Prevent resolution autodetect

Millsy

4 posts in this topic

I have an Aten 1672 KVM switch, with my mac pro and pc connected to a Benq 2091.

When I switch away from the mac, then back, all of the windows that were open are now all resized, moved around, and generally messed up.

It also takes it's sweet time to refresh and reset back to 1600X1200. What it's doing is auto-detecting the monitor, then not finding one when the KVM switches away. So it defaults down to 1024X768.

I ether want:

a) A way to prevent this from happening at all.

:D A way to change the resolution to something OSX doesn't think is possible

c) A way to change the resolution from terminal (NO NOT THE 'on startup' PLIST FIX)

Is any of that possible

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem with ATEN KVM1764. The interesting thing is, this happens only on the machine that runs Leopard. The machine that runs Tiger is unaffected by the KVM switching. This proves that it is a software issue with Leopard, not a hardware problem with the switch.

As for a way to prevent it, I haven't found anything yet. :P

In order to change the monitor resolution to a non-supported setting, use the utility SwitchResX

• 5 months later...

The change of monitor/display resolution was caused that using a KVM switch which is not storing DDC data communication between monitor and connected system. Then, when you change/select to different connected system, OS of connected system did not have any DDC data so the OS will be set back to the "default" resolution setup.

I know that there are only a few of KVM manufacturer offing models support "real-time DDC" update to all connected systems.

I had the same problem, and looking around online I was able to find somewhat of a workaround. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

The problem is that when your Mac has focus it's getting the EFID of your monitor. When you switch away it gets the EFID of the KVM.

What you can do is have the resolution for the KVM match you normal resolution. To do this, enable VNC display sharing. Switch to one of your other computers, and connect. The resolution should be 1024x768 since the mac thinks the KVM is it's monitor right now. Use SwitchresX to add in your desired resolution as a custom resolution, and set that to the default display resolution for the KVM. Once that's done, even when you switch away the computer will hold the resolution.

The problem though is that even the the resolution stays the same, it will still blink out for a second when switching. The only way I saw to fix that was with something like a DVI Detective: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4714

Apparently you can set that to fool the computer into thinking your monitor is always connected. Once that's done it should not try to adjust again. Only drawback is those boxes are needed for each machine giving you problems, so at $70 each they can add up.