not to mention for that crappy Vista OS.

I have tried everything I could think of to get the SATA channels to recognize under Leopard, and they simply don't.

The IDE interface works like a champ, but there are many ATAPI to IDE adapters that are simply ill suited to the K45 case due to size.

These ones fit perfectly:

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsatapisa.asp

Problem is they are ATAPI to SATA, and Leopard does not recognize the ICH7r Sata controller (0x27c08086).

Has anyone else had any success?

Cheers.

Still waiting on my Adapters from Hong Kong the ones that i am getting posted the link on my prior post are for E-IDE to IDE and from the way the pictures look its simply connects flush to the back of the drive. I had a feeling if the Drives themselves are not sata that the sata controller would not work looks like it may be the case. Thats why i am going with the ide setup for the DVD Burner. I should be getting them anytime. I will post my finding and pictures asap. These things make perfect Hackintosh's small and they are fast.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes im using a 500 gig Seagate Sata Drive and Airlink PCI N Draft wireless card. I also use a Slim DVD/RW Pioneer using the IDE adapter. Will give more specs and photos tomorrow.

hook us up with some pics?

Are there GMA 950 artifacts/mouse tearing???...thanks :)

sorry..i m italian............. :)

I haven't noticed any artifacts or mouse tearing. Just a shockingly low OpenMark score compared to my 7600GT and the 8800GT in my other Hack. :) But thats what you should expect with GMA950 integrated graphics.

Did anyone get a regular 3 pin fan work in the smart fan mode?

I hoked up a 3 pin case fan to my K45 barebone (it came with no fan) and now it spins @3000rpm regardless of the bios settnigs. Is there a mod to connect the 3pin fan to the 4pin mobo connector and get the PWM control?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question. I just ordered a K45, will JaS 10.5.4 work on this? or only the Kalyway 10.5.2? I suppose I could just as easily update the 10.5.2 to 10.5.4, but I have used the JaS stuff in the past, and it's worked well for me. Is there any reason that version wouldn't work?

I also have the Powercolor Radeon HD 2400 coming. I hope it works out, as it should be a huge upgrade over the GMA 950.

Thanks,

jrog

I have experiences with both iAtkos v4i and JaS 10.5.4 on a K45, and they haven't really been great.

iAtkos v4i

The distro installs fine in a GPT partition structure. The Intel GMA950 works out of the box, you won't have to check the driver during installation, this isn't needed. Audio also works great, I think using the Azalia driver. The inputs aren't working though. You'll have to use Taruga's HDApatcher for that.

The system still had some big problems though. The Marvel 80E8056 only starts working after manually editing a kext. Some files, like the default Leopard wallpaper are missing, and so are the languages. And the system can't reboot or sleep. Shutdown is working fine though.

I installed it with the Vanilla kernel and kexts. But I wanted to look a little further... Since others got all of this working fine.

JaS 10.5.4

This gave me even more problems from the beginning on. After only erasing the HDD (thus not repartitioning) the system wouldn't even boot after installation. I had to do it again, and repartition the drive this time (again using GPT), so it would boot.

After booting up, I couldn't get past the screen where you're asked to transfer your settings from another Mac because, again the network adapter wasn't working. The bad thing is, that you can't disable the network adapter from BIOS, so you're stuck at this screen unless you're willing to fiddle a bit on the command line.

This wasn't a real problem for me, but after I got past that screen, I found out that the Intel GMA950 was stuck at 1024x768. So I also gave up on JaS this time. (Despite good experiences in the Tiger era.)

Now I'm left with trying these two distro's:

Kalyway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 combo

iDened 10.5.4 v1

I'll let you guys know how that's gonna work out. I'll prolly try Kaly first, because others have had good experiences, and I have good experiences with Kaly 10.5.1 on my main system. (Also all with vanilla kernel and kexts.)

Quick question. I just ordered a K45, will JaS 10.5.4 work on this? or only the Kalyway 10.5.2? I suppose I could just as easily update the 10.5.2 to 10.5.4, but I have used the JaS stuff in the past, and it's worked well for me. Is there any reason that version wouldn't work?

I also have the Powercolor Radeon HD 2400 coming. I hope it works out, as it should be a huge upgrade over the GMA 950.

Thanks,

jrog

I havent had no issues using Kalyway 10.5.2 then updated mine to 10.5.4 even with the GMA 950 screen resolution and edited the kext to get maximum screen resolution 1920x1080 i had no ghosting i was suprised and was very pleased. I have also used IATKOS V4i everything works perfect for me as i dont usually let my pc or macs sleep so i have never had a issues with waking up or any issues as such including shut down. Sounds works great and video again with the GMA950 at start worked great but uanble to chage resolution with out modifing the kext. I have upgraded the video to a low cost Nvidia 6200 pci with DVI and a adapter to HDMI and works flawsless on my 46" samsung. I have bought another K45 and i have pictures and will post them with all of the specs and details of it. This PC is defintly a diamond in the rough and its well worth the low cost ticket that you can get it for. Where else can you get a Hackintosh for under 300 bucks...

You should be fine with the Radeon HD2400 as i think both of these have the driver for this and it should work OOB. I have yet to use any of the JAS releases "YET" but i have my eye on trying it. Good luck if you need help drop a note...

hook us up with some pics?

Sorry for the delay here is my silver bullet. I am not done yet as i still plan on adding a glowing Apple logo on the front. Anyways here it is

post-198350-1218556466_thumb.jpg

The Silver Bullet IAtkos V4i

Rustoleum Semi Matalic Silver Spray Paint and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Coat

Intel E2200 2.2 GHZ using the stock Intel Retail Fan

2 GHZ PC 6400 Ram 800 FSB

256 Nvidia Geforce 6200 PCI w/DVI and Svideo Out (using DVI to HDMI Connector to connect to Samsung 46")

Gear Head USB 1.3 MegaPixel WebCam (sound and Mic working perfect excellent video works with ichat, IMovie etc worked OOB no drivers needed)

Antec 3 Speed adjustible intake/Exhaust Fan

3 Port External THIN USB 2.0 for front of case

Pioneer Mini IDE k16Rs Dual Layer DVD Burner

500GB SATA Western Digital Hard Drive

Front Metal Plate made by Zigs Place and Painted (Thanks Zig!)

IDE to Mini IDE Adatapter Ebay (also have bought a newer and better one from Zigsplace) will use on next K45 thats is in the works.

Netgear USB Wireless G Adapter WG111 V2

post-198350-1218556561_thumb.jpg

Silver Bullet with the Gear Head Webcam up top USB Connection

post-198350-1218556576_thumb.jpg

Front USB Ports connected to one of the 4 internal usb connections

post-198350-1218556584_thumb.jpg

post-198350-1218556597_thumb.jpg

post-198350-1218556606_thumb.jpg

Nvidia Gefore 6200 PCI Video Card

post-198350-1218556613_thumb.jpg

Retail Intel Fan came with E2200 CPU

post-198350-1218556623_thumb.jpg

Antec Adjustible Speed Intake/Exhaust Fan

post-198350-1218556633_thumb.jpg

Inside of the K45 looking at the Modified External Front USB ports Fits Snug and just barley touches ram Metal Heat Shield Connector is insulated with Premium Electrical tape lol

Next Version will have side connection to the USB so this wont be a issue. (No the ram is not being pushed back the picture makes it look like that)

post-198350-1218556640_thumb.jpg

Pioneer Dual Layer DVD Burner

post-198350-1218556648_thumb.jpg

IDE to Mini IDE adaptor

post-198350-1218556656_thumb.jpg

Connection to the Modified Front USB Controller (yes i know a smaller cable would look better lol)

Ideas for next K45 being currently worked on possible Front LCD Screen built into the front of case (preferably a touch screen) with a HD TV Card, Bigger Power Supply, Replace case with a Custom Made See Through PlexiGlass the list goes on and on...

Thanks for the posts and comments !!

I havent had no issues using Kalyway 10.5.2 then updated mine to 10.5.4

Thanks for the info. I'm downloading ISOs while I wait for my box to arrive. What's the procedure that yields the best results when upgrading? I see there is a kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, but no update to 10.5.4 specifically. Also, are their any settings I should be sure to check and not check when doing the install? or just standard from the disc? Also, I'm not familiar with the different kernel types, any recommendations on that for the K45?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm downloading ISOs while I wait for my box to arrive. What's the procedure that yields the best results when upgrading? I see there is a kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, but no update to 10.5.4 specifically. Also, are their any settings I should be sure to check and not check when doing the install? or just standard from the disc? Also, I'm not familiar with the different kernel types, any recommendations on that for the K45?

Thanks

I noticed that you mentioned that you are getting a ATI HD Vid Card. So i wouldn't worry about anything at all on the installation. If anything i would say the video but you got a good video card coming. I think all i chose was the default kernal and the extra applications that Kaly was nice to include in the 10.5.2 version. OSX saw the rest. I did however move to the IAtkos Vi version 10.5.4 as it was already installed onto the installation disk and may it easier for me instead of doing 2 updates and trying to find them in a download somewhere and hopeing that i wouldnt get any kernel panics. But on that note the updates did work without a hitch. But, I decided to stick with the Iatkos Vi again becasue it already had 10.5.4 embeded on the instalation it was a breeze and was able to install ilife08, CS3 in no time. The second i am building i will try the JAS and hopefully Kaly will have the 10.5.4 release all together and will try that then. Feel free to drop a line or message me with any questions. Good Luck and look forward to seeing some pics if you are to supe it up a little..

• 2 weeks later...

Ordering my K45 this afternoon after reading all this great info! I was wondering if I would be able to use an Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive connected to a USB port to install OS X. I figure that it should function alright as an external CD/DVD reader once OS X is installed, but does anyone forsee any issues in using it to install the OS? I'm not concerned about HD-DVD functionality, just whether or not it will work as an external CD/DVD. Thanks!

I have experiences with both iAtkos v4i and JaS 10.5.4 on a K45, and they haven't really been great.

iAtkos v4i

The distro installs fine in a GPT partition structure. The Intel GMA950 works out of the box, you won't have to check the driver during installation, this isn't needed. Audio also works great, I think using the Azalia driver. The inputs aren't working though. You'll have to use Taruga's HDApatcher for that.

The system still had some big problems though. The Marvel 80E8056 only starts working after manually editing a kext. Some files, like the default Leopard wallpaper are missing, and so are the languages. And the system can't reboot or sleep. Shutdown is working fine though.

I installed it with the Vanilla kernel and kexts. But I wanted to look a little further... Since others got all of this working fine.

I used iATKOS v4i on my k48, but I seem to be stuck with the default 1024x768 resolution. It has the same Intel GMA950 as the k45. Any idea how I can get my 1680x1050?

Hi guys,

the Shuttle K48 is now available and based on the same motherboard like the K45. Additional is has DVI and a slot for a CDROM/DVD.

With a E7200 and Kalyway 10.5.2 it works out of the box without graphic fragments.

Bye