9800 GTX working in OSX86

aqua-mac

522 posts in this topic

So just an update on the EVGA GTX+ fan issue. After reading a thread over on the EVGA forums, I found that this is a common issue for the 512-p3-n871-ar. If you have that problem, just email Nick @ nmijuskovic@evga.com, tell him you have 512-p3-n871-ar, and he will send you the Iso to reflash it. You have to set your bios to IDE mode, not AHCI mode.:blink:.

And just to be clear, this is only for the EVGA 512-p3-n871-ar. He will then give you some steps to make sure that your card is supposed to be flashed.

This helped me a lot and now my computer is noticeably quieter! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This Gigabyte graphics card simply refuses to work on my machine no matter what. :) I've tried several methods and all of them give me a Blank Screen after the OS loading is complete (when I do -v, the last message I see is about ACPI_SMC_Plugin (AppleIntelCPUPowerManaget) timed out (which is normal because of NullCPU kext).. this always, always happens!!

I've tried the following methods so far:

1) GraphicsEnabler = Y

2) PciRoot =1

3) EFI String

4) Natit.kext

5) NVEnabler.kext

And none of them works. :)

And when I plug in my old 7900GS, the OS loads up just fine!! With graphics, QE/CI and everything. I don't know why this 9800GTX+ simply refuses to work. :(

I really don't know what to do anymore. :(

Has anyone had any such experience with this model of a graphics card? Any good EFI strings or such? If you need any other info please let me know. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here, thanks!

The model of my Gigabyte is specifically this: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Pr...?ProductID=2918

• 3 weeks later...

9800gtx, cant get QE, or Resolution. Tried very guide i could find!, Help! Im stuck here...

I have a hackintosh with 2 drives.

I recently deleted the first drive, since it was only storage.

But that drive included the bootloader, so i was stuck.

I managed to get a new bootloader installed on my second drive (The one with Snow Leopard), and i can now boot again.

But the graphics driver doesnt seem to work. Everything else does. Sound, Wireless, Bluetooth etc.

So now i have tried every Geforce 9800gtx 512mb, guide i could find, and nothing works.

So far my system profiler says "Geforce 9800gtx+", but i can only select 1024x768, and there is no hardware accelleration.

I tried both EFI strings, both with OSX86tools, and EFIstudio, and some installers. Nothing worked.

I have 2 com.apple.boot.plist, files.

One in /Extra , and one in /Library/Preferences/

What should i do?

Is there a way to delete all the graphics drivers i tried to install so far, and start with the graphics from scratch again?

Im really stuck here :)

I hope there is a friendly soul out there who wants to help out..

/Fresch

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for posting in this thread but i´m not able to start a new topic.

Maybe this could be also for the 9800 GTx Card users intersting.

I´m running 10.6.3 without any problems on my GA-P35-DS3 with a ASUS 8800GTX 768Mb. I´ve installed the Arctic Cooling Accelero 8800 cooler on my Card (the fans are connected with the card) which works quite fine under Windows where i can adjust the fan speed.

My problem is that the card runs automatically the fans with at least 60% and this is very noisy. So i´m searching fpr a method to control the fans under SL.

I tried some Software for SL but it seems that my card isn´t supported (maybe no original apple hardware supports this card).

A Bios flash could be a last chance but before this i would try a software solution.

Does somebody know how i can solve this problem ?

sorry for my english

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought it signifigant news for anyone looking for an easy to install solution to a high end video card.

I picked up the EVGA 9800 GTX+ today. It does NOT work with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In order to install the base OS, I used an OS X disc and Kakewalk on a 45-UD3L mobo.

I then updated the OS to 10.6.3 and crossed my fingers that Apple's own updated graphics support files might do the trick. I powered down, plugged in the card, and it came right up! I've got full support right now for everything as far as I can tell/test for, and everything is really snappy. No DSDT editing, no funky kext updating. Enjoy!

Got my 9800 GTX 512 Working in OSX 86 Leopard only!

fixed1.jpeg

Download these Kexts:

WITH 10.5.3 THERE IS NO NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE KEXTS BELOW!

http://rapidshare.com/files/106584355/aquamac.zip.html

and this version of NVInject:

Click Here

You need to swap these kexts into your Extensions folder. You may need to delete the original kexts as opposed to just replacing first on some of them. You must then run this permissions repair script -See Below:

Let it run till finished, it takes a while.

Then Delete the Extensions.mkext and reboot.

You will regain your translucent menubar your drop down menus.

EDIT:

Dashboard now works correctly!

The card is currently using the 8600 GTS open GL Engine but this does not hurt performance. We will probably have to wait for 10.5.3 for that to be fixed.

gtxc.jpeg

post-584418-1271128031_thumb.jpg

wich enabler kext are you using?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought it signifigant news for anyone looking for an easy to install solution to a high end video card.

I picked up the EVGA 9800 GTX+ today. It does NOT work with 10.6 or 10.6.1. In order to install the base OS, I used an OS X disc and Kakewalk on a 45-UD3L mobo.

I then updated the OS to 10.6.3 and crossed my fingers that Apple's own updated graphics support files might do the trick. I powered down, plugged in the card, and it came right up! I've got full support right now for everything as far as I can tell/test for, and everything is really snappy. No DSDT editing, no funky kext updating. Enjoy!

You can use NVEnabler, ATY_Init or Chameleon 2.0's GraphicsEnabler. All three work with the 9800 GTX+ in Snow Leopard.

You still need to manually add your device ID to NVDAResman.kext for full support though.

Device ID of my 9800 GTX+ is 0612. If yours has a different ID you'll probably have to add it to NVDANV50Hal.kext as well.

I NEED TO USE DVI PORT

I used all known ways;

1. GFX String way on aquamac site seem {censored} cause you need leopard to write right gfx string to use on snow. Why do i need to install 2 operating systems to use this card.

2. Graphics Enabler works on only vga and and no qe/cl.

Then i use the DSDT fix in DSDT se and now on System profiler, everything seems ok, but i still cant use dvi port. I can open iMovie but nothing written about Quartz Extreme support on System Profiler..

When i try to see Quartz Extreme status on OsX86 Tools, i see an error like this:

”Can’t make "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.windowserver, QuartzGLEnabled) does not exist" into type boolean. (-1700)”

Theres 3 output on graphic card: VGA, DVI, HDMI..

I can only use VGA

My hardware: P5W DH Deluxe, E8200, Mushkin PC6400, ZOTAC ECO GTS 250 1024 MB

My Software: Snow Leopard 10.6.3 updated from 10.6 with original Kernel

Extra: fakesmc, DSDT, USBkext.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: PCIEX1_2

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0615

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3386a

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Hardware Info:

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0615] (rev a2)

Please help about DVI port. Anyone has an advice for me?

You can use NVEnabler, ATY_Init or Chameleon 2.0's GraphicsEnabler. All three work with the 9800 GTX+ in Snow Leopard.

You still need to manually add your device ID to NVDAResman.kext for full support though.

Device ID of my 9800 GTX+ is 0612. If yours has a different ID you'll probably have to add it to NVDANV50Hal.kext as well.

And apparently today is my day to look like a noob.

I was so happy that the video worked OTB with 10.6.3, along with CL/QE, that I didn't bother to test the second DVI. The second DVI is really there so I can run this to my TV later on. After your post, decided to try out the dual monitor feature. No go. blanked out both monitors and I had to reboot. I've tried NVEnabler, as well as patching just the card id for Resman, and then also for Resman and the supporting file you mentioned. No go. Took my card back to the stone age at 1024x768.

If you could, I'd be forever grateful if you could give me step by step instructions on how to activate the second DVI. Even more helpful if you could just pass along any patched files for the 9800 GTX+

Cheers

And apparently today is my day to look like a noob.

I was so happy that the video worked OTB with 10.6.3, along with CL/QE, that I didn't bother to test the second DVI. The second DVI is really there so I can run this to my TV later on. After your post, decided to try out the dual monitor feature. No go. blanked out both monitors and I had to reboot. I've tried NVEnabler, as well as patching just the card id for Resman, and then also for Resman and the supporting file you mentioned. No go. Took my card back to the stone age at 1024x768.

If you could, I'd be forever grateful if you could give me step by step instructions on how to activate the second DVI. Even more helpful if you could just pass along any patched files for the 9800 GTX+

Cheers

Maybe you've got a dif brand of the 9800 GTX+. EVGA site boards say the ID is 0613. When I plugged in 0612 it mucked things up.

In doing some research, it looks like the EVGA version is ID 0613. Here's how I proceeded...

Istalled NVEnabler 64 - tried it on it's own. No change.

With NV64 still in place, tried editing Resman and 50Hal. Here's what I did to Resman (and then similarly to 50Hal)...

Source:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de</string>

Changed to:

<string>0x0613de</string>

Reinstalled via Kext Helper. Rebuilt via Kext Utility. Ran Disk Utility after, just to be double sure.

Reboot. Kernal Panic upon logging in.

Please, what am I missing?

In doing some research, it looks like the EVGA version is ID 0613. Here's how I proceeded...

Istalled NVEnabler 64 - tried it on it's own. No change.

With NV64 still in place, tried editing Resman and 50Hal. Here's what I did to Resman (and then similarly to 50Hal)...

Source:

<string>0x011010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de</string>

Changed to:

<string>0x0613de</string>

Reinstalled via Kext Helper. Rebuilt via Kext Utility. Ran Disk Utility after, just to be double sure.

Reboot. Kernal Panic upon logging in.

Please, what am I missing?

you're missing the vendor (nvidia): 10de

I don't know what means &0xfff8ffff but I think is better to use it:

<string>0x061310de&0xfff8ffff</string>

On a personal note, I have tried this with a 9800gtx and haven't been able to make work CL/QE

I have a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard with dual GeForce 9800 GT video cards (512 MB, BFG brand.) The system is running Snow Leopard Server, installed via Kakewalk ( http://puru.se/ ) which sets up DSDT, etc.

Aside from Kakewalk and 10.6.3, I've installed VoodooHDA and a variant of Apple's PS2 kext. There's nothing else odd installed on the system. Everything works great, short of dual video cards. I'm running 10.6.3 Server, but server versus client should not affect the graphics.

I've tried two things without any luck - always a kernel panic when LoginWindow tries to load.

1) NVInject dual cards version. Tried several versions. No luck.

2) GFXStrings approach as described here, including changing around the default graphics card (PEG1 and PEG2) : http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569

Can somebody please point me in the right direction to further troubleshoot this issue? I'm a bit stuck...

After building my hackintosh a few years back I am now building one for a friend, after installing all the hardware and connecting up a display i turn the system on purely to see if i get signal from the card, when i hit the power button the gpu fan spins fast for a split secong then goes to what I would expect to be normal running speed, but from experience with my 9800gt the fan should spin fast during boot untill drivers are loaded, and yes I have connected the two 6-pin power leads...here are the specs

Asus P5P43TD Pro

Intel Q8400

600watt Atx Power supply

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX

I do not yet have any memory in as it is in the post, but Im pretty sure the system would still try to boot without this?

help would be great cheers!

I put the card in my working hackintosh it started fine and the fans did the same thing so no problem there, but still get no signal from card in new hackintosh, the card has a light which come on fine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get the 9800GTX+ working on Leopard 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 ?

I already have it working on Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on another hard drive, I have a separate 10.5.7 install on another hard drive... and I've tried ton's of stuff (EFIStudio, OSX86tools) for the 9800GTX+ and nothing has worked yet on leo for me.

EVGA 9800GTX+ 512mb

any help would be greatly appreciated

I always see in verbose mode:

Display: Specific family matching fails

• 5 months later...

Apologies if I'm resurrecting an old post but it seems to be the best info on this card I can find.

I have the Zotac 9800GTX+ 512Mb and wondered if I could get this running with QE and CI if possible.

I'm running with a stock install of iATKOS S3 v2 updated to 10.6.5.

My system specs are:

• Gigabyte X58 UD4P rev1.0 BIOS 14K Beta

• i7 920-C0
  • OCZ Gold Memory 6Gb Triple Channel
  • WD HDD 250Gb (Scorpio Blue)
  • nVidia Zotac 9800 GTX+ 512Mb
  • DVD-Writer Sony DRU-875s fw1.16
  • Monitor-1 LG L226W
  • Monitor-2 Dell P2210.

Info Profiler shows:

Chipset Model: nVidia Graphics Card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0613

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2

Displays:

DELL P2210:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Main Display: Yes

L226W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

There seems to be a lot of confusing info out there on what to use, I tried using NVinject but I think I didn't do it right because I got a Boot0: Error I got out of that one by booting the iATKOS DVD and messing around with the utilities. but if anyone can assist me I'd be grateful.

I have some kexts called NVDANV40Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext and NVSMU.kext. Are these the kexts that are used as graphics drivers for my iATKOS S3 v2 install?