[TUTORIAL]how to enable QE/CI on NVidia 6600 GT 256 PCI-E

bubble_gum

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I had a problem: on Leo4all distro I couldn't enable QE/CI. I tried Natit, different kexts from 6600 LE and others, but no luck :)

My specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+

NForce 4 chipset

Nvidia GeForce 6600gt 256 mb pce-e 16x

Leo4All ditro.

After many, many searches I found a way how to enable QE&CI on my graphis card, but I'm sure this is an almost universal way 'cause it uses a GFX-string method. Details of this method you can see here (in russian) or here (english).

If you want, you can use my set of files I used to get QE/CI enabled on my system. There are 2 notes: these kexts will be most suitable for you if you have an Nforce chipset, and the second is that you have to do have to replace device id on your own.

My 6600GT 256 PCI-E kexts

I hope i help you, 'couse when I searched my own solution nobody helped me, and i suppose this post will be useful.

• 3 months later...
Hi guys, I had a problem: on Leo4all distro I couldn't enable QE/CI. I tried Natit, different kexts from 6600 LE and others, but no luck :)

My specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+

NForce 4 chipset

Nvidia GeForce 6600gt 256 mb pce-e 16x

Leo4All ditro.

After many, many searches I found a way how to enable QE&CI on my graphis card, but I'm sure this is an almost universal way 'cause it uses a GFX-string method. Details of this method you can see here (in russian) or here (english).

If you want, you can use my set of files I used to get QE/CI enabled on my system. There are 2 notes: these kexts will be most suitable for you if you have an Nforce chipset, and the second is that you have to do have to replace device id on your own.

My 6600GT 256 PCI-E kexts

I hope i help you, 'couse when I searched my own solution nobody helped me, and i suppose this post will be useful.

Thanks bubble_gum, I'm in the process of re-installing Leo4All after i tried to fix the QE problem I was having with the machine, Its running the 6600GT 256 and its on an Asus A8N-E motherboard. I'm keen to try your fix after the OS is re-installed.

Hopefully it works, it one of our work PC's and I'm not allowed to go home tonight unless its fixed and working...

Cheers

Thanks bubble_gum, I'm in the process of re-installing Leo4All after i tried to fix the QE problem I was having with the machine, Its running the 6600GT 256 and its on an Asus A8N-E motherboard. I'm keen to try your fix after the OS is re-installed.

Hopefully it works, it one of our work PC's and I'm not allowed to go home tonight unless its fixed and working...

Cheers

I finally got the QE working on the 6600GT by using two installers (NVidia Univeral Installer.mpkg and Punk92's NVidia Installer V1.9) I didn't need to mess about too much with kernels to get it working, I ran the universal installer then removed the NVInject.kext from the extensions folder, and ran Punk92's after and replaced the NVinject.kext during the installation process...

A little bit of head scratching, but i finally got around the QE issue...

Not that difficult, just annoying...

Summing up, use Punk92's installer if you have a 6600GT card...

Cheers...

Now on to Logic Studio....

YAY!

• 1 month later...
I finally got the QE working on the 6600GT by using two installers (NVidia Univeral Installer.mpkg and Punk92's NVidia Installer V1.9) I didn't need to mess about too much with kernels to get it working, I ran the universal installer then removed the NVInject.kext from the extensions folder, and ran Punk92's after and replaced the NVinject.kext during the installation process...

A little bit of head scratching, but i finally got around the QE issue...

Not that difficult, just annoying...

Summing up, use Punk92's installer if you have a 6600GT card...

Cheers...

Now on to Logic Studio....

YAY!

as i understand using gfx-strings method is beter cause it's not writing any information in kext during system load, you even don't have to modify any system kexts while using efi-sudio, for example. i suppose, it means that your system is more «native», and working more stable because of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys.

I've been trying all sorts of methods to get it working (injectors, modifying driver's plists, EFI Strings and GraphicsEnabler tag, and finally a modified DSDT). This is a 6600GT 128MB PCI-E card.

Unfortunately, they all seem to get me to the same result - the device is supposedly identified by OSX, and the NVDANV40/50 kexts are loaded. I get the complete resolutions list, but alas, no QI/CE.

I wonder how could that be? I was sure that if the DSDT would work (and it does, I made sure), I would get hardware acceleration, but I don't. Also, DVI cable doesn't seem to work unless I plug a VGA cable with a VGA->DVI adapter.

I'd appreciate any help.

Regards,

Guy.