About this Mac

eddie11c

178 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This still doesn't works for me.

Tried to manually edit strings, replaced loginwindow.app with one found on Kaly's 10.5.2 disc, made an sacrifice to core dump dog, no lucky. It just crash with a common error message (can't get it as I am at work right now, but this was discussed in the past and people suggested to use an Tiger loginwindow.app on 10.5 systems).

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

The About this Mac script. the one in this thread does not update the About This Mac info displayed.

About This Mac shows my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ as a 2.8 GHz Intel Duo Core

If I look at the file in /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings it shows my processor correctly.

But About this Mac won't.

post-277686-1231561205_thumb.png

How do i change this file? I dont have the rights to change it, can u give me a hint?

tnks

On mine, I just edit the /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/English.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings, and change : "UnknownCPUKind" = "Unknown" to "UnknownCPUKind"= "Intel Core 2 Duo" which is mine. With this About This Mac always shows the correct clock speed, because I overclock my 2.53GHz E7200 to 3.33GHz

How do i change this file? I dont have the rights to change it, can u give me a hint?

tnks

Open a terminal session. enter "sudo -s" and press Enter. Supply your password at the prompt. Then, use the "vi" editor to modify the file. You can type "vi " followed by the file name or you can type "vi " and then drab&drop the file into the terminal session and press enter.

If you don't know how to use "vi", and everyone using a Unix based system should know how, then use google to locate some on-line instructions. One such place is vim.org

Hope that gets you started.

Hey eddie11c,

Is this supposed to change the info in System Profiler as well? The reason I ask is because I have an Intel Q6600, and I cant for the life of me get a "Processor Name" field to show up. Your installer does fix About This Mac, and thanks for that, but I am still looking for a way to fix my problem. I have matched up my install to parallel another person's to figure out why Compressor keeps crashing on me (it shows "Compressor Transcoder: Not Responding" in the Activity Monitor) right after I open it, and the failed service stays after I close the program. I have retail installed with a 10.5.4 disc, tried every bootloader there is, all the SMBIOS options, vanilla and voodoo kernels, and various configurations of OSX updates matched with Quicktime and Final Cut Suite updates; and nothing seems to fix this.

The above System Profiler problem I am having doesn't happen for the other guy, and he's got the same processor. My train of thought in problem-solving has led me to believe that this is the culprit. I am in dire need of help from anyone that feels/ thinks they have an answer. Thanks again for the installer though, and here's hoping you might have a fix for this as well :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't work with my configuration, anyone can help me ??!! I use iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6

In system profiler CPU is ok but with wrong speed (2,2 GHz - stock, after oc - 2,86 GHz), wrong bus speed, system profiler show 194

post-250582-1237230026_thumb.png

post-250582-1237230037_thumb.png

Does not work for me, I first tried changing it with OSx86 tools but that messed it up and I can't fix it now, tried your tool and does nothing. This what I have now and I don't know how to fix it. My CPU is a C2D E7200 2.53GHz and I have 4G of RAM.

493321140_FnQJG-M.jpg

One way to fix it is by using the "OSx86 Tools Utility". Open OSx86 Tools Utility, click the "Modify This Mac" button and click on the "Restore Strings System Files to Defaults". Or you can try the restore CPU & Restore Memory options. Those should do it for you.

Does not work for me, I first tried changing it with OSx86 tools but that messed it up and I can't fix it now, tried your tool and does nothing. This what I have now and I don't know how to fix it. My CPU is a C2D E7200 2.53GHz and I have 4G of RAM.