Forums slow the last few days

39 posts in this topic

@pcwiz: AJAX is used in the Quick Editor :(. Also used in the My Assistant and a few other things.

I would think that the problem is to do with the Ads. Since the rest of the Page loads as normal. Anyway this is being resolved ASAP so should be fast again real soon

I would think that the problem is to do with the Ads.

That would be why I've never noticed a problem with loading speeds then. :( Was getting a lot of DB errors a couple of months back, but that seems to have been cleared up now.

@Erbic: Those are to keep the whole server from overloading. We have over 2500 users on especially in the evenings and I am sure the server will struggle if all of you click and request or post something all at once. The message only lasts around a few mins and only occurs when there is a huge surge of users on.

I still have problems about 50% of the time. Almost half the time when I click on something I have to press Esc and click on it again to get it to load.

Whenever I respond to a post and press "Add Reply", I never get a completion. It just stays "loading..." forever (I learned not to keep pressing it :P ). If I open a new tab in my browser and navigate to the topic, I can see my response in the thread. Meanwhile, the first tab is still loading, as if the response is still pending. The back end is doing what it should for the forum software but pumping the responses back out (HTTP 200 OK or whatever) is still causing problems, at least for me.

It's useable but it's still not right (as I get ready to hit the dreaded "Add Reply" button...).

EDIT: As expected, the original tab where I submitted the above response... it's still "loading...". At the bottom (Firefox on XP) it says "Waiting for forum.insanelymac.com..." in the status bar. The cursor is the hand with the hourglass and the little spinny thing is spinning away in the upper-right-hand corner of the window, waiting for the server to respond. When I opened this tab to make this edit, I had to enter "http://forums.insanelymac.com" and press enter 5 times before it connected. Definitely still not right.