osx86 10.4.4 dvd installer out in the open

hdavy2002

85 posts in this topic

Yes I know there is a PPF avaiable for AMD CPU's - but do I use the patcher to patch the DVD with this, or do I use it to parch something else?

An AMD enabled DVD would still be cool as it feel right now that us AMD users are being left out in the cold.

GJ

you use it to patch the dvd you got from the demons, it adds prepatched files for amd and it fixes diskutil so it makes mbr partitions and not useless efi/guid stuff also it fixes bless so it writes to the mbr the right bootblock and not the efi one.

One problem i'm aware of is that it doesn't include ionetworking from 10.4.3 so network support is broken on realtek, i suggest you backup the 10.4.3 kext and add it later.

I did the original iso and the ppf

you use it to patch the dvd you got from the demons, it adds prepatched files for amd and it fixes diskutil so it makes mbr partitions and not useless efi/guid stuff also it fixes bless so it writes to the mbr the right bootblock and not the efi one.

One problem i'm aware of is that it doesn't include ionetworking from 10.4.3 so network support is broken on realtek, I suggest you backup the 10.4.3 kext and add it later.

I did the original iso and the ppf

Thanks, so out of all the patches in the Maxxuss patch solution can someone just clearly print the names of the ones that should be applied directly against the ISO? This would help a lot.

I know you should only apply the patches if you think you will need them, but I just want to clear up exctly in my own mind what is required.

I feel like such a n00b. You wouldn't believe that I have been a linux user for 5+ years.

GJ

I am installing this right now and I am guessing that I have to choose "CUSTOMIZE" during the install and uncheck Bundled Software right?

So no iMove

Photo Booth

Front Row

iPhoto

ect.?

Is there anyway to get this software working later?

It isn't so much that it isn't working, I thought it falls along the lines that it is on the second DVD.

Hi I'm trying to install this and I'm running into an issue. I can't choose the drive to install on! I've formatted it on my Ubuntu LiveCD (which didn't have the AF option but I used A8 ) but that didn't work. I went into the terminal then and used fdisk to format it as HFS+ with boot partition but it still won't let me select it on the destination part! I've tried mounting it a billion different ways but I can't figure that out. I'm trying mount_hfs /dev/disk0 /Volumes but is that the right command? It doesn't work and says 'Invalid Argument'. I tried mounting it in the disk utlility and it says I should try repairing the disk, but it won't repair! Can anyone give me a clue as to what to do, maybe step-by-step going through the formatting.

Also I'm using the terminal from the install disk, but if the utility doesn't work, and I'm guessing it's an Fdisk shell, then maybe fdisk doesn't work either?

Hi I'm trying to install this and I'm running into an issue. I can't choose the drive to install on! I've formatted it on my Ubuntu LiveCD (which didn't have the AF option but I used A8 ) but that didn't work. I went into the terminal then and used fdisk to format it as HFS+ with boot partition but it still won't let me select it on the destination part! I've tried mounting it a billion different ways but I can't figure that out. I'm trying mount_hfs /dev/disk0 /Volumes but is that the right command? It doesn't work and says 'Invalid Argument'. I tried mounting it in the disk utlility and it says I should try repairing the disk, but it won't repair! Can anyone give me a clue as to what to do, maybe step-by-step going through the formatting.

Also I'm using the terminal from the install disk, but if the utility doesn't work, and I'm guessing it's an Fdisk shell, then maybe fdisk doesn't work either?

get the ppf from the demons that should solve every partition problems with diskutil and also the b0 error with the bootblock

I will if this doesn't work but so far it seems to be doing something. I formatted it with fdisk: fdisk -i /dev/rdisk0 and then initialized it with newfs: newfs -J -v OSX /dev/rdisk0s2 and then mounted it in the utility. So I'm gonna cross my fingers, pray a little, and maybe it will work!

EDIT: And if it does work maybe we can knock the Linux LiveCD out of the equation and people just need to use the built in terminal!

EDIT2: Okay it didn't work, proceeding with patching. Just patch with the base PPF right?

When a installer is patched for sse2, will it slow down a sse3 machine? Also no NX vs NX? I just want to have a machine that is not hindered anywhere!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Yes, it will slow it down, and it can also affect compatibility and stability in certain situations. The NX/XD patch should't make a difference but I see no reason to apply a patch you don't need- same goes for the remaining patches. However, hypothetically, you should be able to replace the kernel with the ideal kernel for your CPU (using only the patches you need). I had trouble replacing the patched kernel installed by this DVD, but that could have something to do with the instability of the PPF patcher app - I'll probably try again later.

Ok just got XP reinstalled, then installed 10.4.4 via VMWare on a 4GB hard drive, and everything works just fine. Even my nForce3 onboard sound worked without editting. I am now going to try getting my Marvell Yukon onboard ethernet working. I used the patched dvd iso, and applied the AMD/Partition PPF Patch.

Trying the :( oid DVD on Toshiba Satellite L20-101

Normal: Getting OS X blue screen of dead

Dummy dongle: Bypassing grey logo, getting a blue screen with rotating logo and shutting down automaticaly o.O

External monitor as single display: The same

Both external monitor and LCD: The same

Gonna play with ACPI modes and -x flag.

demon-oid had a 10.4.4 that was an install DVD and the comments indicated it has the DVDPATCHER applied. This patcher was a special shell script that would rebuild a DMG for 10.4.4 with Maxxuss patches applied and retaining bootability on regular PCs. I honestly don't remember about the AMD compatibility, tho.

It boots and works effing great... albeit slow as dishwater to get even to the language screen. It was as if all these calls to the TPM had to read something off the CD... It's very sluggish at start, after the install (a solid 2 hours later if I recall), it's nice and snappy booting off HD.

I still couldn't get the new kernel to work, so I decided to use the patch script to make my own custom bootable Install DVD. There's still some problems - I had to do a chmod 755 on the AppleAC97Audio.kext after installation, and there was a small USB problem (a reboot took care of it). It also took probably 10-15 minutes to boot from the DVD (the installation still took the normal amount of time). So I've got some wrinkles to iron out, but at least I'm running the proper kernel with only the base patch applied. Now I'm going to see if using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.4.1 fixes my sleep/shut down issues. And then I'm going to try to get this Installation DVD dialed in.

will running 10.4.4 allow me to get QE without doing a bunch of kext patching? what about wifi? if i built a system using all the same hw as a intel imac would i still have to do stuff that requires patching this and that? or would i just be able to stick it in and install it. also suppossing i get this running... will i b e able to just buy / download intel mac software and run it or is it encrypted some how?

if you wanna talk to the group that released this for 4.4 AMD/Intel you can reach us on #osx86dvd on Efnet, we also need some tallanted indviduals, so we can make the next release even better

Yours Faithfully

Ben

hope to see some new faces

Probably, you ppl need some testers too?..right?...so? I would like to be one of them.

if you wanna talk to the group that released this for 4.4 AMD/Intel you can reach us on #osx86dvd on Efnet, we also need some tallanted indviduals, so we can make the next release even better

Yours Faithfully

Ben

hope to see some new faces

huh you didn't make this

uhhh it was Between me, JaS, Bwr, and a few others so ummm dont preach befor you know the facts ok

hahah nah you are talking about the autopatcher you are in the wrong thread and you didn't do anything for the autopatcher either. Bwr just leaked it because it wasn't ready for the primetime that's why your stupid chan is on efnet and not on the official server you both were banned

Is this a clean 10.4.4 install? and can you use m.x.u.s's 10.4.5 update? :dev:

What do you mean with clean? a full installer. then yes. And no. you can't use mx.us update but you shoudn't care. Find the final ppf file on demon. Patch your dvd and then while installing it should update to 10.4.5 automatically. I'm still downloading the image. Tomorrow i'll try it out.