[guide] Leopard install on Acer Aspire 5570Z (and 3680?)

ergosteur

59 posts in this topic

Update (31 July 2008): Remove mouse tearing by using the gma950.pkg from iATKOS 2.0/4.0 gma950.pkg.zip

Update (5 June 2008): sleep works with Vanilla 9.1.0 kernel and USB EHCI fix!

Update (8 April 2008): sound works through both internal speakers and headphone jack! See below.

I've seen many people who have the Acer Aspire 5570Z, but a google search of the site for 5570z brings mostly people with problems, not fixes. Since I have mine pretty much fully working (card reader doesn't work), I figured I'd make a comprehensive how-to.

(actually, now this is the first result on google for "aspire 5570z leopard" :( )

My system specs can be seen in my sig.

NOTE: I replaced the original Atheros AR5007EG with a Gigabyte GN-WI01GT (AR5006EGS) because it is supported natively in Ubuntu gutsy and it supports SuperG mode.

Edit: Good news everyone! My Dell 1390 and Apple AirPort AR5006EXS cards also work fine. However, no luck with the original AR5007EG/AR5BXB63.

Here goes:

Part 1: Install Leopard

Obtain a copy of the iATKOS 1.0ir2 DVD. Install using the appropriate options; I used EFI, but not the vanilla kernel or ACPIPlatform (to enable battery indicator), and installed the speedstep package and Netkas SMBIOS. I also did not select any of the Network patches.

If you want sleep, install the vanilla kernel but not the speedstep package. You also need to install a USB patch after install (see part 8).

To clarify, the options I selected were:

• Darwin EFI bootloader
  • speedstep (don't install if you want sleep!)
  • Vanilla kernel (DO install if you want sleep!)
  • Remove Thermal Kexts
  • Netkas SMBIOS (also works fine without)

IMPORTANT: Make sure that the name of the partition where you install leopard doesn't have any space in it. for example "Macintosh HD" will not work, but "MacHD" is fine. It's a bug in iATKOS and Kalyway's bootloader scripts apparently.

Part 2: Networking

The OEM Atheros AR5007EG does NOT work with OSX.

The Atheros AR5006EG/Gigabyte GN-WI01T, AR5006EXS (Apple Airport) and Broadcom 4311 (Dell 1390) are supported out-of the box by Leopard. However the PCI bus on these laptops is not configured correctly by Mac OS-this will be resolved in Part 3.

You need to patch your IONetworkingFamily.kext/AppleYukon2.kext for the Marvell 88E8038. Download this: IONetworkingFamily_Yukon88E8038.kext.zip and install.

To do it manually, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents and edit the Info.plist as follows:

1. Find this section
    <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>
    <dict>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
    <key>EnableLowPwr</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>IOClass</key>
    <string>yukon2osx</string>
    <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    <string>0x436211ab</string>
    <key>IOProviderClass</key>
    <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
    <key>MACNumber</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Model</key>
  2. Change it so that it reads
    <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>
    <dict>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
    <key>EnableLowPwr</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>IOClass</key>
    <string>yukon2osx</string>
    <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
    <string>0x435211ab</string>
    <key>IOProviderClass</key>
    <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
    <key>MACNumber</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Model</key>
    That is, change 0x436211ab to 0x435211ab.
  3. Save and repair permissions.

After this, your wired and wireless LAN still won't work, since we haven't patched the PCI yet.

Part 3: PCI/Cardbus

After installing, neither the wired or wireless lan will be working. This seems to be because the Acer BIOS doesn't initialize the PCI (Express) bus properly. Fortunately, chun-nan has done some great work and solved the problem.

Get chun-nan's IOPCIFamily: chun_nan_IOPCIFamily.10.5.2.beta_for_Marvell88E8038.zip (original thread). Install and repair permissions.

Reboot.

Now your Cardbus/PCMCIA slot works, and your wired and wireless lan should be detected.

Part 4: Sound

You'll notice that the sound is already working through the internal speakers. To get the headphone and line-in jack to work, you'll need to use the ALC883 installer pkg from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520. Customize the installation and select the 6ports option and deselct the 3ports.

(Thanks to twobunnyrabbit, original thread here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64580)

Taruga's AppleHDA patcher 1.20. Note however that this causes the internal speakers to stop working.

Here is my linux codec dump: ALC883_AS5570Z.txt

Part 5: Battery status indicator

Install jaro12345's PowerManagement.bundle.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80425

Part 6: Touchpad scrolling

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

Edit:

Part 7: AppleSMBIOS.kext

Using macdotnub's AppleSMBIOS.kext, you can make your system identify it self as a MacBook2,1.

http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/19/26/

Part 8: Sleep

If you want sleep, be sure you selected EFI and the vanilla kernel, and did NOT select the speedstep package.

Then, install this USB patch:

USBEHCI_Updater.pkg.zip

(thanks the_uman, twobunnyrabbit and superhai)

Part 9: Fix mouse tearing (GMA950)

Install this updated kext: gma950.pkg.zip

There you have it, enjoy your Acer MacBook!

Many thanks to chun-nan, taruga, the osx86-turk team and everyone else involved in making this possible.

Edited by matthieu/ergosteur

Dude!

Holy {censored}! Awesome...5570z here thought I'd never get networking functioning, but it is...Awesome.

Wireless is still nonfunctional, I have a 1390 in there now, and have tried a 1490, AND the Atheros AR5BXB63,

but nuthin so far...but wired works! as a side note the system profiler says no information on pci cards.

Thanks!

Dude!

Holy {censored}! Awesome...5570z here thought I'd never get networking functioning, but it is...Awesome.

Wireless is still nonfunctional, I have a 1390 in there now, and have tried a 1490, AND the Atheros AR5BXB63,

but nuthin so far...but wired works! as a side note the system profiler says no information on pci cards.

Thanks!

My 1390 works.... I swapped it for the giga-byte card and OSX detected it as 'Third Party Wireless Card'. Also, my system profiler says 'This system does not appear to have any PCI cards installed.'

Also, what do you mean by 'nonfunctional'? Is the card detected in System Profiler? Does it show up in Network Prefs? Sounds stupid, I know, but the first time I installed iATKOS and did all the patching, Leopard set up my wireless as en0 and wired as en1, even though both were detected. I swapped them in NetworkInterfaces.plist and all was fine.

Will that work on my Aspire 5720ZG??? I was seraching the net for a succesful install on that kind a laptop, bit no luck! I had also no luck to install in on my laptop! Any help?
I don't know... I think the 57xx are the new 'round' acer laptops. the 5570Z is the old 'classic' thin silver design, with the acer logo in the top-right corner of the lid.

ergosteur:

Yeah, not even there, but I need to do a clean install to make this work, probably.

They usually show up after the install but don't work, then once I install the USB nic

they both go away. I'm going to re-install and use your guide, I think it will work this way.

EDIT:

Erased it, and installed fresh by your guide. Did the kext insertions and edits, got a kernel

panic, started in safe, and restarted fine, got the wireless, and wired LAN working woohoo

I do my sound different than your guide, and all is right...

It was Parallels that was messing the existing install/ networking up it sets up two virtual

adapters that bump out the initial adapters...but it's fixed now...

Installing Parallels now (cross your fingers)

Awesome, Thanks!!!!

No luck on my Aspire 5720Z. No LAN and no WiFi. Everything else works! :-(

@spoom

It might be a good idea to add your specs/components to your sig, so that people can help you out more easily.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got everything to work except WIFI/LAN.

Basically, my computer is more or less stock and identical. With the WIFI adapter, it's labelled as an AR5BMB5 chip (some internet searching turned up that it was an AR5005G chip - though some list the 5570Z as using the problematic 5007 chip).

I'm running 10.5.2 (updated from 10.5.1 Kalyway). Everything else works great.

Any ideas? I've tried running various modified IO80211Family.kext files and they either return errors or don't work (even after permission repairs in disk utility).

IOPCIFamily.kext likes to kernal panic on boot whenever I edit it. However, once I get into safemode (by pressing down shift), the panic goes away for subsequent reboots.

If your AR5007 was also marked as AR5BMB5, maybe I really do have an AR5007 chip. In that case, would a Gigabyte GN-WI01GS(1.0) work? Note the 'S'. I cannot find a T version (the one you used) for sale.

Thanks

which copy of iATKOS did you get?

i got the iATKOS v1.0i and it wont even install. i get stuck.

im getting the iATKOS 10.i R2 Patcher right now.

let me know, i have the exact same laptop. i been trying to get wifi to work for the longest. I also have a 10.4.9 uphuck DVD, can i just install something on it like a patch or something that would make the wifi work?

which copy of iATKOS did you get?i got the iATKOS v1.0i and it wont even install. i get stuck.im getting the iATKOS 10.i R2 Patcher right now.let me know, i have the exact same laptop. i been trying to get wifi to work for the longest. I also have a 10.4.9 uphuck DVD, can i just install something on it like a patch or something that would make the wifi work?
Yeah i'm using iATKOS r2. the original one didn't install for me either. For Tiger, you could try using Chun-nan's 10.4 kext for PCI/PCMCIA found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81048
So I got everything to work except WIFI/LAN.Basically, my computer is more or less stock and identical. With the WIFI adapter, it's labelled as an AR5BMB5 chip (some internet searching turned up that it was an AR5005G chip - though some list the 5570Z as using the problematic 5007 chip).I'm running 10.5.2 (updated from 10.5.1 Kalyway). Everything else works great.Any ideas? I've tried running various modified IO80211Family.kext files and they either return errors or don't work (even after permission repairs in disk utility).IOPCIFamily.kext likes to kernal panic on boot whenever I edit it. However, once I get into safemode (by pressing down shift), the panic goes away for subsequent reboots.If your AR5007 was also marked as AR5BMB5, maybe I really do have an AR5007 chip. In that case, would a Gigabyte GN-WI01GS(1.0) work? Note the 'S'. I cannot find a T version (the one you used) for sale.Thanks
the sticker on my laptop says AR5BXB63. My older Aspire 3620 has an AR5BMB5 and it is an AR5005G, but it's MiniPCI, not MiniPCI express. The GN-WI01GS is a MiniPCI card and the GT is a Mini PCIE card. Windows will tell you if you have a 5007 or 5005. Also, check the form factor of the card (MiniPCI Express cards are about half the size of MiniPCI cards). My OEM AR5007EG was a PCI-express card (hence the EG).

MiniPCI and MiniPCIe cards are incompatible. If you're looking for a PCI express card that will work with OSX, the Dell 1390 is cheap and plentiful on ebay. It's Broadcom 4311 based, works fine with windows and OSX. Getting it to work on Linux can be a bit of a chore however. Alternatively, you can get a real AirPort card from a macbook.

thnx a lot! This really helped me out installing Leo.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD instead. I had some trouble but i got everything working on my laptop except bluetooth.

Has anyone followed this process but used the Stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the Stock Kernel?
Stock ACPIPlatform and Kernel work for me, but then speedstep doesn't work.
hey you guys get sleep to work? mines dont work. and how about blue tooth?
My laptop sleeps, but doesn't wake up.I don't have the internal bluetooth module, but i bought a cheap USB one on ebay and it works as soon as i plug it in.

i have 5720Z i made the sound working using tarugas AppleHDA.kext (though aptop shuts down when use)

LAN and WiFi not working, Tried couple of hex editing for the LAN to work

someone on some thread even uploaded a kext edited for 5720Z but had dependency error

Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M

Atheros AR5BXB63

Realtek ALC268

Stock ACPIPlatform and Kernel work for me, but then speedstep doesn't work.My laptop sleeps, but doesn't wake up.I don't have the internal bluetooth module, but i bought a cheap USB one on ebay and it works as soon as i plug it in.

My bluetooth is detected but it doesnt pick up my mouse, but my iMac does.

My sleep does work but like you it doesnt wake up.

• 2 weeks later...
hey you guys get sleep to work? mines dont work. and how about blue tooth?

Looks like sleep works with a USB patch, at least that's the report from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry737171

Supposedly it sleeps *and resumes*. I'll give this a try after I buy the Gigabyte cards for the wireless. In the meantime, if anyone gets that to work, it will be great.

FYI, I used Kalyway 10.5.2 and the above info to get things going, although I did have to get an older version of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (sorry, can't remember which thread I found it in).

I just did the Kalyway 10.5.3 update and had to overwrite AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext to get things working again.

Looks like sleep works with a USB patch, at least that's the report from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry737171

Supposedly it sleeps *and resumes*. I'll give this a try after I buy the Gigabyte cards for the wireless. In the meantime, if anyone gets that to work, it will be great.

Trying this out now. Have it installed, rebooted. *fingers crossed* Apple Menu>Sleep

Will report back soon.

Sleep DOES NOT work with the speedstep kernel from iATKOS 1.0ir2. I installed the 9.0.0 vanilla kernel and can confirm that the laptop DOES sleep and wake up fine. However because of the version mismatch between kernel and System.kext, usb devices don't mount. Can someone PM me the 9.1.0 vanilla kernel?

With the vanilla kernel from the 10.5.1 update sleep works great!

Edited by ergosteur

Just a note on installing the Vanilla kernel:

If you installed the speedstep package originally, then change to the vanilla kernel, you might get a kernel panic. Be sure to backup the speedstep kernel (rename it to mach_speedstep or something). Then remove the speedstep app by deleting the following files:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.uphuck.speedstep.plist

/Applications/SpeedStep.app

(I think that's it, someone confirm please)

Great news about the sleep, Matt!

One question-- without the speedstep, does your Acer run hot?

BTW, I want to thank you so much for the guide and the advice. I purchased a couple of Gigabyte Wl010GT cards on your advice, and initially I couldn't get them to work, even with the zipped 10.5 IO80211Family.kext. I got the dreaded HAL Status 13, which I thought meant that Gigabyte had upgraded the Atheros chip to the dreaded AR5007 chip. Which would would be the same chip as originally in the Acer!

As a last chance, I downloaded the Apple 2008-01 Airport Extreme update, extracted the Archive.pax.gz, and resulting IO80211Family.kext, and installed it.

It worked! on Tiger in the Gateway MX8738 I was testing it on. Now I hope to follow your guide for my son's Acer. He has a 5570z.

-uman