AMD Systems

191 posts in this topic

See sig as well. I dont have it on my sys curently, but Im goin for it again this time using JaS 10.4.6 (I have HOTiso 10.4.6 as well, but the JaS release seems more thorough..). Ive installed 10.4.3, 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 all fine with the same issues each time: SPEED! I get a huge lag which makes it almost impossible to use Mac. Ive tried most everything to fix it, and cant figure the problem out. My networking and built in sound didnt work either, but that was inconsequential to me as I have a pci NIC that does work and Ill do a USB outboard sound option.

What sort of video card are you running? That may significantly affect speed if it doesn't support CI/QE. Have you run Xbench and seen what sort of scores you are getting? It may help pinpoint the weakness in your setup. I don't think reinstalling with different version of OsX will significantly affect your speed.

What sort of video card are you running? That may significantly affect speed if it doesn't support CI/QE. Have you run Xbench and seen what sort of scores you are getting? It may help pinpoint the weakness in your setup. I don't think reinstalling with different version of OsX will significantly affect your speed.

Specs are in my Sig. I think Ive found the reasons, its the deadly ATI issue. Seems ATI and Apple dont like each other much.

• 2 weeks later...

Os X 10.4.6

2 x Amd Dual Core Opteron 275 (2.2 Ghz per core) (3Ghz Dual Core AMD Opteron is shwon in os x)

8 GB Micron PC 3200 ECC REG (only 2,75 Gb is shown in os x)

Tyan Thunder K8WE s2895

PNY Quadro FX 4400 PCI-Express

40 GB IBM IDE Harddisk

Apple Keyboard

Apple Cinema Display 23

os x workling great but shake doesnt work.

i only install the sse2 cpu drivers, i tried the sse3 drivers but it didnt restarts os x;(

chhers

dressta

i have this setup:

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC939(Nforce 3 250)

Amd Athlon 3000+ Venice Core

Everything works except for my 6600GT and 6200 both don't have qe and ci.

By the way the person with an ATI card it does that with nforce 3 boards. There is some issue with those boards and ati video cards.

I got a AMD chip running yesterday. I was suprised at how much i'm enjoying the OS. Just seems so much sleeker.

Anywhoo here are my specs, it's a budget system all the way :P

AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6ghz Palermo

Gigabyte KV8M800M

ATI Radeon 9200 128mb ram

512+256 ram

Though i'm having troubles. the Compatibility list sais that LAN, Sound, USB, Sata works. I haven't heard sound, haven't tried though, Ethernet doesn't work, USB mouse doesn't work. GO figure, I hope I can figure them out. If I can't, then I have to head back to windows. A real shame, I'm realy enjoying OSX.

almost same as yours...

AMD sempron 2800+ 2.0ghz palermo core

Gigabyte KV8T800

ATI Radeon 9550XT 128mb RAM

1.25gb RAM

sound -- works

LAN -- works

USB -- blazing fast

Video -- QE, Q2E, CI supported :D

but slow on HDD transfer :P and btw, my usb mose works. OS X ROCKS!!!

My system is running like hell on this system:

Abit AV8 3rd Eye with Bios rev 23. (The newer bios gimme wrong temperatures on my external hardware monitor"

Opteron 146 occed up to 2500 (more is possible, but i don´t need it)

Saphire x1600 Pro 256mb agp

Realtek 8139 Nic

Soundblaster live 5.1 USB

Samsung 40 gb pata (mac os system Disk)

ibm 60gb ide (Storage and for test systems)

ibm 15gb ide (old xbox hadd with windows 98 to flash sometimes on it)

Samsung 200gb sata (storgage)

nec dual dvd burner

1gb mdt single sided ram, dual chan enabled

what to say...i get around 67 x-bench score, my system don´t hang or stutter sometimes.i don´t care about x-bench some ppl show more than 100 points here..i know, if i play unreal tournament i get >100 fps, this is what i wanna see..)

i use to have 5-10 Apps open the same time, fully using of virtual desktop (even 6 desktops are too less sometime;) )means, multitasking runs fine.

It runs as fast, or maybee faster than i can remember my windows on this machine here.

USB is fully supported, ide & sata, too as u can see. The onboard sound is shown in the audio setup with analog and digital out. maybee it works, but i don´tlike this 50 cent cmedia-sound on my prett fine dolby surround system, so i tried 1 time and disabled. was running just on 1 chan (the analog output).

*snipp*

some ppl wrote here, the are not able to run their kernel in sse3...if u changed your kernel to sse3 (4 example, me just use 2 patches, base and amd patch), you changed your amd enabler? Search for the actual .4.5 solution pack of maxxus, take amd enabler,

change line 2&3 of cpu_idpatches.txt....

run the script (./patch cpu_idblah...)

change the .txt again (mean change line 2&3 again)

do the patch again.

start booting, it may help.

4 lazy ppl...i changed the .txt file on my desktop, so i got 2 cpu_id.txt. then i changed my kernel, and copied as mach3_kernel to my root dir.

rebooted in -x -s

patched the id´s and did a reboot...

if darwin bootloader appears, type in mach3_kernel -v and pray that it boot

sers,

codo

Apple OS X Tiger 10.4.5

Gigabyte K8VT800M

AMD Athlon 3000+ @ 2.15GHZ - Venice Core - SSE 3

ATI Radeon X850XT AGP

2GB Corsair XMS PC 3200 @ 2-3-2-5

1X WD 250GB IDE , 1X WD 80GB IDE

AOPEN DVD-RW , ASUS DVD

Everything works , QE/CI , ethernet , sound , hd controller etc , ect. I <3 my computer :)

@sgi02, How much patching (if any) did you have to do? What needed patching? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the entire configuration?

I am looking to upgrade my 2400+ Athlon MP, and would like to dual boot to OS X on the new system.

I was wondering if people that have successfully (or un) installed OS X on their AMD based system could give me a brief list of their hardward and what compatability issues they ran into (if any).

Hopefully with the feedback from forum members I'll be able to tailor my system to be as hassle free as possible.

I was hoping to get a 3800+ X2 Cpu, and a 6800+ NVidia GFX card -- the MB is really up in the air though i do like ASUS.

Thanks!

Are there any AMD-based configurations out there that require little to no patching. I don't particularly have an aversion to patching...in fact, I'd probably find it a blast; I'm just curious as I want to start building and selling PCs that have such compatibility with OS X86 (which I wouldn't sell with the machines I build :angel: ).

• 3 weeks later...

My setup is running amazing - i have a 2.0ghz amd64 laptop its an emachines. It performs far better then my sse3 intel celeron d, rosetta handles much better and parallels is speedy. I lucked out because my intergrated br0adcom, ac97 and my ati9600 mobility all perform excellently. I notice no difference in quake 4 on my powerbook or emachines. Both have similar gfx and the AMD64 handles all applications better. AMD64\'s are definatly the way to go, I could not be happier.

I have it running natively on my HP Pavilion dv5020us laptop. Version 10.4.6.

AMD Turion ML-34 1.8ghz SSE3

1GB RAM

ATI 200M Integrated Graphics / Chipset

DVD-RAM drive (dunno if it's supported)

Wireless supported, but the sound and USB do not work. I can't get past "waiting for root device" if I don't disable one or other of the USB or PS2 drivers. It's annoying. I also have to constantly rekextcache (read: delete the cache files in Windows using MacDrive).

I had to install in VMWare, considering I couldn't get past "waiting for root device" if I booted from the DVD.

Hi All!

CPU: Athlon64 3000+

MB: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinium nForce3 Ultra

RAM: 2x512 Kingston (Dual chanel) Kit

HDD: 160/7200/8 SATA + 40GB PATA

Sound: Creative Audigy + internal sound

Video Sapphire Radeon X1600Pro AGP 256 MB

PowerSupply CHIEFTEC 340W

all work well ! VGA support QE and all other stuf. I acces SATA disk in MACOSX buth read only.

• 2 weeks later...

Mac OS X is running fine now on my system:

I've used the Mac OS X 10.4.6 JaS prepatched DVD :)

Asus A8V

- USB is working with the latest USB Drivers from apple

Athlon64 3500+ SSE3

1 GB DDR RAM

HIS X1600 Pro IceQ > running fine with the installer from the tutorial thread here

USB Soundblaster Live! 24Bit 5.1 sound using the spdif > sweet! (used the jas patch)

Realtek Ethernet with 81xx Chip (100mbps) is workin without any patches

Samsung S162L DVD Writer is working fine with Toast

Hewlett Packard 916C Printer is working fine with Gnome beta drivers

Trekstor MP3 Player is working fine

Agfa Snapscan e20 Scanner > not tested so far

I'll leave windows on my system for VS and Gaming, but for the rest i want to move to mac os x, its so sweet .... :D

• 4 weeks later...

My System:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (SSE2, 3.0 GHz) water cooled

Motherboard: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe (VIA K8T800, VT8237), skge.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3 for fix USB issues.

HDD: 40Gb Western Digital IDE, 120Gb Seagate IDE, 160Gb Seagate SATA, 400Gb Seagate SATA.

RAM: 2Gb OCZ ECC

Video: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro PC/Mac Edition (fully functional)

Audio: AUDIOTRAK Maya EX 5.1 USB

Wired Network: Integrated Marwell Yukon (worked)

Wireless Network: Belkin High-Speed Wireless G Desktop Network Card 125G (recognized as AirPort Extreme Card), Billiontone Bluetooth 1 Class USB.

Drive: Pioneer DVR-111DBK (SuperDrive)

Monitor: LCD ViewSonic VX700-3

Other: Agfa SnapScan e52, D-Link ADSL Router 504-T, Apple Pro Keyboard, Nec FireWire PCI Controller, ALI USB PCI Controller...

OSs: Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8J135a), FreeBSD 6.0, OpenSolaris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Just thought I'd drop in and say that i have successfully installed OSX on my AMD System.

My Hardware Specs:

Motherboard: EVGA AMD Nforce4 SLI (133-K8-NF41-AX)

CPU: AMD 64 3700+ OC'd to 2.4GHz

Ram: 1GB PQI Turbo Ram DDR400 @ 418

Optical: Lite-On Dual Layer DVD Burner

HD: 320GB SATA2 w/XP Professional

20GB PATA w/OSX 86 10.4.6

Video: EVGA 7900GT @ 550/1580

Sound: C-Media 18738

Realtek Integrated 8 Channel Audio (AC97)

I was able to get my ethernet working thanks to the driver i found on InsanelyMac

( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=nforce4+lan )

I have yet to find a functional audio driver for my hardware, or a driver for my Video card that will enable any robust 3d acceleration.

I guess you can take this for what its worth. I would also like to hear from anyone who has been able to find a solution to my problems.

Thnx,

Cjenk

ok i have 10.4.6 working natively on my acer ferrari 4000 series laptop, everything except bluetooth is working.

my system is

Acer ferrari 4002wlmi

Processor: AMD Turion 64 ML30 1.6GHz

Motherboard: ATI X200 chipset

HDD: 80 GB Toshiba

RAM: 512 MB

Video: ATI Radeon X700 mobility(qe and ci working using kovergs patch)

Audio: ATI onboard ac97 sound

Wired Network: Brodacom Netlink (working using Applebcm5751.kext)

Wireless Network: Broadcom (recognized as AirPort Extreme Card after patching io80211family.kext with device id), Broadcom bluetooth(not working)

Drive: Mat{censored}a dvd ram drive (SuperDrive)

PC

Multiboot with windows Bootloader (WinXP+Mac OSx 10.4.7+SuSE 10.1)

MAINBOARD: A8N SLI Deluxe

CPU: AMDx2 4600+

MEMORY: 2 GB DDR400

GRAPHICS: Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCIE 256 MB (Macvidia Driver 1280x1024)

NETWORKING: Onboard : Marvell Yukon + Nvidia Gigabit Ethernet (both working fine)

STORAGE: NForce4 Controller : 300 gb SATA2 (WinXP) + 2x250 gb SATA2 Drive + 200 gb SATA2 Drive

Silicon Image 3114 : 160 gb SATA (does not work in MacOS)

PATA Controller : 300 gb IDE (MAC OS + SuSE 10.1)

SOUND: Onboard AC87

MONITOR: Acer AL1715

INPUT: Logitech MX 700

PC

Multiboot with windows Bootloader (WinXP+Mac OSx 10.4.7+SuSE 10.1)

MAINBOARD: A8N SLI Deluxe

CPU: AMDx2 4600+

MEMORY: 2 GB DDR400

GRAPHICS: Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCIE 256 MB (Macvidia Driver 1280x1024)

NETWORKING: Onboard : Marvell Yukon + Nvidia Gigabit Ethernet (both working fine)

STORAGE: NForce4 Controller : 300 gb SATA2 (WinXP) + 2x250 gb SATA2 Drive + 200 gb SATA2 Drive

Silicon Image 3114 : 160 gb SATA (does not work in MacOS)

PATA Controller : 300 gb IDE (MAC OS + SuSE 10.1)

SOUND: Onboard AC87

MONITOR: Acer AL1715

INPUT: Logitech MX 700

I have almost the same configuration.

I have the Logitech MX 3000, and ATI Radeon and 250gb sata HD. I have the same MOBO and Processor. I have the Jas 10.4.6 and am able to do installation but with out SSE2 or SSE3. I have tried each one. I have tried them together and nothing. So the os began to load without those. But I got the message about missing my keyboard and soon after that I get the error telling me to restart and then nothing else afterwards, Can someone please help me get this going right. Thank you......

I have not tried to run OS X on generic PC hardware on AMD processors, but since many of people who do seem to have similar problems, I thought I would point a few things out.

First off, the stuttering problem many of you seem to experience with dual core or dual processor systems is probably related to a stuttering problem that many Windows users have or had with 3d applications with AMD processors. The newest Windows driver for Athlon 64 processors fixed the problem. The official fix explanation from AMD's website is this:

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This is probably the problem. Someone more experienced than me could probably write a driver for OS X using the source code for the linux driver as a reference. The source is available at AMD's website for the Linux driver. One advanage is that an OS X could also include power saving functionality not currently present.

Next off, if one is going to buy a new AMD system that would run OS X. I would suggest for maximum compatibility buying an ASUS A8R32-MVP for Socket 939 boards or an MSI K9A Platinum for Socket AM2 boards. ATI chipset boards use either the ATI SB600 and the ULi M1575 Southbridges and have SATA ports that use the AHCI standard which uses the same standard, AHCI, and probably the same drivers as the Intel SATA ports found on Apple Macs. nForce boards use a propriatary standard for their SATA ports, drivers would have to be written to use the SATA ports in native mode. However if emulated PATA mode is available in the BIOS on nForce boards this would somewhat bypass the problem. Also there is a greater chance that the LAN controllers would have official and stable OS X drivers, unlike nForce boards which appear to have drivers that are neither yet.