Windows Vista, Build 5308 Released - "Feature Complete"

Velvet Nightmare

18 posts in this topic

"With today's release of the Windows Vista February CTP (Community Technology Preview), Microsoft has publicly passed a key milestone on the road to launching its new operating system. This release of Vista is "feature-complete", the company says, meaning that all of the fundamental capabilities that Vista will eventually offer are now baked in. Development efforts aren't slowing—the user experience will continue to evolve, bugs will get fixed, performance and compatibility will improve—but the basic shape of the operating system has been solidified, and from here on out we expect to see mostly fine-tuning rather than wholesale changes."

So now that 5308 is released, is it really going to be possible to dualboot? In theory, yes, but that's if the EFI support has been completely finished. I have an MSDN account, but I don't have my MacBook yet, so I can try an install, but non-MSDN users should be able to find the new build in the usual places (yarr.).

Now we wait.

It would be very interesting to know. I will have my new iMac by next week, hopefully, so I can try whatever I can then. I'd like to see anyone who's tried comment. I'm thinking that the Mac bootloader (holding the "C" key or the option key) won't even recognize the CD as a valid boot device, so it's hard to say how you can even boot the CD to begin the install process.

I've been waiting for this release for a while, it was originally supposed to come on the 14th but then it slipped to the 21st, looking in the usual places there seem to be no torrents available yet and paul thurrot is on vacation so we wont be getting one of his usual reviews till next week. More waiting...

Similar thread seems to indicate that this build has removed 32-bit EFi suport:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=9808&hl=

I find it very hard to believe that MS would remove this from a Vista release just to make sure that Intel Mac users can't install it on their computers. Extra $$$ for licenses on more computers is their [MS] goal. Also, reading his blog, he also hasn't been able to install Vista on his normal, windows based PC - let alone a Mac!

Nick

Well I can verify that the Vista 5308 DVD Can't be seen thanks to the mentioned UDF issue. I tried 2 other methods with no luck also. Copied the Vista DVD over to a USB FAT32 Hard Drive and got nowhere and also went as far as to burn the Vista files from the DVD to a blank DVD on the iMac (as it burms DVDs as HFS+ by default) and even though this time it saw the DVD it didn't help. bootmgr.efi leaves you at a black screen with a static cursor and cdboot.efi in the boot folder either pops up the "Press any key to boot from CD..." and sits there when booting from the FAT32 drive or drops you back to the EFI Menu if you use the HFS+ DVD after hitting enter.

I don't see why people think EFI has been removed or reduced though. The same EFI files that were in 5270 are also in 5308 and they HAVE changed in size so there have been edits of some kind to them (also a new file in the boot folder called bootsect.exe has appeared though I have no idea what it is for). As Nakfull never even got as far with his copy I have no idea where he got the idea EFI was removed from x32 Vista.

<above photos>

I don't get it. You got the MacBook running Windows Vista but it gets this error? The second picture looks photoshopped??

Please explain. I went to that website (allupinthere.com). Strange place, it offers no clue as to what you're trying to say with these photos.

I don't get it. You got the MacBook running Windows Vista but it gets this error? The second picture looks photoshopped??

Please explain. I went to that website (allupinthere.com). Strange place, it offers no clue as to what you're trying to say with these photos.

It all looks photoshop'ed. First, notice the typos in the "red screen of death". And of course the second one is most obvious. :happymac:

Nick