Firewire capture problem

BlackCH

6 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get some video out from my camera to my computer via firewire. The camera is not seen by the system although the firewire ports are active. I use to do it on my old laptop with the integrated firewire port (TI chip AFAICR).

Now Im trying on my desktop with two different PCI cards: a VIA chipset card and a TI chipset card. Also on my new laptop with a expresscard/34 (TI chip); no success whatsoever. Not even in windows.

I know this is possible because I've done it before;

So the only thing I can think about is the camera (sony DCR-HC23) is either not working propperly or only compatible with native built-in firewire ports. Can this be possible?

Sadly I dont have any other firewire devices to check if the ports are really working.

Any ideas would help...

thanx

Firewire ports and firewire-cables get broken amazingly fast. Before you drive yourself crazy reconfiguring your hard/software, the first thing I would do is replace the firewire cable. Also try pressing gently the end sticking into the camera: those tiny "fingers" in the socket will sometimes hang or get bent.

One other thing that worked last year with my friends camera: it too would not respond to any firewire on a computer, but violá... when I hooked up his camera to the digital (firewire) port of my camera and turned them both on (one as player, one as recorder) his camera "clicked" and the firewire in/out was OK again. That might have been a specific case of firmware/checksum strangeness, but it did work, somehow "re-setting" his port.

ALSO sometimes the order which you turn the devices on can have an effect. Most people swear you should turn your camera on only AFTER your computer hast booted up...

One last tip: re-check the camera output/input in Windows and re-check all the sub-sub menu setups in FinalCut... there are a hell of a lot of settings there you might have set up wrong, or set themselves up wrong!

good luck,

ninetto

Does that camera also have a USB streaming option?

I used a friend's Sony and he was using the proprietary and worthless USB streaming mode. I hooked it up using a Firewire cable to show him how much better it was and nothing. Finally discovered that using the camera's onscreen menu options I had to turn off the USB mode for Firewire to work. After that no problems at all.