The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Undefined and I have been working on a tutorial for the Asus laptops, mainly F3 series, and a couple of others. If it works for you, please leave us a much-appreciated comment! If not, let us know on this thread so we can try to help out. Without further ado, here it is!!

Introduction

Hi everyone, this tutorial is a followup to the Tiger installation tutorial, since most of us have moved on to using Leopard. Just to clear up any confusions, an existing Tiger installation is not necessary.

All those helpful installation photos are colored green.

Disclaimer: Please note that this tutorial is for educational purposes ONLY, and we do not endorse illegal activity such as breaking the Apple EULA (if it is valid in your country) by installing their software on non-Apple hardware, or downloading illegal pirated software from torrent sites. If you plan on doing any of these things, please stop reading now. :robot:

This method has been known to work on the following laptops:

- All of Asus F3 Series

- Asus W7S

- Asus G series (confirmation needed)

Checklist

1. Kalyway's 10.5.1 Installation DVD (update: Kalyway's 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 have been reported to work as well :blink: )

2. Windows Vista install DVD (or recovery DVD just for installation)/Windows XP install CD, depending on what you use. It's always good to have both handy :P

3. Some basic computer skills... or instruction-following skills -_-

4. Patience

Preparation

First you need to do some space on HD for OS X partition. You need at least 6GB of free space to install OS X, but give it a bit more (Apple recommends 9GB+, more if you plan on installing software lol).

Note: playing around with partitions may result in loss of data. Neither I nor anyone else on this forum will not be held responsible if you lose information on your computer. Back everything up!

In Windows: Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Delete a partition, shrink your partitions, whatever! Do a new PRIMARY NTFS formatted partition.*

* NTFS partitions might not be able to be formatted by some OS X DVDs (Kalyway's 10.5.1 works), so if OS X doesn't let you format the drive later, try formatting your partition to FAT32. If the Disk Management method doesn't let you allocate enough space (sometimes the page file is placed near the end of the HD and Windows will only let you allocate ~2GB), then download GParted, burn it on a CD, boot from it, and make your partition from there.

Then run diskpart (Start > Run > Diskpart.exe) and type:

list disk
select disk # [select the HD your new partition is on (usually disk 0)]
list partition
select partition # (select the partition you just created)
set id=af
active
exit
exit

And your partition is ready. Now you should install modified bios if you want two cores to work (Exceptions: F3JC, F3JV, and a few pre-Santa Rosa laptops), it often makes Bluetooth and FireWire work too! The modified bios will work great under any Windows, so don't worry about that. Place downloaded bios in any folder on your Windows partition for easy access (you can place it on pen-drive, external disk, etc), you should also download an original bios from Asus website, if anything goes wrong. I just put all different versions of the BIOS in a folder "C:\BIOS" and "C:\BIOS\mod\". Ensure you plugged your power adapter and backed up your files.

Remember any of us don't take responsibility if your flashing fails. Please don't sue us, it just what you can get while installing Mac on a PC. :rolleyes:

After bios flashing, set up your new bios, boot to installation DVD and boot with -v. It should eventually load up the installer.

If you didn't install modified bios, boot it with cpus=1 and -v, but you may be experiencing lack of performance and your installation may not boot! If it doesn't, try another DVD. Upgrading/Downgrading original bios might help too. (As far as I know, Kalyway 10.5.1 seemed to work for most people)

Installation

After it loads (it usually takes about 5 minutes), select your language and run disk utility from utilities menu in top bar.

Select your new partition and format it as journaled HFS.

Then exit disk utility, agree to the agreement, select your new partition as installation destination. Click "Customize" in final screen and select ONLY these options:

- Vanilla_Kernel

- Vanilla_ACPI_fix

- BOOT_efi_mbr (under Bootloaders EFI)

Click "Next" and install! Skip the DVD checking if you are sure it's fine or if you checked it before.

Installation shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. After it restarts, take your DVD out and OS X will boot. Set up your personal info to create an account.

Voila, OSx86 with the "lovely" Kalyway appearance :P Don't worry, virginizer fixes it.

You can install some drivers now:

ALC660 audio drivers, mostly working (how to install?)

Update: If the above audio files don't work, you may have the ALC660-VD card. A solution for it has recently been found (as of Aug 19, 2008), link here

NVIDIA drivers

Intel Wireless 3945/4965 drivers progress

Battery meter

SpeedStep (10.5.1 and 10.5.2)

Some UVC webcams might work with Macam

Vista dual booting

Most probably you installed Leopard over Vista and you'll want to get it to work.

First, boot from Vista install DVD (not the recovery disk). It doesn't have to be the one you used to install your system :shock:Select "repair my computer" and run command line.

Type:

diskpart
select disk #
list partition
select partition # (your Vista partition)
active
exit
exit

Then run "Startup repair", press next even if you won't get any installs in the options, and continue. It shouldn't take long to repair it.

The system will reboot to Vista.

After it loads, download EasyBCD, install and open it, add a Mac entry as it was said in EasyBCD instructions (OS X Before Windows Vista)

Save it, go to utilities, select "fix HFS+ error", select your Mac partition, and it should be ready!

Reboot and see if it works. If you don't like this dual bootloader, you should boot to Vista again, delete Mac entry from bootloader using EasyBCD, open diskpart and select Mac partition active using the solution I told about before. Then reboot and you should get fully working lovely Darwin bootloader!

Remember that if you are going to use the awesome Laik's Virginizer to return Kalyway's appearance to default, remember to back your com.apple.boot.plist from Library/Preferences/SystemPreferences/ not to lose the timeout.

XP dual booting

Use your XP installation to modify the partitions, install XP on one of them. After XP installation set your Mac partition active and reboot. Install Leopard using the settings I described before, reboot and look – you have Darwin bootloader working "out of the box" ;)

If you want to use the XP bootloader, you must use the chain0 method. Since it's been described everywhere else on the Internet, I won't go into details :P

Final notes

Thank you for using our tutorial, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. If you find any errors in this tutorial also please let us know so we can fix it! Good luck and enjoy your new OSx86 system!

(and don't forget to rub it in the faces of Apple fanboys when your <$1500 laptop benchmarks just as high as their $2500 MBP! :P )

I wouldnt recommend running OSX on 6 or 8Gb, Leopard needs alot more for file swapping etc. Also maybe add ATi drivers as F3 were created with alot of ATi cards, Nvidia is the other.

josh

Of course, 6-8GB probably wouldn't be quite enough... but at the bare minimum for a functional system, 8GB should do it. I will make a note of it though.

Can someone link the ATi gfx card drivers? I am not sure which ones are out there, as my laptop has a 8600GS. Thanks!

Also, for those with Attansic L1 Gigabyte LAN, there's a driver available now: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0851&st=240 (post #257).. but I can't get it to work. Anyone else try?

btw, atlee, how did you get sleep to work? For everyone I know, the computer would sleep but not turn on afterwards.

Guest undefined

is it working with normal speed, olvko? and could anybody tell me how to install it? it gives me tons of "no such file or directory" errors when i run the script.

Guest undefined

that's my highest speed too :o but i think ive got a problem: the connection is indeed shown in the system configuration, but it's not working neither set manually or using dhcp. and when using dhcp i get some weird ip adresses. any idea how to fix it?

Apple recommends 9GB partition by default, and if you choose 6GB partition and you try to install Adobe Creative suite CS3 then thats another 6GB, already cant fit :) i dont suggest small partition sizes, better to keep all your apps on the one drive and backup files on another.

josh

antaholics: Thanks for all of your support for this excellent notebook series. I myself have a F3Sv-X1 I bought from NCIX. I was trying to follow your Tiger instructions/tips but the tread is getting out of hand (36 pp). I going to install kalyway 10.5.1 tonite and give you feedback about your instructions (if anything was missing). I am a noobee but i will search the threads before posting.

btw - i noticed you were cdn. i hail from vancouver.

have a great weekend..

tut126

atlee

I tested your kexts on my Asus F9S with ICH8 and ALC-660-VD.

The only working thing is the internal MIC. I can choose between internal spks, earphones and digital output as out devices, I can show spk icon, but my notebook still remain silent...

No working mute switch.

Max

I attached QMax's quote in case nobody sees it. On a side note, QMax, how did you get the card reader to work??? please do share :)

I got a really awesome USB card reader in the mean time.. it reads MiniSD, MicroSD, M2, MS Pro Duo, etc, all with no adapter! The best part? it costed just under $7 ;)

Guest undefined

oh yeah, forgot to mention - those first maxoid's kexts did in fact make my internal mic working, but i dont find that any useful :)

and ant - how does your card reader look? and how is it without adapter?

Thanks Ant !

Well, about card reader... the one installed by Asus on my F9S is made by Realtek.

After Leo installation I supposed it didn't worked, but putting an SD on it... wow... it worked natively without new or modified kexts.

The BIG problem is the ICH8/ALC 660-VD audio subsystem.... no way to make it at work...

Azalia doesn't works too...

Max

Guest undefined
The BIG problem is the ICH8/ALC 660-VD audio subsystem.... no way to make it at work...

Azalia doesn't works too...

that's my only problem too. i hope taruga's 2.0 patcher fixes it

"Worldwide Free Shipping" - wow, sounds tempting :P

but naah, im using vista to handle cards

It can be free shipping, but EU costums charges will add 10 or 15 euro to the price :D