Acer Aspire 5920G Leopard 10.5.2 Guide

VooD

23 posts in this topic

Backup_drivers_Acer.zip

This guide allows Leopard 10.5.2 (9C7010) to work in Acer Aspire 5920G notebooks with:

- Both Cores

- Full QE/CI including VGA output

- AHCI Sata

- Keyboard and trackpad

- Sound (Speakers or headphones)

- Firewire

But you won't get:

- Ethernet: no driver avaible

- Wifi: no driver avaible

- Webcam: shows black video

- Proper shutdown (have to press power button a while after shutdown)

- Battery meter (needs non vanilla kernel)

1.- Flashing the BIOS.

First you need to flash your BIOS with the version Kabyl fixed in order to be able to even boot the installation DVD.

1.1.- Download a standard BIOS to get the flasher files: ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/asp...a/BIOS/3811.zip

1.2.- Download the modded BIOS: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=696581

1.3.- Flash using either the flasher for Windows or DOS (I only got sucess using the Windows one)

1.4.- After flashing enter into your BIOS settings (F2 at boot) and be sure the sata controller is in AHCI mode, also disabling network booting will speed things a bit.

2.- Installing Iatkos 1.0 R2

2.1.- Now you have the chance to install into a GUID or MBR partition scheme. I've got sucess in both but you have to use a few additional steps or you'll end with a not booting installation. Detailed steps and neccesary files are here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952.

There is a problem tough, the keyboard is not working, so you'll have to either previously create a script on the pendrive, or perform those steps by booting from the dvd in single user mode.

In order to boot from the installation DVD in single user mode take note on which disk (X) and partition (Y) you installed, boot from DVD, push F8 and type:

rd=diskXsY -s

2.2 You should have a booting partition now.

3.- Updating the system

3.1.- You'll face the problem of not having ethernet or wireless in order to use Apple Update but you can either buy a USB to Ethernet adapter (use these drivers if is not working out of the box http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html ) , a USB Wifi Mac compatible adapter or share your internet connection via firewire using another hackintosh or Mac.

3.2.- Install every update, except 10.5.2 and reboot

3.3.- Install 10.5.2 update using netkas.org guide ( http://netkas.org/?p=50 )

3.4.- After booting you'll lost the trackpad and keyboard so, take an external USB keyboard and mouse in order to fix that.

3.5.- Use kext helper (http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html) to install: ACPIPS2Nub.kext , AppleACPIPlatform.kext , ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from the attached file.

3.6.- Keyboard and trackpad should be working now, so continue updating the system using Apple Update. Don't worry it's safe (at least it was the day I wrote this post)

3.7.- After rebooting, you'll have the proper drivers for the VGA thanks to 10.5.2 Graphics Update, so now use kexthelper again to install NVinjectGo.kext so you can use them. I wasn't able to get the exact nvcap settings for nvinject, but the ones I included allow the LCD and VGA output to work (didn't try HDMI output)

3.8.- After rebooting you'll have complete QE/CI hardware acceleration, and everything working (except network as there is no working drivers yet :P )

Sound:

In this notebook you can have either speaker output or headphone outputs working, but you need a different driver for each one.

Speakers: Remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and install AppleAzalia.kext from the attached file using kexthelper.

HeadPhones: Remove AppleAzalia.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and install AppleHDA.kext from the attached file using kexthelper.

Final notes:

I have not tested Kalyway or Equates Iatkos patch but they may fix the booting problems and/or even the lack of keyboard during install time. I'm more used to Iatkos so that's why this guide is based on it.

Maybe there are easiers ways to make this notebook work, so feel free to post your comments about.

hey, i wondered if someone could help me out here. I am trying to dual boot Vista and Leopard. I already have vista installed. I have tried Kalyway and iAtkos installations, and i seem to get further with the iAtkos DVD so far. It installed, but when i start Leopard, it gets stuck on the loading screen with the apple logo and spinning wheel. If someone could either point me as to how to get past this stage that would be great. I assume that it is the graphics card causing this? Or if someone could guide me as to what i should select when installing to get a working boot? thankyou, o and btw i am using a single hdd, with a partition

yup it is. i am going to give it another go now. is there any pathces i should install? because i am just going by what i think should be installed at mo. i cant find any help on what i need to customize in the install. i going to use iAtkos r2

Finally i got this to work, so i though i would post what i did.

Firstly, i this is to get Vista and Leopard Dual Booting on a Single HDD, and i am installing on an Acer 5920G. I used the iAtkos r2 DVD, and a copy of Vista DVD

1. I am assumoing Vista is already installed

2. Make sure you flash your bios using the bios at the top of this topic

2. Go into the disk management ( Start, right click on Computer, Manage)

3. On the left of the Management screen select the disk section

4. Now select a partition you want to use for Leopard. If you have got no free partitions, shrink one(right click, shrink, specify size you want) ou want at least 7GB, i freed up 10GB

5. Once you have got some spare space, partition it as FAT32, as this was the only way that i was able to detect the partition in the OSX installation

6. Make sure its all partitioned ok, and as FAT32

7. Now reboot with iAtkos r2 DVD

8. When you get to the booting screen, press F8 to use options, and boot using the following command: cpus=1 -v

9. Now go through the installation process

10. Select the Disk Utility from the option along the top

11. Select the partition you created earlier, and format it to Extended Journeled

12. Once done close the Disk Utility

13. Carry on through installation, and select customize

14. Select the Darwin EFI Bootloader and the SSE2 and SSE3 Kernel

15. Now finish the installation, select the partition you wanna install onto

16. Once installed, and the machine reboots, take out the DVD

17. When promted, press any key to load up advanced options

18. Now boot using the following command: cpus=1

19. You should get into the reg from screen now, congrats!

20. Play about with the new OS, and when ready, reboot

21. Now you have the problem of trying to get Vista to boot and Leopard

22. When rebooted, again press any key to get advanced options, and type following: cpus=1 -s

23. Then use the following command to make vista active partition:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

24. Now you should have vista as active partition, so place vista DVD in drive when rebooting

25. Boot from the Vista DVD, and follow instructions to repair Vista

26. Now vista will boot fine.

27. Reboot machine with the iAtkos dvd in, and in advanced options, type this: cpus=1 -s

28. Then use the follwing command:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag X

quit

reboot

29. The X is the partition that you installed OSX on

30. Now you can dual boot Vista and Leopard. This is the exact way i did it, and worked fine

I've been Flashed my bios but it seems still not boot

and i had checked out my bios setting

the sata controller is in AHCI mode

i'm use KALYWAY 10.5.2

and it's appear same error from this Topic

From path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume with UUID [uUID HERE]

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProvider</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string></key><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

:(

i have no idea about it

• 4 weeks later...

I personally haven't try iATKOS 2.0i yet.

For my situation, I'm using 5920G with Vista + XP + Leopard, iATKOS 1.0i.

I didn't flash the bios though, and my Leopard can boot if lucky, but if unlucky sometimes it will get stuck at 'waiting for boot volume..'

I can shutdown properly.

Problem is, my Leopard is unable to mount my Vista partition. It detects it as a FAT16 (MS-DOS) partition. It can detect and mount my XP partition as NTFS though, for unknown reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I won't be installing a new os x version on my 5920G soon unless It really improve something. Anyway I think iatkos 2.0 should ease the installation since they reported to have fixed bootsector problems.

They incluyed lastest AppleSMBIOS.kext, and Graphics Update, so probably it would be matter of installing everything vanilla, and then just adding the drivers I posted.

Of course flashing the bios still is mandatory (the guy who fixed the bios has reported to be working on a kext which should fix multicore problems for most motherboards but there´s no much info about yet)

So, any brave enough willing to install Iatkos 2.0 (and then update to 10.5.3 :P )

Hmmm, every time I try this, I get a message that says something like a directory thing has started, it's not an error. But this is as far as I get. I try typing and that works, as in like a command line, but it works just like a word processor. Then nothing else happens and I've left it for over two hours. Any ideas?

EDIT: Okay, here's what I get in the few lines before it goes:

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full secure.

Jettisoning kernel linker.

localhost Kextd[47]: Cannot add repositary (not directory)

Kextd[47]: Root file system is read only: skip kernel link data generation.

Directory service [51]: launched version 5 [v514]

NOTE: THAT MAY NOT BE SPOT ON.

Please help?

• 1 month later...

hi, i do have a acer 6920g - i heared its very simalar to 5920g -

till now no sound : i will try now ur solution with this appleazalia.

till now now ethernet: my most problem, does anyone know how to connect with atheros AR 8121 - AR 8113 (thats how i see it under vista) or wireless Intel 4965 AGN

thanks-

chris

• 3 weeks later...
hi, i do have a acer 6920g - i heared its very simalar to 5920g -

till now no sound : i will try now ur solution with this appleazalia.

I have an Acer 6920G too, so did the appleazalia trick work? I have not been able to get sound or any networking to work. I did get the video card working at full 1366x768 res with one of the newer Nvidia NVinject or NVinstallers, but no QI only software CI for the 9500M GS 512mb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Finally i got this to work, so i though i would post what i did.

Firstly, i this is to get Vista and Leopard Dual Booting on a Single HDD, and i am installing on an Acer 5920G. I used the iAtkos r2 DVD, and a copy of Vista DVD

1. I am assumoing Vista is already installed

2. Make sure you flash your bios using the bios at the top of this topic

2. Go into the disk management ( Start, right click on Computer, Manage)

3. On the left of the Management screen select the disk section

4. Now select a partition you want to use for Leopard. If you have got no free partitions, shrink one(right click, shrink, specify size you want) ou want at least 7GB, i freed up 10GB

5. Once you have got some spare space, partition it as FAT32, as this was the only way that i was able to detect the partition in the OSX installation

6. Make sure its all partitioned ok, and as FAT32

7. Now reboot with iAtkos r2 DVD

8. When you get to the booting screen, press F8 to use options, and boot using the following command: cpus=1 -v

9. Now go through the installation process

10. Select the Disk Utility from the option along the top

11. Select the partition you created earlier, and format it to Extended Journeled

12. Once done close the Disk Utility

13. Carry on through installation, and select customize

14. Select the Darwin EFI Bootloader and the SSE2 and SSE3 Kernel

15. Now finish the installation, select the partition you wanna install onto

16. Once installed, and the machine reboots, take out the DVD

17. When promted, press any key to load up advanced options

18. Now boot using the following command: cpus=1

19. You should get into the reg from screen now, congrats!

20. Play about with the new OS, and when ready, reboot

21. Now you have the problem of trying to get Vista to boot and Leopard

22. When rebooted, again press any key to get advanced options, and type following: cpus=1 -s

23. Then use the following command to make vista active partition:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

reboot

24. Now you should have vista as active partition, so place vista DVD in drive when rebooting

25. Boot from the Vista DVD, and follow instructions to repair Vista

26. Now vista will boot fine.

27. Reboot machine with the iAtkos dvd in, and in advanced options, type this: cpus=1 -s

28. Then use the follwing command:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag X

quit

reboot

29. The X is the partition that you installed OSX on

30. Now you can dual boot Vista and Leopard. This is the exact way i did it, and worked fine

Hey there,

Is this guide also working if i have XP installed?

and i don't have to flash bios, i installed Osx before (iAtkos_4i)

And still no succes on Wireless/Bluetooth/infrared?