MS Publisher 2003 Web Page mess

~pcwiz

16 posts in this topic

OK, so I needed a quick web page to display my specs. I didn't have any WYSIWYG editors installed and I was too lazy to hand code it for such a quick thing so I used whatever I had, which in this case was MS Publisher 2003 (I had Office 2003 Pro installed). Here was the actual contents of the web page:

~pcwiz's Computer Specifications Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz with stock Intel cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev. 2.0

Video Card: XFX GeForce 7900GS XT 256MB DDR3 PCIe

Memory: 2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Rev. 2 DDR2 800

Hard Drive: 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-212D SATA 18x DVD-RW

Sound: Onboard Intel High Definition Audio (ALC889A)

Ethernet: Onboard Realtek RTL8111B

Speakers: Logitech X240 2.1 Channel

Mouse: Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 USBZ

Keyboard: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 PS/2

Monitor: Samsung 931BW

OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 + Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 (EFI + netkas kernel)

For a guide on how to get Mac OSx86 10.5.2 with EFI working on this board plus the drivers installer go here.

...and here is the code for that simple little plain page (LONG QUOTE WARNING!!!):

xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

xmlns:dt="uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882"

xmlns:b="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:publisher"

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

~pcwiz's Computer Specs

class=shape>

~pcwiz's Computer Specifications

Processor:

style='font-family:Verdana;mso-default-font-family:Verdana;mso-ascii-font-family:

Verdana;mso-latin-font-family:Verdana;mso-greek-font-family:Verdana;

mso-cyrillic-font-family:Verdana;mso-armenian-font-family:Verdana;mso-hebrew-font-family:

Verdana;mso-thai-font-family:Verdana;mso-currency-font-family:Verdana;

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz with stock Intel cooler

Motherboard:

style='font-family:Verdana;mso-default-font-family:Verdana;mso-ascii-font-family:

mso-cyrillic-font-family:Verdana;mso-armenian-font-family:Verdana;mso-hebrew-font-family:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev. 2.0

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:

EN'>Video Card:

XFX GeForce 7900GS XT 256MB DDR3 PCIe

Memory:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Rev. 2 DDR2 800

Hard Drive:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16

Optical Drive:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Pioneer DVR-212D SATA 18x DVD-RW

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:

EN'>Sound:

Onboard Intel High Definition Audio (ALC889A)

Ethernet:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Onboard Realtek RTL8111B

Speakers:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Logitech X240 2.1 Channel

Mouse:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 USB

Keyboard:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 PS/2

Monitor:

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Samsung 931BW

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 + Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 (EFI + netkas kernel)

For a guide on how to get Mac OSx86 10.5.2 with EFI working on this board plus the drivers installer go

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>

href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90795">here

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN;mso-ansi-language:EN'>.

mso-latinext-font-family:Verdana;language:EN'>

That much code for one lousy little page. Wow...I will hand code next time for sure.

EDIT: For those who don't know what actual clean HTML should look like, here is a quick code that I did (in Notepad :)) that achieves the exact same result as that behemoth of a source code above:

~pcwiz's Computer Specs

~pcwiz’s Computer Specifications

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz with stock Intel cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev. 2.0

Video Card: XFX GeForce 7900GS XT 256MB DDR3 PCIe

Memory: 2GB OCZ Platinum XTC Rev. 2 DDR2 800

Hard Drive: 250GB Western Digital Caviar SE16

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-212D SATA 18x DVD-RW

Sound: Onboard Intel High Definition Audio (ALC889A)

Ethernet: Onboard Realtek RTL8111B

Speakers: Logitech X240 2.1 Channel

Mouse: Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 USB

Keyboard: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 PS/2

Monitor: Samsung 931BW 19" Widescreen

Case + PSU: Antec Sonata III w/ Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU

OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 + Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2 (EFI + netkas kernel)

For a guide on how to get Mac OSx86 10.5.2 with EFI working on this board plus the drivers installer go here.

A million times shorter and cleaner. Plus there is a size difference of like 30,000 bytes between the horrible Publisher example and my little code.

OK, so I needed a quick web page to display my specs. I didn't have any WYSIWYG editors installed and I was too lazy to hand code it for such a quick thing so I used whatever I had, which in this case was MS Publisher 2003 (I had Office 2003 Pro installed). Here was the actual contents of the web page:

...and here is the code for that simple little plain page (LONG QUOTE WARNING!!!):

That much code for one lousy little page. Wow...I will hand code next time for sure.

Yeah, I made the same discovery when I tested out MS Office's app on how to make somw simple webpages. Even old frontpage had cleaner and lesser code than this.

If you want to use ms'apps on even simple static webpages you have to consider dedicated hosting!

Holy sh*t. :)

Most of that seems to be completely needless repetition of the same font-family {censored}... couldn't Publisher do that with CSS or something?

Meh, try Dreamweaver if you hate typing. I've had a decent experience with it. Otherwise, hand-coding FTW.

Now you wonder why Windows is what it is. I cant imagine what VB and VC++ must be doing when compiling.

Dreamweaver is really good.

Plus it can cleanup MS Frontpage code.

Now you wonder why Windows is what it is. I cant imagine what VB and VC++ must be doing when compiling.

Dreamweaver is really good.

Plus it can cleanup MS Frontpage code.

I wouldn't use anything else but DreamWeaver!!!!!!!

Yeah I eventually did end up hand coding it <_ yeah dreamweaver rocks used version and it was excellent. ms frontpage imho also did a pretty good job with clean code than for the meta tags is stuck on pages made src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:">)

Coda Hand coding :)

What a mess by Publisher. Someone should implement CSS :). Or is that too 1337 for Microsoft.

Offtopic: 500 posts :)

I took the Liberty of checking it against a Validator: I chose HTML 4 Transitional as the DOCTYPE

This is what I got: Failed validation, 31 Errors

XHTML Validation got even worse results -_-

At least it wasn't Word...

What does that mean? Word is a word processor, not a web editor and it doesn't even use tags like that :( Looking at the Laughs forum index though hanzoh, I see you've replied to half the posts in the Laughs forum...

What does that mean? Word is a word processor, not a web editor and it doesn't even use tags like that :angel:

Neither is Publisher. Either way, Word can still export your documents to an HTML page and also open them up for editing, if I'm not mistaken. It's been like this since Word 98.

That said, Of course Office products other than Frontpage are going to produce absolutely horrid HTML. It puts in so much because it wants the document to look exactly the same as it does in your editing window. I'm not all that surprised that Publisher produced such results.