HP Bios Whitelist Thread

10 posts in this topic

As a start, there have been attempts to modify the HP Bios to circumvent the whitelist preventing users from installing wireless cards other than those specified by HP.

Great progress was made by Doctorj when he found a variable that disabled the list entirely, but it was restricted to only the F.16 bios. The groundwork was laid by others,

Dv600t--Doctorj

IBM whitelist

Paul Sladen

Error 104

From the above posted links, you can figure out yourself how to patch your own bios, but I will make an easier step-by-step for our laptops in specific.

There is a way to run the latest bios update for your laptop (dv2k/6k/9k/others) and still run a custom wireless card.

I'm starting a thread to help those with HP laptops patch their bios so they can run another card, and still keep the original they had. This is not the wide-effect patch that Doctorj has devised, but instead patches the card into the list, replacing the variables of an unused card that the laptop doesn't have.

I'll post more into a Howto afterwards.. a friend of mine is having a baby today.

In the meantime.. those looking to get around this.. post a link to your laptop's latest bios

along with the below values for both your new wifi card, and the one you currently have.

Broadcom 4311   <---- what I have
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1363103C&REV_01\4&14C5F9B7&0&0018
Gigabyte GN-WI01-GT  <--- what I'm adding
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_E9131458&REV_01\4&14C5F9B7&0&0018

As stated before, I'll eventually set up a howto so that users can do this themselves, I am just short on time today.

Can this technins work with compaq bios? My friend have compaq v3621au bios F.16 and there have BCM4311KFBG inside(work on Leopard). I try to change my Intel 3945 to his notebook but it didn't work.his Compaq Bios don't show anything error but when windows xp start Intel 3945 didn't show on device manager... Damm....

• 3 months later...

Hello m8... I hope you can help me out here. I have HP Compaq 6510b lappy and i'm sick of that 104 error!!

The latest BIOS for my model ishere

INTEL 4965AG <---- what I have
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4229&SUBSYS_10008086&REV_61\4&29E2C51B&0&00E1
DELL 1490 WLAN (Broadcom) <--- what I'm adding
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4312&SUBSYS_00071028&REV_01\4&29E2C51B&0&00E1

Thank you very much in advance, and I'm looking forward to that tutorial.

Cheers,

Zol

• 1 month later...

Any progress on the howto? I have successfully patched the F.58A bios but no luck with any others... I have a thread started dealing with the F.24A but no replies yet..

As a start, there have been attempts to modify the HP Bios to circumvent the whitelist preventing users from installing wireless cards other than those specified by HP.

Great progress was made by Doctorj when he found a variable that disabled the list entirely, but it was restricted to only the F.16 bios. The groundwork was laid by others,

Dv600t--Doctorj

IBM whitelist

Paul Sladen

Error 104

From the above posted links, you can figure out yourself how to patch your own bios, but I will make an easier step-by-step for our laptops in specific.

There is a way to run the latest bios update for your laptop (dv2k/6k/9k/others) and still run a custom wireless card.

I'm starting a thread to help those with HP laptops patch their bios so they can run another card, and still keep the original they had. This is not the wide-effect patch that Doctorj has devised, but instead patches the card into the list, replacing the variables of an unused card that the laptop doesn't have.

I'll post more into a Howto afterwards.. a friend of mine is having a baby today.

In the meantime.. those looking to get around this.. post a link to your laptop's latest bios

along with the below values for both your new wifi card, and the one you currently have.

As stated before, I'll eventually set up a howto so that users can do this themselves, I am just short on time today.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dv600t--Doctorj

IBM whitelist

Paul Sladen

Error 104

i am very interested, i just replaced my stock broadcom 4321mc wireless card that came with my hp tx1410us with the apple version of the card "airport extreme 802.11a/b/g/n.

it's funny because they are exactly the same model/make/revision, but sadly it is hit by the white list and throws a 104 error, i have been looking and looking for a resolution to either remove or edit the whitelist in my bios but information is scarce and or only pertaining to dv series hp laptops with intel chipsets..

• 2 weeks later...
Can this technins work with compaq bios? My friend have compaq v3621au bios F.16 and there have BCM4311KFBG inside(work on Leopard). I try to change my Intel 3945 to his notebook but it didn't work.his Compaq Bios don't show anything error but when windows xp start Intel 3945 didn't show on device manager... Damm....

The answer is likely yes, HP has owned Compaq for some time; infact a lot of HP and Compaq laptops use the same identical motherboards and share bios images… In saying that, for anyone whose going to try and use pre-modded bios image, I suggest (unless its specifically for the same model HP/Compaq)… go onto ebay and look for a replacement motherboard for your laptop(if you find nothing and say you have a DV4524 then try and call it a DV4500 or DV4000 intel/amd or similar, play with the name:P), most sellers will list at least some of the other model compaq’s/hp’s that use the same mobo….. to check if they’re the same motherboards, check where the ports are (VGA, RJ45(network), modem, usb, firewire, cardreader slots ext), also take note of where the doors are on the bottom of your hp/Compaq and compare them to where the motherboard on eBay lays things out(Take note if your laptop and the motherboard are Intel or AMD because that will make or break you)… don’t use where the power plugs in on the laptop as a reference as a lot of hp’s/Compaq’s tend to use bridges to relocate where the power cord plugs in...

here are 3 individual examples of HP/Compaq series laptops that share the same parts:

HP DV6900 intel = HP DV6500 intel = HP DV6700 intel

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compaq Presario V2000/M2000 AMD = HP Pavilion ze2000 AMD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compaq V3000 AMD = HP DV2000 AMD

In say this all I will now throw out some propaganda….. I LOVE HP/Compaq’s for using a somewhat standardized set of parts :) and having their parts fairly easily available to buy….. I bought a ASUS z92t and couldn’t find a replacement anywhere….. so far 3 hp’s/Compaq’s I’ve owned and parts are easy to come by:).

• 2 months later...