"Hardware" info missing?

Jahbz

37 posts in this topic

Hello folks..

I found only one post on this topic before on no answers really, so here i try again...:)

Im running 10.4.4, wich is operating very well!!

the only problem now is that i dont get any info about the system in System profiler.

The individual taps shows their info but the Generel " Hardware" tap says:

"There was an error while gathering this information."

It works fine in my 10.4.3 system.

Did anyone experience this or found the solution to it?

Must be some kext from my 10.4.3 system i could copy for my 10.4.4. to get it to work.??

..and did some of the few running 10.4.5 experience this?

Thanx a bunch!!!

:idea:

i tried Takuro´s advice... and it kind of helped...

But as he alsa says it does not show the correct model. His case he got a powermac

and in my case my centrino shows as a Powerbook!

Though in "about this mac" it shows as a "Centrino 1.7..."

in 10.4.3 it show correctly as a Dev. machine. Intel centrino 1.7 ...etc..

I attached some pics for full coverage of the prob..

I know this is not a major prob, since everything works great whitout the info.. just a small

irritating thing...

Is there a file containing a database of model for OSX to choose from??

Or should it detect it right from the hardware?

Thanx

post-5850-1140783125_thumb.png

post-5850-1140783157_thumb.png

post-5850-1140783518_thumb.png

post-5850-1140783597_thumb.png

post-5850-1140783668_thumb.png

post-5850-1140783806_thumb.png

okay... running System Profiler under Rosetta DOES enable the Hardware Overview. ( I now have a Powermac!).... but it breaks some other things like Memory - 2 banks of 64 Bytes each! and Graphics now has the error - no information found.

So it's not really a fix, it's a pretty half-butted work around.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with EFI versus BIOS system. I'm going to attempt putting the System Profiler app from 10.4.3 into 10.4.5 and see if it works.

It's not EFI...

Like I said, 10.4.3's System Profiler only displayed "Apple Developement Platform" because it was a pre-release OS that wasn't intended to be installed on anything other than a DTK.

However, in 10.4.4 and 10.4.5, the System Profiler attempts to recognize what Intel machine you're running (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, etc) based on your system's hardware config. As of the release of 10.4.5, the System Profiler only has hardware profiles for the MacBook Pro and iMac. Normally it would select which Intel model it is based on hardware config, but most of us have very different setups than the MacBook Pro or iMac, thus the profiler gets confused and returns an error.

Obviously it wouldn't detect your machine as a MacBook or Mac Mini because the exact hardware specifications weren't finalized when 10.4.5 was released.

However, running the System Profiler through Rosetta makes it go through a more complete list of PowerPC machine models (since there are more known PowerPC machine hardware configs than unknown future Intel hardware configs.) Thus, it will choose which PowerPC machine your hardware config is closest to.

Does it make sense now? :)

Aside from that, what amazes me more than anything is that our machines are given unique serial #s. This is pretty awesome. Mine is 3016303.

A word of warning!!! : If you choose to run System Profiler under Rosetta, MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK THE ROSETTA OPTION BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN! It will result in incorrect detection of your hardware upon boot-up, resulting in device IDs and vendor IDs becoming mixed up and certain kexts failing to load due to incorrect matches.

thanx much Takuro, i understand now. i had thought it was a bug that might indicate more severe problems later on, but that doesn't seem so.

Would it be possible to edit some file inside the profiler package and insert our actual hardware profile?

i've got this in 10.4.5 too.

I noticed in 10.4.5 there is a new kext, called:

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

well, if I boot in -v mode, i get an error in this kext, something like

"IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Plugins/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext failed to load" and something about exceptions.

now, if you look in that ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext, there are lots of stuff about dual-cores and throttle arrays and suchlike.

(there are also other kexts inside IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, like PowerMac7, PowerMac8, Rackmac3 etc)

so I get the impression, that when our 10.4.5 loads up, it tries to load the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. But that "profile" is for the dual-core Mac, so it doesn't load correctly. And since that doesn't load correctly, OSX can't display the "profile" in System Profiler. AND it gives us the wrong CPU, eg I had Pentium 4 2.7 in 10_4_4, but in 10_4_5 I've got Pentium IV 3.6, which is obviously wrong.

We either need to hack to hack this ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin to match our machines, or find a way to leave it out completely.

ok, I removed the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext, killed the kextcache and rebooted. System info is still wrong, but at least I don't get the IOPlatformPluginFamily error on startup anymore :) (I think this kext is used by the new dual-core Kernel, and since us Maxxuss-ites are still using the 10_4_4 kernel, we don't need it)

If the processor is off by a few tenths of a Ghz, I wouldn't be extremely worried. Mine went from 2.99Ghz to 3Ghz. As long as every other piece of hardware (such as graphics, networking, disc drives) is properly detected, you're fine. The fact that the main page of the profiler can't give us a general overview of our system model is just a minor annoyance at worst.

I wouldn't recommend ripping out "unneeded" kexts from 10.4.5 simply because they return errors in -v. The general rule of saftey is: "if it doesn't harm the system, leave it just in case." If you aren't getting a kernel panic or anything, I'd leave it.

Using the 10.4.4 kernel is just a temporary solution. Maxxuss will either patch the 10.4.5 kernel to use power management correctly or he'll move on to 10.4.6 and patch that kernel. Using a 10.4.4 kernel on 10.4.6 would be pushing luck a bit...

As for modifying what hardware the System Profiler looks for to detect your hardware model, I wouldn't know how to do this. Frankly, if it bothers you that much, you're being a perfectionist. Nothing wrong with that though... I'm a neat freak too. But it's not a "life or death" situation.

Mee too, I thought that it have to do with AMD procs, but since I see this thread I also see some Intels too.

Takuro actually just posted that if you click it with Open with Rosetta you get the proper info for it :)
Not true, if you open with Rosetta it identifies your PC as PPC Mac or PowerMac, and I already posted that since 10.4.1