ATI IXP ATA Driver repost

scousi

66 posts in this topic

in xp is it possible to check the id of the controller? i'm trying to find it in the hardware section of the system panel....

shedt maybe this help ya:

check out this online PCI ID List: http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?p=%2A

I make an example: first click on "ATI Technologies Inc", then on "RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]",

take the first and second number of the big text then (Subsystems for device 1002:5975:....)

and then it's 0x*SECOND NUMBER**FIRSTNUMBER* for example above it'll be 0x59751002.

i hope this is right :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

call me a nuub - I can't find any reference to the ATI hardware in the plist files in this patch. If I apply it to the marklar-tiger release 1 image, I kernel panic during on boot "unable to find driver for ADP2,1"

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 (x1100, Turion X2 TL50, SB400, 100GB PATA)

Am I looking in the wrong place for the references to the ATI hardware? IS it in the AppleOnboardPCATA file, and if so, what app should I use to edit it?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Needless to say, this took some tweaking. I'm on an MSI RS-480-M2 (SB400) on 10.4.6 (Myzar), and the first time I tried just dumping this file into /System/Library/Extensions the system would just reboot while updating the kextcache - wouldn't even get to the login screen. I had to use Macdrive (yes, it hates DAEMON TOOLS + SPTD) to get it to a usable state again. I wasn't even sure if it was this or the SB400 AC97 kext that made OSX angry, but i turned out I had skipped a lot while installing this. Do the following if you're on 10.4.6 (or higher?):

1. AppleGenericPCATA.kext and AppleOnboardPCATA.kext (the originals) are in /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns. Delete them (or rename so that they don't have a kext extension).

2. Dump the downloaded AppleOnboardPCATA.kext into /System/Library/Extensions. Do this from Finder, or in a root shell:

>cd (wherever-you-downloaded-it)
>mv AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

The kext needs to be recognized as authentic (root:wheel, 0644; or so the manpage for kextcache said) so do this in a terminal as root:

>cd /System/Library/Extensions/
>chown -R root AppleOnboardPCATA.kext
>chgrp -R wheel AppleOnboardPCATA.kext
>chmod -R 0644 AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

In case you can't get su to work, sudo each of these commands. If this step is skipped, kextcache skips the kext because it is "not authentic" (try kextcache -m to see what I mean). Next:

>kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/
>kextcache -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache probably would have run on bootup, but I did it in the shell itself because I was too impatient. Now things work like a charm and it takes 15 seconds to load a usable desktop (Athlon64 3000+, 1G RAM) as opposed to 1min 20sec earlier without this kext. Splendid work, you guys. The folks who couldn't copy it in correctly, try the stuff I tried, this kext is worth a lot. :)

EDIT: I did not bootup natively immediately after this, I booted up in VMWare from the physical hard disk (just for fun). I'm mentioning this because when I tried the same things with the AC97 sound driver, the system would keep on rebooting during startup (native) when kextcache ran (why?). Again, in VMWare I got past that, and then when I booted natively I had sound and super-fast disk read/writes thanks to the ATA.

@Squimmy: Have you tried it yourself on 10.4.8, can you confirm that it is broken?

(sigh) now if only Darwin could use VESA 3.0 on my onboard ATi Xpress 200. I'm on 800x600x32@60Hz on my 7-year old CRT, and the flickering is going to drive me blind.

Edited by sushipapu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
hi,

when i do so , delete the AppleGenericPCATA.kext and copy the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext into Folder and delete kextcache....then the OSX boot 1x and the next boot come "Still waiting on root device". Why?

greats mhc

yes, I have same behavior (zv6000 based on Xpress 200M)

who know's why and how to overcome?

thanks

• 3 months later...

By popular demand here is the kext for the SB400 ATA controller of the ATI x200. This is for ATA device id 0x43761002

Can you do it for device id 0X528710B9 ? uLI M1573

and for Ali M5229 0X522910B9

both on same RD480 Neo2

thanx coz i have SLOOOOW ide !!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is the solution my friend.

ATA__x200 .... related SATA Drive problem.

have the .kext file

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=33801 . posted by me in other forum.

Solution is as easy as a PIE.

Get kexthelper from google -> a freeware utilty.

1. download the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext ( within ZIP file )

2. Run 'kexthelper' drag AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext file ... provide your root password. n click Easy Install ...

3. All Done : Reboot : Plug in Your SATA cables. n enjoy. !!

Working on my two machines.

Hope that cud help out friends.

• 1 month later...