SOLUTION FOR MARVEL 88E8039 IN LEOPARD

Apple X

27 posts in this topic

First, sorry for my english... I am spanish and i dont speak english since....bufff

I, about many peope, have a marvel yukon 88e8039, and Leopard 10,5

One week after don´t works the ethernet conection, using the tutorials about marvel in leopard and others, AppleYukon (I don´t have it i only have appleYukon2.... etc) i have the solution to works perfect in leopard.

First the file to edit is Info.plist that is in the package IONetworkingFamily.kext so firstly enter in console...

Sudo -s and type your password to have permissions. We are going to change permissions to edit the packet IONetworkingFamily.kext that is in /System/Library/Extensions

The commands are there:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily.kext

ok... now we go to the find (explorer) and go to this archive in the explorer (finder)

Now enter in this using the script editor (the archive change his icon from a cube to a carpet icon) and now we have to enter to view the content of the package (kext)

Now enter in contents, plugins, appleyukon2.kext (that it is on leopard that we have), contents, and we wiew the magnific Info.plist that we have to edit

Since now is about the others tutotials, have change the permissions, and we are going to edit the file

Ok... we have to change the VendorID/DevideID to recognize our ethernet... we have the file edited in this tutorial so if you wish to copy directly and replace... perfect... my DevideID/VendorID is 435311AB that it`s of marvel yukon 88E8039 Fast Ethernetç

I have changed the DeviceID/VendorID in this cards to assegurate me that works...and i have change this lines...

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x435311ab</string>

I have change in the 88e8053, 8055, 8061 and 8062...

In the file that is in the food of this post you have the file to view the configuration.

now we are going to ACTIVATE the driver manualy... ypu dont have to restart... whithout restart all persons have the etthernet fully working without any kernel panic

now, in console...

sudo -s (if you closed before the terminal)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/

cd Contents

cd PlugIns

kextload AppleYukon2.kext ( load the driver )

now we are going to delete the Extensions.mkext ..........

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

PERFECT... Close the terminal and if you go to System Prefecences... Network... YOU HAVE A NEW ETHERNET ADAPTER!!!!!!!

Now to activate definetively, select in DHCP, the option off, and click on apply...

Now, select DHCP, or the configuration that you prefer... plug in... and works!!!!!!!!!!

jejeje

If you wish, restart the pc to view that it`s none kernel panic... boot perfect in normal mode....

Thanks to all... If you have another question... here i am

-----------------------------------------------

Packard Bell SB88 Limited Edition---------

Core 2 Duo... Ok (Parch of NVInstaller)

3GB RAM (Working)

GeForce 8600M 512 (Working with hardware acceleration, QE Enabled and CI Enabled...with 256 Mb)

Conexant High Definition Audio (Working with Alexia Audio Package of HDAudio)

DVD-RW (Working)

Fast Ethernet Marvel Yukon 88E8039 (Working)

Intel 3945 ABG // 4965 ABG (Not working... the driver is not works yet)

Ralink RT71 Wifi Adapter (Working)

Ricoh Card Reader (Not working)

USB 2.0 Camera (Working but no with photo booth)

Info.plist.zip

• 1 month later...

A little hard to follow at first (since English isn't your first language) but this is the ONLY guide that finally has my Yukon Ethernet working on Kalyway 10.5.2. I am using a Toshiba a205-4707. Hopefully this can help some others out there as well.

Ola chicos!

Claro que si mañana mismo la pongo. Yo la uso todos los dias la marvel, y nunca ma dado ningun problema, va perfecta. Mañana viernes os cuelgo la solucion en español en el foro de español. Un saludo chicos / chicas

Hello boys and girls;

Ok, tomorrow i will post the solution in spanish in the spanish forum... I use the marvel and never has do anyproblem, works perfectly... Tomorrow friday i will post the solution. And yes, I am spanish hehehe, sorry about my poor english

• 2 weeks later...

im in terminal and when i put this in

i get

chmod: 755: no such file or directory

when i put this in

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

it says

chown: illegal option --r

But i rebooted and when i plug my ethernet in, it shows up as an airport, and i can get online. did i do everything right?

Negative FPS:

Google for and download this file: pciutils_osx_installer.pkg.zip

double-click to unzip you will get .pkg file

1 - Double click on it and follow instructions to install.

2 - Open a Terminal.

3 - Type "lspci -nn"

4 - You should see something like this.

zephyroth-akashs-system-product-name:~ zephyroth$ lspci -nn

00:00.0 Memory controller [0580]: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller [10de:005e] (rev a3)

00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge [10de:0050] (rev a3)

00:01.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus [10de:0052] (rev a2)

00:02.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller [10de:005a] (rev a2)

00:02.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller [10de:005b] (rev a3)

00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller [10de:0059] (rev a2)

00:06.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE [10de:0053] (rev f2)

00:07.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0054] (rev f3)

00:08.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0055] (rev f3)

00:09.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge [10de:005c] (rev a2)

00:0a.0 Bridge [0680]: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller [10de:0057] (rev a3)

00:0b.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge [10de:005d] (rev a3)

00:0c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge [10de:005d] (rev a3)

00:0d.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge [10de:005d] (rev a3)

00:0e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge [10de:005d] (rev a3)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS] [10de:0193] (rev a2)

in this example the ethernet controller device id is 0x005710de .

Hope this helps...

Now enter in this using the script editor (the archive change his icon from a cube to a carpet icon) and now we have to enter to view the content of the package (kext)

Now enter in contents, plugins, appleyukon2.kext (that it is on leopard that we have), contents, and we wiew the magnific Info.plist that we have to edit

What the heck does this mean, what am i suppose to do here.. you don't make any sense.. can someone guide me through it.. i can do everything else.. thats easy

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First, you're brilliant, amazing, great! ^_^

This worked for me, once I figured out what you were trying to say. Now, since you have been such a great help, I would like to help you with your English translation so others may be able to understand better. :)

-------------------------------------

First, to avoid any confusion when I say "I," the research and article was written by Apple X,

but changed to make more English sense by C.k, as well as include a few more steps for clarification.

I, like many people, have a Marvel Yukon 88e8039 Ethernet controller and Leopard 10.5

After some research, I [Apple X] have a working solution to get Ethernet working in Leopard.

First, you need to edit the Info.plist within IONetworkingFamily.

Go into the console (press alt and space bar, type "console" then press enter) and type the following:

sudo su   #put in your password

This will set us up for the rest of the journey. The rest of these things in the code boxes you can copy the block of code and paste it into the console, which will automatically run it without you needing to type it. You will see some of my notes after a pound symbol - "#" - that is okay, as those comments will be ignored by the system. If you do want to type it, please note: capitalization, spacing, and spelling are all very important here.

Let's go to the directory in question here:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

If you are like me [C.k], you may not be able to open this file in finder. If that is the case, follow these instructions:

cd IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents
	cp Info.plist /Users/[username]/Desktop #"[username]" is your user name

From there, leave the console open and double-click the file on your desktop, and search for "iopciprimarymatch" by pressing "alt" and then "f" (or Edit -> Find).

Once you find that, look below it - you should see a string. Make the two lines look like this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x435311ab</string>

Now, search for the following:

88e8053

88e8055

88e8061

88e8062

When you find them, look a few lines down, and you will see more "IOPCIPrimaryMatch" keys, followed by strings. Make them match the information above in bold red text.

Once you have made the changes, choose File -> Save As and save it as "Info2" or similar. Go back to your console, and type in:

NOTE: you can't copy this block, because you need to replace "[username]" with your own username.

cp /Users/[username]/Desktop/Info2.txt .  #copies the file you edited to that directory [make sure to put that dot at the end]
	cp Info.plist Info.plist.backup   #this is a copy in case you messed up
	rm Info.plist  #deletes the old file
	mv Info2.txt Info.plist  #replaces that old file with the one you edited

Now the file you edited is in place and ready. Time to activate the driver! :)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions  #changes the owner
	chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext  #changes permissions
	cd ../..  #changes directory up two directories
	kextload AppleYukon2.kext

Hopefully, by now, you will see something pop up saying there is a new interface, yada yada ... set it up as you desire. Only one step to go!

Now, let's delete the Extensions.mkext, which will refresh the cache and allow the driver to work after reboot. :)

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
	kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

By the way, if you're not sure what to do to set up the network, just choose "DHCP" and be done with it.

Reboot, and if you have any questions, just ask away!

• 4 months later...