New official Realtek LAN Drivers (v2.0.0) for Leopard

Eidola

7 posts in this topic

Realtek has posted a new driver for their network cards that work in both Tiger and Leopard.

Actually, the driver is a replacement for the kext found inside the Contents/Plugins folder of the IONetworkingFamily.kext and is working great on my 10.5.2 system.

Here are the links to the direct download and the information page.

Have fun and enjoy an official driver! ;)

Just an update... with these drivers and the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext the Bonjour system seems to utterly break.

I can still connect to computers on the local network via IP Address, but the systems do not show up under Network or in the Sidebar... usually. When they do show up (which is rare) they disappear the second mounts or screenshare attempts are made.

I have since resumed using the RealtekR1000.kext driver which works perfectly with Bonjour, though when getting a DHCP address it first gives itself a self-assigned IP Address, then about 10 seconds later gets the correct DHCP address. With the official drivers the DHCP address is acquired straight away with no self-assigned address occuring first.

So for my system, running a Gigabyte P35-DS3L, I have to use the RealtekR1000.kext driver in order to gain Bonjour services, and all other networking seems to work fine with this driver.

• 2 months later...

Just to let anyone with a D-Link DFE690TXD that this driver works with OS10.4 even though this card has RTL8139. Doesn't worry me as long as it works. Funny enough I received a reply from D-Link yesterday (to my enquiry about a driver) to say that this PCI card was not supported on a Mac, even though it says so on the box!

BTW, I didn't try this driver initially as it said it was for Intel based Macs and I've got an old PowerBook G4 (with dead Ethernet port). Just noticed that inside the package is a AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext huh?