WLAN working in 10.4.8 but not 10.5.2

mazuho

3 posts in this topic

Hey!

I'm having problems with my integrated wifi device on my HP 6189 laptop.

The wifi worked fine with Jas 10.4.8 release, but since I upgraded to 10.5.2 using Kalyways release, the wifi hasn't been working. I tried editing the info.plist from the old IO80211Family.kext on the Jas dvd, but never managed to find the file (I'm a total mac n00b so I don't know how to browse packages).

I tried installing the old kext and overwriting the one supplied with the kalyway release, but the os wouldn't take it. I have tried adding what I think is the right device id (I scavenged the internet for any info on my computer) to info.plist but to no avail. Since I know it worked with 10.4.8, the information in the info.plist contained in that package would be gold.

Could anyone either post the device id's included in that file? Or maybe a suggestion as to what to try next? Thanks for reading!

Ok, an update.

I found the device ID, reinstalled vista and it turned out the dev id was 4312. This dev id was already included in all the kexts I've been seeing. I tried deleting all the other entries and following this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=8522

At first reboot I got the "baseball diamond field" and when I thereafter changed the systemprefs file I got the same result as before; It detects the device, but I find no wireless networks.

I tried connecting with the ethernet port, and after defining the IP I got a green light on it, but it still wouldn't connect to internet :(

I am thinking that my wireless card works natively, but that the installation somehow messes with it, seeing that it worked in JaS 10.4.8 flawlessly. When I copied the kext used on JaS's dvd I would get an error message stating that the kext didn't work properly. Is there a compatibility issue with kext between 10.4.8 and 10.5.2?

I'm running out of ideas! It's really bugging me out that it worked on the JaS release (and on that one, the SATA drive wasn't found), and I really want 10.5.2.

Any suggestions?