COD 4 to mac

lithium06

48 posts in this topic

According to the macrumors.com forums, the game runs as well as the Windows counterpart.

Not sure the system but one user got these frame rates..

CoD4 Windows - 35-60fps

CoD4 Mac - 30-60fps

Not too shabby, I'd say.

-Stell

Got my copy yesterday morning!

Runs just as well in OSX as it does in Windows, I have two nearly identical systems, both with x1950 gt graphics cards and I get 35 - 40 fps at 1440x900 with everything uphigh apart from AA and AF.

Although the sound isn't quite as 'surround' as the pc version, apart from that it is great to finally have it ported!

Why ? Because it's an OpenGL game right from the beginning and made for Linux which is pretty close to OSX (thanks to the Doom 3 engine).

But COD is a D3D game, not even out for Linux, so expect it to run like {censored} compared to its windows counterpart.

Call of Duty 2 uses the quake 3 engine, which is IDtech 3 and Doom 3 is IDtech 4. Quake 3 engine is based on opengl. But it's not that they're horrible coders, it's like you said, DX. It's not easy to port one platform to another like this.

Dunno where you saw that CoD2 uses Quake 3 engine but you are smoking dude. It's a home made engine. Only CoD 1 uses Quake 3 engine.

And again i was right on some point : while the port isn't that bad, it's still slower. Not even talking about FSAA...

I read that this needs leopard to run. I find that kinda annoying, some people don't want to upgrade to leopard, I have a mate who wants to get CoD4 but only has Tiger - he does a lot of home recording and is loathed to upgrade in case anything doesn't work anymore. Can it be installed using pacifist on tiger? Why do all new games need leopard?

I just got it, running it on a hackingtosh. Runs much better on xp/vista than on leopard.

Leopard : 25-55fps on multiplayer.

XP/Vista: 60-90fps

It also doesn't look as good on OSX. Can't say I'm not disappointed.

Hardware:

ASUS P5B-VM

4gb ddr2 800 ram

8800GT 512mb

2.4ghz C2Duo

If anyone has any tweaks that make this game run better, please let me know.

That's odd, we essentially have the same system except for the processor. I didn't think the game was that cpu intensive, I'm going to try overclocking to see if it makes a difference.

Actually, after testing it, I too saw some really {censored} fps. It's night and day with the Windows version and this one.

Also I cranked my CPU speed up a bit and did notice a boost in fps in OSX. It appears to be more CPU intensive in OSX than Windows.

-Stell

Well, OC'ed to 2.7ghz up from 2.4 and saw an increase of about 20-25fps. Now i'm running above 40 most of the time.

Hoping its a bug and they can release a patch for it, though its unlikely.

Oh well, been looking for an excuse to upgrade anyways. Any suggestions for a decent build that runs vanilla?

Thanks,

Gabe

Overclocking my E4300 from 1.8Ghz to 3.2Ghz really helps! My X1950GT has been overclocked to XTX speeds, but that doesn't seem to make too much difference, about 4fps from base to overclocked. The cpu puts about another 15fps on, running at 1440x900 with 2xAA and everything on. It runs pretty close to my other system which has identical hardware but runs XP and used to have the same 1950gt. I have recently upgraded the graphics card to a Nvidia 9600 GSO (my first Nvidia card since the GeForce 3 in my G4 Cube) I wish this card would work in OSX as it absolutely murders the 1950gt and only cost me £55 for the XXX overclocked version which is as quick as 8800GT but has a nice black PCB (which of course makes all the difference!)

One thing I have noticed though is the HDR makes the models look like they have been laminated when compaired to the XP version, but I'm sure they will tweak it with additional releases.

CoD4 SP crashes on launch (2-3 bounces then disappears) on my Hackintosh. Reinstalled. Installed 1.7 patch. BUT CoD4 MP works just great. WEIRD.

Hackintosh specs are 2.5 ghz C2Q, 4GB RAM, Asus P5K Deluxe/WiFi, Sapphire ATI 3870 512MB, etc. Leopard 10.5.5.

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA!!