MacBook Air gets hacked

Dermatea

66 posts in this topic

OK, and Safari was cross platform, meaning he couldn't use it to hack the Windows machine also (provided it was a cross platform target). Same thing with Flash--if Vista were hacked first, then the same Flash exploit couldn't be used on the Mac.

PS--This is the first page for the search terms "known Ubuntu exploits" so shut up about FOSS being invulnerable.

LOL, If the Ubuntu laptop was so easy to hack as you claimed then them guys were stupid passing up a Sony laptop and $5,000.

I can eBay the Mac and get the full price for it. Can't do that with Sony, especially with Linux on it. So I can get an extra $2000 from eBay (from the Mac) or $500 (Laptop with Windows Vista) or an extra $50 (Sony with Ubuntu). While the numbers for the other two systems are exaggerated, I'm sorry, but the money is going to be there with hacking the Mac first.

I never said Ubuntu was invulnerable, I'm saying that if it was as easy as you claimed they would have done it. Anyone with half a brain would have and took the laptop and $5,000 prize, even the organizer expected all three to be not standing.

You said it could be hacked in 10 seconds, they passed up a laptop and $5,000 for 10 seconds work then, LOL, thats the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

Linux remains unhacked because they simply didn't and couldn't find a way in and shows the false claims that opensource software is more vunarable.

Sounds like it to me.

The ten seconds thing is hyperbole. I'm surprised you took it as something serious. If you're going to release everything to the public, you can expect some major vulnerabilities to happen (Safari was opened up like this and look what happened). There ARE vulnerabilities in Linux; did anybody even try to hack the Linux box? I honestly want to know.

Why are you branding me a Linux fanboy when all I've said is Ubuntu didn't get hacked because it's just not the easier target, Yes it has vulnerabilities of course but THIS time the other two OS's got hacked because they where easier to do so KNOWN ones.

It's down to the simple fact that OS X/Safari was easiest because Apple didn't patch it like they should.

You do realize that ALL laptops had the same cash prize, so if Linux was the easy to do they WOULD have done it.

I will agree that Linux isn't the easiest target, but neither are the other two OS-es (Yes, Vista made some great leaps in security).

However, I feel the Mac was hit first because SOMEONE KNEW it would create headlines like this. If Vista were hacked first, nobody would have cared. Nobody would have created this kind of a stir and scream "OMG, MICROSOFT SUXX0RS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVEN" like what is happening with this.

And if you feel like you're getting branded, I forgot my branding iron...

Linux/Windows would have made just as much news, alot of people do use it you know, some say just as many users as OS X or not far off. Qucktime, Safari and Flash are known to be weak and are what MOST people use on each platform.

It's a way of saying, Apple, get off your arse and fix it and stop claiming other OS's have bad security, just look at what they said about Leopard on their own website, even the firewall is not on by default in Leopard.

Oh noez, its teh flamewarz!1!1! :(

Yeah, i want to know if someone actually tried to hack Linux... If they did that means that Linux is safer than Windows(but thats not hard :P ), and OSX. Im not pro apple, but i do think that they hacked the Apple first on purpose, just to make a headline.

And yes, Windows, Linux and OSX all have their flaws, because its made by humans.

The whole point of it was to expose 0day exploits, I somehow find it hard to believe that they didn't hack the Linux laptop. They guy hacked OS X first because he knew there was one in Safari and on the third day Vista got hacked because plugins where allowed as part of the scope.

You get $10,000 for hacking the laptops on the second day and if there was a 0day flaw in Linux don't you think people would have hacked it?

It's time for Apple to batten down the hatches, OS X is being exposed more and more.

Not really, we just have a very pissed market because now that the Macs have switched to Intel people actually want to invest and have both.

It's down to the simple fact that OS X/Safari was easiest because Apple didn't patch it like they should.

You do realize that ALL laptops had the same cash prize, so if Linux was the easy to do they WOULD have done it.

QFE.

Forceman is right here. The Mac was not hacked first to make headlines or anything, the Mac was hacked first because it could be exploited the quickest.

I can eBay the Mac and get the full price for it. Can't do that with Sony, especially with Linux on it. So I can get an extra $2000 from eBay (from the Mac) or $500 (Laptop with Windows Vista) or an extra $50 (Sony with Ubuntu). While the numbers for the other two systems are exaggerated, I'm sorry, but the money is going to be there with hacking the Mac first

This argument doesn't make sense, because someone could hack the ubuntu machine and then put Vista on it if they planned on selling.

Apple fanboys are so funny when they come out of the woodworks...

OMG HACKERS TARGETED OS X CUZ EVERYONE IS IN A COMPUTER WAR AND THE HACKER WAS A WINDOWS FANBOY SO OBVIOUSLY HE IS GUNNA HAX OS X TO SHUT APPLE USERS UP.

Nonny Dude, Mac fanboys were shut up when Apple switched to Intel.

Instead of speculating on what the hacker's intentions were, why not see it as an opportunity for Apple to fix these exploits so they don't affect you, the end user? No OS is 100% secure. Quit being such a fanboy.

Good. Now I have some leverage against someone who has a family member that works for Apple. This'll show how the MacBook Air sucks.

First, if you drop it, it'll break.

Second, if you drop a hammer on it, it'll break.

Third, its OS is more vulnerable on native hardware than on a laptop that natively ran Windows. My OS X install isn't as vulnerable since I won't use it to connect to the Internet, I'll use my Windows installs since there's no drivers for my wireless cards anyway.

QFE.

Forceman is right here. The Mac was not hacked first to make headlines or anything, the Mac was hacked first because it could be exploited the quickest.

This argument doesn't make sense, because someone could hack the ubuntu machine and then put Vista on it if they planned on selling.

He is semi-right. The guy that hacked it took months to figure out the specific Safari flaw and the specific exploit. For Win XP, someone could do it using a paint-by-numbers picture, I mean VB. That guy did his homework and did it, which is a commendable effort, regardless of the why it was done. I don't want the effort to be minimized here.

The thing I have this problem with was the competition itself. Now we'll have people crying for YEARS about how Vista is so much more secure, etc. They needed to do it right by having each laptop done on a separate day or something like this. Three different OS-es will handle security in three completely different ways (even if two of them are *nix variants). The fact that an OS got hacked is a testament to the hacker and not so much as the security of the OS.

I mean take a look at the two previous posters and the {censored} they are spewing within 48 hours of this happening. 48 HOURS OF THE EVENT. This is what I am taking offense against, not the event and not the fact that it happened (it can only lead to a tighter security, which is good).

I mean take a look at the two previous posters and the {censored} they are spewing within 48 hours of this happening. 48 HOURS OF THE EVENT. This is what I am taking offense against, not the event and not the fact that it happened (it can only lead to a tighter security, which is good).

Why take offence? Honestly i'm surprised with all the constant {censored} Windows users have to hear about security it wasn't posted up sooner! It was obvious with Apples marketing tactics this would happen and it would make a loud bang when it did. Blame Steve Jobs.

i think the hackers all figured out the flaw beforehand, so if the flaws are already there,

they probably don't need to hack it on the second day but get it all done on the first day.

then the statement that someone did this on purpose might be true.

i think the hackers all figured out the flaw beforehand, so if the flaws are already there,

they probably don't need to hack it on the second day but get it all done on the first day.

It could only have been done on the second day because the rules were relaxed and you can use default installed apps. Nobody turned up on the first day because it's virtually impossible now on modern OS's to find 0day exploits, default apps and thrid party apps/plugins are where hackers get in which shows in the contest.

Exactly; this wasn't a two-minute network DOS attack like all these PC enthusiast sites are making it out to be. Days, weeks, or even months of research went into this before it happened, and it STILL required massive stupidity on the part of the end user to work (hey, click this link that says www.paypal.com but hovering your mouse over it reveals it goes to http://payp8l.hacku.ru/phish/accountconfirm).

Ok, this is just my personal opinion but if a hack requires the user to initiate it then that's just not a hack at all but just a script. Oh, look at me! I wrote a script file that can format your drive if you click it. Uuuuh, look at me, I hacked OSX! Now Windows is better!

Yeah right.

The fact that it was found before hand doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. When you go to a contest your telling me nobody practices before hand?

If you find a 0day exploit you've then got to hack it, it took them longer to do the adobe Flash one on Vista.

Why take offence? Honestly i'm surprised with all the constant {censored} Windows users have to hear about security it wasn't posted up sooner! It was obvious with Apples marketing tactics this would happen and it would make a loud bang when it did. Blame Steve Jobs.
I blame marketing for the hype surrounding SAFARI (since this is where the hack goes through). It happens just like MSIE for Windows. You just can't embed a web browser deep into the system without there being some major security risks. There is just no way to do it without there being at least one security hole opening up. Then again, I guess this is why we keep seeing security updates that are Safari and MSIE related.OS X itself and even some flavors of Windows are good enough if you use a standard account and non-embedded browsers like Opera.
The fact that it was found before hand doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. When you go to a contest your telling me nobody practices before hand?If you find a 0day exploit you've then got to hack it, it took them longer to do the adobe Flash one on Vista.
But that was because Flash exploits weren't allowed until another day, not because "it took them longer."