10.4.3 LiveCD ALMOST Complete

REVENGE

71 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've ALMOST created a bootable LiveCD of OS X 10.4.3 8F1111. I did this by getting Clone X, creating a dmg, dumping the dmg's contents, adding rosetta and the darwin bootloader, and finally putting it all into the original 10.4.3 install dvd image which I had emptied earlier. The big problem now is that when I boot the dvd, there are a bunch of errors regarding file permission, etc. I can't run repair disk permissions on this dmg in OS X because it its being mounted as read only. I need to use this dmg because i need the bootable information table at the beginning of the disk which references the darwin bootloader. I don't know how to append the boot table to a converted iso file because the file contains hfs partitions and UltraISO can only read, not write hybird cds. Can someone give me help in either getting a dmg to undergo repair disk permissions, or manually adding the boot table to the dmg file?

Btw, right now, i boot into wat looks like the single user mode shell. I'm almost certain that if i can get past this problem, the LiveCD will boot GUI.

A little more details: this was done using the program made by TED called CloneX. It runs using rosetta on 10.4.3 without a hitch. It creates a DMG file of your specified size and then adds essential system files. Then, it lets you choose watever applications you want to fill the free space left on your DMG. Then, you can either burn it or save it for later. What i did was I created a very basic dmg, then I viewed it using transmac. I found that almost all necessary files were included, and only the i386 folder in /usr/standalone and the rosetta folder in /usr/libexec were missing.

Actually, the command to use is hdiutil attach -readwrite /imagename. I'm rebuilding the new image right now, and im gonna see if vmware's gonna work with it this time around.

UPDATE: i used hdiutil attach -readwrite -owners on /Live.dmg. It attached allowing me to verify disk permissions, but the damn thing came up with no valid packages found error.

Got repair permissions to do the trick. I had to copy my /Library/Receipts folder over. Now, im waiting to get this thing back into windows and test it out using vmware. If I'm successful, you'll see a new thread up!

If it works, it should because the CD/DVD would use watever mach_kernel file you used in the system you made the dmg in.

DAMMIT: I'm getting an error 1309 when trying to copy the image file to my iPod. I've just been delayed another 30 minutes at least, because now I'm going to do an image conversion in disk util and save it on my iPod.

Quick note:

When you want to play with an image, use:

hdiutil attach filename.ext -shadow

and it'll mount it read/write, allow you to change it, but preserve it's original status (i.e. bootable iso, etc.) when you unmount it.

man hdiutil

for more details

Note - if you're burning a test disc, go into Disc Util and burn it *while mounted*.

mindslip

Thankyou mindslip, but right now i need to get this damned thing to my windows partition. This has proved to be an exceptional challenge due to the fact that FAT32 cannot accept files bigger than 4 gb. I've obtained stuffit and im splitting it right now.

{censored}. Late last night, I was able to mount the converted iso of my dmg and try booting with VMWare again. This time, I got past the initial loading of kexts, but then I was shot down by a series of "error mapping module" errors to various things. Stuff about not being mach-o and dependencies not found/mapped. I will try to post a screenshot of the damn thing, but it looks like more tweaking needs to be done. I'm going to do some comparisons btw my image, the 10.4.3 installer dvd, and my actual system when I get back to my comp. In the meantime, any ideas?

Hey guys. I've ALMOST created a bootable LiveCD of OS X 10.4.3 8F1111. I did this by getting Clone X, creating a dmg, dumping the dmg's contents, adding rosetta and the darwin bootloader, and finally putting it all into the original 10.4.3 install dvd image which I had emptied earlier. The big problem now is that when I boot the dvd, there are a bunch of errors regarding file permission, etc. I can't run repair disk permissions on this dmg in OS X because it its being mounted as read only. I need to use this dmg because i need the bootable information table at the beginning of the disk which references the darwin bootloader. I don't know how to append the boot table to a converted iso file because the file contains hfs partitions and UltraISO can only read, not write hybird cds. Can someone give me help in either getting a dmg to undergo repair disk permissions, or manually adding the boot table to the dmg file?

Btw, right now, i boot into wat looks like the single user mode shell. I'm almost certain that if i can get past this problem, the LiveCD will boot GUI.

Revenge, I've send you a Pm about this because I've pass this step a week ago, this was the easy part.

First you need to check things: Did you set proper Ramdisk? because Tiger needs to write into something to be able to boot. Second Is not better we associate together to finish either your or my project to make the realease quickly?

See my post "http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=9879"

The way you did you live disk is insteresting but quite complicated : In my site Area86.info go to the section links, there is interresting ressources for you. Hope we can achieve this dream together since i'm full of works to complete and i already sparing all my free time to this.

hurray someone else is workin on it I just wasted a dvd trying this last method though the good news is I have a darwin booter in case the mbr gets corrupt :S lol i'm gonna check out your site

(edit) ...checked out the site... oh boy links. I could have found those on google... Oh and look theres a LINK to google. I was hoping for some useful information. Oh well it's more fun to do it the hard way.

hurray someone else is workin on it I just wasted a dvd trying this last method though the good news is I have a darwin booter in case the mbr gets corrupt :S lol i'm gonna check out your site

(edit) ...checked out the site... oh boy links. I could have found those on google... Oh and look theres a LINK to google. I was hoping for some useful information. Oh well it's more fun to do it the hard way.

I could but didn't... :blink:. So far I going to post my tutorial in few hours, just need to ,finish a work for a client first, then you will have a point to start.

Tiger use a different boot method than sooner Os X. If you have a mac and have Panther or sooner Try the BootCd Soft, i will help you find some answer. So far I see 3 people :angel: including me doing that. I don't any compatible AMD proc i need beta test to see if my work does the job it. I've made the Cd In Os X since working under XP seems to be a waste of time for that. It's even better to work under PPC environement to do it but the Macbook pro is fine too.

lol alright cool I'll be waiting anxiously

I'm almost sad, every time I start a new project somebody beats me to it and my lazyness forces me to abandon my own work in favor of their already working solution... so until I see your method my work continues haha I'm actually pretty happy with what I've got going so far this is good fun