Installing Leopard with JMicron IDE Controller

lijamez

5 posts in this topic

I have the cursed combination of a JMicron controller + no SATA optical drive. Apparently there was a 10.4.8 patch that provided drivers but it doesn't seem to exist for Leopard. Everyone says that you should get a SATA-IDE converter or USB optical drive but I don't want to spend any extra money if possible. I do, however, have a mac and a USB hard drive. Is there any way that I can either install from the USB hard drive? Or how about install OSX86 from my mac to the USB hard drive, then move the installed partition onto my PC?

Here are the specs for my PC:

Motherboard: Asus P5B (w/ JMicron IDE Controller)

Hard Drive: 320GB SATA + 80GB SATA

Optical Drive: 1 DVD Burner IDE + 1 DVD Reader IDE

Unfortunately, the latest kernel release has broken JMicron support in OSX, at least for me. Using two different motherboards with different chipsets, the latest 9.2.2 update hard locks or panics on JMicron.kext load, no matter what the settings. As of right now, I don't have IDE support, nor does it look good in the future. The good news is that the JMicron SATA ports are recognized and work great without JMicron.kext, so long as the system is running AHCI.

Hi lijamez,

I don't think, that there is another way to install Leo without USB- or SATA-Drive.

The method via VMware works only with Tiger.

With the JMB patch for Tiger that you mean, the IDE-HD at the JMicron-Controller will be recognize but not the optical IDE-drives at the boot process. The same with the JMicronATA.kext after editing the Info.plist. I searched long time for a solution but didn't find it, certainly not for Leo.