10.5.2 problem list & FSB reporting incorrectly [SOLVED]

00diabolic

70 posts in this topic

I have a few strange issues in Leopard 10.5.2 with my laptop that I have been unable to fix with any hacked updates thus far. AppleSMbios, Powermgmt, kernal (netkas speedstep 9.2.0) all updated but still these problems.

They are the following:

1. Power management not detecting when on AC from battery using this powermgmt bundle. Problem fixed see my posts in powermgmt thread for details.

2. None of netkas's SMbios work for me. detects unknown core cpu and 100mhz bus instead of core 2 duo and 200mhz bus with vanilla smbios. Infact my bus is supposed to be 800 and I can not find an SMbios file to detect it like that. I tried SMbios files from here. . FIXED with superhai SMBIOS and AppleSystemInfo.strings to edit the cpu type.

3. Speedstep app does not always load on startup. Speedstep loading problem can be fixed here. Although that really did not work very well on my system. Fixed with cputhrottler kext being loaded every time. That was the KEY to it.

4. New USB problem since 10.5.2 install. Tried to correct by matching system.kext to kernal and seems to come and go. Never happened in 10.5.1. Lingon used to fixed this permanently.

5. Slow SATA performance when compared to 10.5.1. Found this thread. This was fixed with dune ICHx controller fix.

6. I have a rare sound codec ALC862. Driver found here. Shutdown problems and some of the sound issues gone now because powermgmt bundle being fixed. Still no vol control. Taruga working on this.

7. One issue remains related to fans not turning on during a cold boot. I am working on this issue here. I believe this is related to ACPI or SMC somehow. If you know how to fix this please post here or in the topic listed above.

My install was done this way: bootefi.sh script run EFI MBR setup for dual boot with vista--> IAtkos 1.0i r3 10.5.1 --> Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update --> Netkas speedstep 9.2.0 kernal --> powermgmt 10.5.2 --> ALC862 sound and then repair permissions and reboot.

System info in sig.

THANKS FOR READING.. HOPE YOU CAN HELP or get HELP FROM THIS

2. Power management not detecting when on AC from battery using this powermgmt bundle. After initial install once I unplug the AC and go to battery. Even though its charging and the indicator is showing the percentage going up it still thinks its on battery.

I also have an idea about this one. In 10.5.1 the same issue occurs however with no powermgmt (IE no battery icon) I can use time machine because the system thinks it on AC as opposed to it always thinking its on battery like it does now with powermgmt. There has to be a kext out there that can be edited to solve this problem?

CAN anyone help. PLEASE

Front side bus FIX.. YES.. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A BOOST. I TRIED IT AND BAM.. BETTER SCORES IN GEEKBENCH. YES YES YES YES

OSX Kernel FSB boot option

The default value for FSB is 200 Mhz or can shows 100mhz with hacked SMBIOS from netkas or mac.nub

So you should check your motherboard spec for true FSB Speed based on CPU multiplier. Using the wrong one can make things worse.

I was booting with 100 Mhz but in fact needed 133 Mhz. (1.8ghz C2D on 965E is 533 Mhz).

Thus my clock was too slow, and speed was impacted.

Lets say your motherboard support 533 and 800 Mhz FSB, but your processor is 533 Mhz.

Then you should set FSB at boot to 533/4 = 133s Mhz. 4x is my multiplier. Your system might have a higher one.

It is very IMPORTANT that you set the correct FSB speed.

Now you can specify the frequency of the FSB as a boot option.

If using a hacked kernal (ToH, netkas etc, I have not tried this with vanilla kernal but might work there also)

fsb=<mhz>

Most of the hacked kernels include the possibility at boot to chosen FSB frequency. Do testing with the below values to see. The default value is 200Mhz. If you want different value, you have 3 possibilities.

For 100 Mhz: use the -g boot option flag

For 133 Mhz: use the -y boot option flag

For 166 Mhz: use the -z boot option flag

Tips:

Once you know your FSB, you can put it as default value for your boot args. Just edit: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

You should set this if using netkas kernel's to say 133 Mhz FSB:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-y</string>

Why do you divide by 4?

My CPU has FSB of 1333. Divide by 4 = 333, and that's not even an option given by -g -y -z.

I can confirm the fsb= and -g -y -z to NOT have any effect with a vanilla kernel.

Right now system profiler says 100 mhz. With a vanilla applesmbios it fails to give any information.

Right now I'm pondering compiling mac.nub's applesmbios from source and hard coding the bus speed. As far as I can tell it should be 333, but someone could correct me if this is wrong.

Why do you divide by 4?

My CPU has FSB of 1333. Divide by 4 = 333, and that's not even an option given by -g -y -z.

I can confirm the fsb= and -g -y -z to NOT have any effect with a vanilla kernel.

Right now system profiler says 100 mhz. With a vanilla applesmbios it fails to give any information.

Right now I'm pondering compiling mac.nub's applesmbios from source and hard coding the bus speed. As far as I can tell it should be 333, but someone could correct me if this is wrong.

The divide by 4 was just an example. My example. I will correct above.

That would be a great idea, no one has bothered to hard code the FSB and it should be done. I'd do it myself if I had a clue how.

Your FSB of 1333 mhz is what you should see if your FSB is reported correctly in about this mac, however it still might be correct even if you see 100 or 200 mhz.

Here is the issue you might be facing as this is what happened to me. About this mac shows 100 or 200 mhz and has determined your system should only be using a 100mhz frequency for whatever reason. I was getting a FSB that was multiplied by 100mhz as opposed to one multiplied by 133mhz. The CPU gave the multiplier 4 x 133 = 532fsb instead I was getting 4 x 100 mhz = 400mhz. So there is a huge performance loss all because the system used the wrong frequency. In geekbench the difference was about 400 points.

You also use a 133mhz frequency. Your multiplier is times ten though. So 133 x 10 = 1330mhz

So you can use the -y flag also to get you your full speed, however about this mac WILL NOT CHANGE. Mine still shows 100mhz there but under the hood I'm getting my 533fsb. You can also hardcode the SMBIOS file to correct the problem both in about this mac and the actual. If you do do that then use one of netkas's SMBios files. This one to be exact.. Its from Netkas.org his newest. He adds a lot more to his SMBIOS files for hacks and has been doing them a lot longer.

If you do end up doing that can you hardcode one for 533fsb and PM it to me? Let me know.

I'm using the vanilla kernel, I don't think it recognized the -y option, cause the benchmarks I ran were equal if not a little worse than without it.

If I understand you correctly, a patched kernel accepts the -g -y -z options, allowing you to set it manually?

But the applesmbios also plays a part in setting the FSB? So with a special applesmbios I could keep the vanilla kernel and the applesmbios would set it up correctly?

Or... heres my guess, is the applesmbios just for displaying information to the profiler and other apps and it doesn't actually change the way the system operates. In other words, it will display the fsb correctly but wont actually be running at it. In that case I may need a hacked kernel to accept -y.

BTW.. I'm willing to try hacking the applesmbios source to hardcode the fsb. I looked at the diff file and it looks like a 1 line change. But then ive got to download the original applesmbios source from apple, which means getting an apple open source account, and also downloading the kernel source for the headers it provides. So you can see why I want to know if it should work before attempting.

BTW No. 2: I don't think netkas released the source for his applesmbios.

At first it looked like your logging applesmbios didnt do any logging. Then i noticed that the dmesg output got the beginning cut off. So i booted with -v and some info mentioning applesmbios flew by. Its too bad that NVinject only hogs a couple hundred lines of it..

yea i cant give you the info its supposed to give.

I'm using the vanilla kernel, I don't think it recognized the -y option, cause the benchmarks I ran were equal if not a little worse than without it.

If I understand you correctly, a patched kernel accepts the -g -y -z options, allowing you to set it manually?

But the applesmbios also plays a part in setting the FSB? So with a special applesmbios I could keep the vanilla kernel and the applesmbios would set it up correctly?

Or... heres my guess, is the applesmbios just for displaying information to the profiler and other apps and it doesn't actually change the way the system operates. In other words, it will display the fsb correctly but wont actually be running at it. In that case I may need a hacked kernel to accept -y.

BTW.. I'm willing to try hacking the applesmbios source to hardcode the fsb. I looked at the diff file and it looks like a 1 line change. But then ive got to download the original applesmbios source from apple, which means getting an apple open source account, and also downloading the kernel source for the headers it provides. So you can see why I want to know if it should work before attempting.

BTW No. 2: I don't think netkas released the source for his applesmbios.

Sorry took me a while to get back to this.

I guess only the hacked kernels allow for some of these flags to be used. Must be something that netkas and others add that allow for these.

As far as I know what SMBIOS does read from the system like device manager in windows. However if it can not read it gives a default setting for that category. Like it does with FSB, ram and CPU speed on some systems. If a hacked kernel is in place it can set the FSB and ignore what SMBIOS has which is what happens on my system with FSB currently. However my system was only set to 400 mhz because it knew the multiplier but it does not know the bus number it should be either 100, 133, 166. So the -y flag fixes that.

Hope that helps. A hacked SMBIOS with a fixed FSB would help a lot and I would like to get one with the FSB set to 533.

I found several people running xeon 8-core using Tyan running vanilla kernel, reported 100MHz FSB, Memory speed reported correctly at 667MHz

exact same problem I have, 100MHz reported on Tyan S2696, I also tested so many different AppleSMBIOS.kext to try to get FSB other than 100MHz but no luck, and -g -y -z doesn't work for me at all. ran all benchmarks seem at correct speed, even can run FCP without issue.

the kernel reported 100MHz by

SYSCTL hw.busfrequency

hw.busfrequency: 100000000 (my 8-core)

hw.busfrequency: 664000000 (my apple macbook, reported 667MHz bus speed system profiler)

I am also wonder this is NOT from AppleSMBIOS.kext, could this be set by EFI v8?!!

here is another story for reported-FSB doesn't affect speed, have a machine running E8500 3.16GHz vanilla kernel, reported FSB 0MHz under system profiler. reported 5.3GHz (not a typo) by SYSCTL hw.busfrequency. benchmark all run fine, only problem is slow clock (slow every 5 minutes per hour).

tested with several AppleSMBIOS.kext, doesnt change anything at all! one thing is interesting, Memory speed is correct at 667MHz!

@kilven, I see you are running 54xx CPU, according cache size is 12MB on your posted .txt can "About This Mac" correct listed your CPU? or just 2x 2.0GHz unknown?

I found several people running xeon 8-core using Tyan running vanilla kernel, reported 100MHz FSB, Memory speed reported correctly at 667MHz

exact same problem I have, 100MHz reported on Tyan S2696, I also tested so many different AppleSMBIOS.kext to try to get FSB other than 100MHz but no luck, and -g -y -z doesn't work for me at all. ran all benchmarks seem at correct speed, even can run FCP without issue.

the kernel reported 100MHz by

SYSCTL hw.busfrequency

hw.busfrequency: 100000000 (my 8-core)

hw.busfrequency: 664000000 (my apple macbook, reported 667MHz bus speed system profiler)

I am also wonder this is NOT from AppleSMBIOS.kext, could this be set by EFI v8?!!

here is another story for reported-FSB doesn't affect speed, have a machine running E8500 3.16GHz vanilla kernel, reported FSB 0MHz under system profiler. reported 5.3GHz (not a typo) by SYSCTL hw.busfrequency. benchmark all run fine, only problem is slow clock (slow every 5 minutes per hour).

tested with several AppleSMBIOS.kext, doesnt change anything at all! one thing is interesting, Memory speed is correct at 667MHz!

@kilven, I see you are running 54xx CPU, according cache size is 12MB on your posted .txt can "About This Mac" correct listed your CPU? or just 2x 2.0GHz unknown?

What kernel are you using? The -y flag does not work on all kernels. Especially vanilla kernel. When i run SYSCTL hw.busfrequency I get 100000000 like you. But I see a huge improvement in geekbench when I run with -y flag then without. I am using netkas 9.2.0 SS kernel. Actually my results are almost exactly the same as in windows vista. OSX is a little better as it is a superior OS.

What kernel are you using? The -y flag does not work on all kernels. Especially vanilla kernel. When i run SYSCTL hw.busfrequency I get 100000000 like you. But I see a huge improvement in geekbench when I run with -y flag then without. I am using netkas 9.2.0 SS kernel.

vanilla kernel I am running.

and where can I find netkas SS kernel? so I can test it.

my geekbench is range from 6100 to 6450, with 3 runs.

and if someone can compile applesmbios, there is CPUID.H ; is there something we should look at? (I am not good at codes, just guessing) because CPU is reported as unknown, the source is not included other model of xeon CPUs inside?!

It says my CPU is 2 x 1.99 Ghz Unknown.

Also its a little strange how it reports i have 8 GB ram instead of 4. It shows all the ram slots filled, while only half of them are. It didn't always do that, I think it happened after i put on the 10.5.2 combo update, new vanilla kernel, system.kext.

So, does it or does it not? Does the AppleSMBIOS.kext actually change the FSB speed, or just what is displayed?

Also I just booted with -s and got the logging info.

AppleSMBIOS is crucial for timings.

--- SMBIOS Processor Information --
externalClock	 = 0x0

The above means that SMBIOS is not providing the FSB frequency to OS X. OS X uses a default one. What is your expected FSB?

Btw, if your dmesg output is cutoff, go into Applications->Utilities->Console and you should find it under one of the options.

Oh i'm having a hard time figuring out the correct fsb speed. The cpus are 2 ghz each. According to the motherboard the actual fsb speed is 1333 Mhz. But thats multiplied by a certain factor, 00Diabolic says its 10, for a base fsb speed of 133. If you pretend the multiplier is 8 instead, you get 166. Then there's the actual e5405's multiplier of 6.5. What is that supposed to mean, 308 Mhz?

yeah im really confused!

after reading an old post from an user that reports that he got his sound working properly after setting an apropriate fsb I was looking forward for threat like this!

so thank you for this thread!

this is the issue I'm hounting http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=368

booting with -g didn't work for me. -y and -z have with geekbench no significant difference in performance! (ss kernel 9.2.0)

with vanilla smbios I have an error gethering the info for hardware in "about this mac" and geekbench shows independently of "about this mac" info hackintosh and bus frequency 100 mhz.

I have a core duo 1.7 ghz and 533 mhz bus freq. toshiba satellite 100

a natit (maybe)guru in irc.hu stated shortly that my issue could come from smbios.

so now I think that smbios is responsible for reconizing things properly but you can also do cosmetics with it. (forgive me my noobish speculation if i may be wrong)

I wonder why mac.nub has hardcoded versions of smbios from 667mhz upwards!

greets and really hope this can be fixed soon!

___

edit: ups! i let the site open for too long and dindn't read the previous 6 posts :-D(could seem a bit óut of context)

AppleSMBIOS is crucial for timings.

--- SMBIOS Processor Information --
externalClock	 = 0x0

The above means that SMBIOS is not providing the FSB frequency to OS X. OS X uses a default one. What is your expected FSB?

Btw, if your dmesg output is cutoff, go into Applications->Utilities->Console and you should find it under one of the options.

Hey superhai

My SMBIOS says this using netkas newest SMBIOS:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: Hack.int.0sh

Serial Number: CK157KMHK5B

busfrequency shows:

hw.busfrequency: shows 100000000

Here is my CPU Z Info:

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 2 (max 2)

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7100

Codename Merom

Specification Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz

Package Socket P (478) (platform ID = 7h)

CPUID 6.F.D

Extended CPUID 6.F

Core Stepping M0

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 1197.0 MHz (6.0 x 199.5 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz

Stock frequency 1800 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

FID range 6.0x - 9.0x

max VID 1.288 V

Features , VT

& my bus speed is 800mhz and not 533mhz.

I really need a custom SMBIOS file with a locked FSB as I guess I'm still lower then I need to be.

Ok, this should be hardcoded to 800MHz if it doesn't receive a FSB from SMBIOS.: (try it at own risk)

THANKS SO MUCH..

I got some feedback for ya. Very interesting results.

Now I get this in about this mac.

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Speed: 4.10 GHz <---- ?WHAT?

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.68E

So I got my 800mhz FSB but at the expense of the CPU showing at 4.1ghz. HAHA..

But its not true which is good. I ran sysctl to see what the cpu was running at and its still normal running at between 800 & 1800 like it should be. I'm not sure what if any ill effects this will have now. the system seems to be fine with it. Anyway can the CPU be corrected without locking it? If not at least I got the right 800mhz FSB like I should have. What smbios did you use as a base for this? Was it one of netkas's with all of his other fixes?

sysctl -a | grep freq

kern.exec: unknown type returned

hw.busfrequency = 800000000

hw.cpufrequency = 1800000000

hw.tbfrequency = 1000000000

kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 800

kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1200 1800 1801

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.cpufrequency_max: 4096000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 4096000000

hw.cpufrequency: 1800000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 800000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 800000000

hw.busfrequency: 800000000

So I got my 800mhz FSB but at the expense of the CPU showing at 4.1ghz. HAHA..
Ok, that is an easy fix. I use my own smbios, which have the fixes from macdotnub and some more I made for my laptop (thats why you get that cpu freq). I don't know what fixes netkas made he hasn't released his sources, tell me if anything is not working.Ok here is a new one with hopefully more sane GHz for your cpu. AppleSMBIOS.kext.zipAnd one for FSB of 1333. AppleSMBIOS.kext.zipTell me how they work. Does it gives any better speed in use as well?If they work I will add an option to set the FSB without hardcodiing in the kext.