USB Apple Ethernet problems...

SilverSix311

6 posts in this topic

Aight so i bought a D-link 530tx+ the other day and that wasn't recognized at all by my MAC, so i went and bought the $30 Apple USB Ethernet adapter. I plug it in, it shows the USB adapter under the System Profiler thing, but nothing in the network preferences. I tried installing the USB drivers i found on the internet for it but still nothing... It just won't see it as a network device. Any ideas?

*EDIT*

Aight so i was looking in my extensions folder and i heard your SUPPOSED to have AppleUSBEthernet.kext or something along those words in there. I dont see it and i guess that is why it is not working. Would anyone wanna send me the kext or gimme a link somewhere i can get it? Can someone please help...

*EDIT 2*

I found the AppleUSBEthernet.kext but why is my adapter not being shown at all i would really like some help here!!!

From what I've read, the Apple USB Ethernet creates a fixed BSD-based name "en0". Now, if you have a built-in ethernet that was detected as en0 (which is likely), then that MAYBE the reason for the conflict.

Now, If I am on the same situation, (which means this is purely experimental and based on a trial-and-error method with a benefit of adequate intellect of OSX86 power-userness), install the USB 2.0 driver below

http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html (just read for the USB 2.0)

then make a backup copy of AppleUSBEthernet.kext thing and delete the said kext on the IONetworkingFamily.kext and reboot. Don't forget to repair permissions. then try inserting it again, then add the new ethernet device on the network preferences via the plus sign.. You know the drill.

If that doesn't work, undo all the changes by reinstalling the AppleUSBEthernet.kext manually or via a Kext INstaller then find another solution. ^_~

I just hope this would be helpful. ( i think not. >_>)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

MacGirl, can you help with providing the kext ?

I have the USB and 10.5.2 after upgrade.

Many thanks

*EDIT*

OK.. sorry. I got it here :

The $30+ Apple USB to Ethernet Adapter is now working

just by adding the AppleUSBEthernet.kext into /System/Library/Extensions

[iATKOSv1 + Kaliway ComboUpdate 10.5.2]

Thanks Macgirl

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...152&t=73902